Tower-scythe combination?

Padma

Teheuti, many of the cards now have meanings that never existed before, but it seems the cards have adapted to modern life! Take Stars, for instance - meaning the internet (satellites bouncing stuff around) and if you get Stars/Tower then it can mean cell phone or cell phone reception - and with Birds, can simply mean texting...and those meanings are very apt in my readings. I have even had Rider and Stars show up as somebody hacking a website. (and turned out to be true).

Kurenai, to me, Tower and Scythe look like a kind of divorce from something that was ongoing for a long time - so, end of a long term affair or marriage or job, for instance.

Girl Archer, to me, Scythe and Tower would mean that your parents will surprise you in their choice of gift - the Scythe/Tower to me looks like an upset of preconceived notions. :D

Teheuti

Teheuti, many of the cards now have meanings that never existed before, but it seems the cards have adapted to modern life!
I agree and that's as it should be. However, when new meanings completely contradict the old ones then something vital can get lost. Personally I find the original meanings serve as a reliable bedrock - a cross-check to make sure I'm not missing something essential.

I recently saw a book describing Whip as a neutral card - nothing too bad about it, and Scythe has become more of a harvest than a card of peril - let's not think anything bad! Snake is a wise woman and Cross is karmic or was that Tree? The Moon - the 19th century card of honor, regard, recognition and career - is now the main card of romance instead of Heart, unless it is viewed as the Tarot Moon and becomes dreams and psychological fears. Tower has gone from being a very good card to read it as separating what's on either side and isolation. I've even heard someone call Dog a bad card because dogs bite.

Some new meanings maintain the integrity of an original Lenormand card, while some authors and teachers (often those who've newly discovered Lenormand) seek to turn it into something entirely new based on their own view as to what that should be.

How many people even know that the Tower originally meant a long and happy life? What does "clouded" mean? Why would anyone have near and far meanings for cards? Something that survived almost intact for 150+ years is being overturned in less than a decade and sometimes simply on a momentary whim.

Yes I’m all for new meanings but when the old meanings suggest somethibg entirely unrelated and unreconcilable then it might be time to think about how the new meaning fits into the whole.

Teheuti

I should clarify. I don't mean that isolation could not be used as a meaning for Tower. Of course it can, but to make it the ONLY meaning suggests to me that, unless the question itself warrants it, this person has personalized Lenormand to the point that input based on the Lenormand tradition will be totally irrelevant.