Xultun Deck questions

Melvis

Hi!

I have the book and deck, so I can look up something in the book for you, if you like. It's been a while since I looked at the deck (I have over 150 decks -- it takes a while for me to get around to all of them! ;) ) but if I remember correctly the book doesn't give a lot of information on a per-card basis. It seemed more like an epic poem that went along with the cards.

Let me know what cards you're thinking about, and I'll dig out the book and look them up!

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

Melvis

Okay, here goes! The author rambles on a bit, so I might not be able to find all the answers for you. I'll put down what I've found so far!

First off, do you know how the Major Arcana get laid out together so they form one big picture? The first two cards go in the center top row. Below them are four rows of five cards each, like this:

------0-1-----
-2--3--4--5--6
-7--8--9-10-11
12-13-14-15-16
17-18-19-20-21

If you have the Little White Book that came with the deck, the first two cards on top are "The Summit" which the LWB describes, the Column of 2, 7, 12, 17 is the "Intuitive Line", and so on.

Individual cards:

LOVERS
INTERPRETATION: The Lovers present the Fool with the intricacies of relationship and force him to examine love. He must also examine choice, for this is the card of choosing. The man stands under the canopy, protected by the known, by the craft of the Priest. The woman stands under the stars, open to their influence of the unknown, however it may manifest itself.
SIGNIFICANCE: The Lovers are caught in the web of image and reality. The Mirror they hold is dark and clouded and affords them no view of each other, yet they point into it. This card indicates a closeness of the ultimate aim of the Fool's journey. It displays a harmony of the inner and outer life. It indicates inspiration and leads to love.
INVERTED: Inspiration fails and the person resorts to choice, trapped in the opposites again. Confusion results in inhibition and vagueness. Quarrels and disharmony result from a need for stability and openness. Things do not flow together, and there is difficulty in completing a work begun.

CACTUS
INTERPRETATION: There is the ability to bring one's nature into harmony. Fear must be understood, for it is at the root of any search for security. There is no place in the mind fo rfear of any kind. With the understanding of fear, material desires assume a reasonable place in the life of the enquirer and do not overwhelm it with greed. Fears are released.
SIGNIFICANCE: The Cactus stands for endurance, the passive strangth that enables one to see an action through to its completion. The Cactus is not free, for it grows in a pot, yet it has reached maturity, is in flower, and will complete its natural cycle regardless of its "imprisonment."
INVERTED: The surety of endurance has crumbled and the fear of failure has taken over. The soil in the pot has turned sour. The nerve fails the Fool and defeat and surrender are inevitable.

4 of STAFFS
I have those lines, too. Maybe the printer screwed up and they had to fix it.

8 of STAFFS
DESCRIPTION: A man is shown pointing at a group of staffs, as if telling them what to do. He points upward, indicating a higher authority.
INTERPRETATION: The path of activity in an undertaking. Action and swiftness in approaching a goal. Speed towards an end dthat promises happiness.
REVERSED: Internal quarrels and disputes. Difficulties with authorities. Qualms of conscience over methods used to achieve goals.

6 of CUPS:
DESCRIPTION: A well-dressed older man is presenting a gift to a young girl, who seems pleased to receive it. Both seem content.
INTERPRETATION: Contentment and enjoyment that comes from the past. An enduring friendship will be established. There could be gifts from long time admirers, possibly an inheritance.
REVERSED: A reversal of the roles is indicated, and a gift will be, or should be, given to a younger person who is liked and admired by the questioner. An inheritance is not as large as one hoped for.

7 of CUPS:
DESCRIPTION: A man holds a flaming jewel on high, either placing it on the altar or taking it off the altar, which is crowded with all manner of exciting things.
INTERPRETATION: This is the card of attainment and wishes granted, though it gives no guarantee of permanence.
REVERSED: Shows a will to accomplish the desired goal. There is the selection of a particular path and a clear following up of whatever success becomes apparent.

9 of CUPS:
DESCRIPTION: A well-dressed, obviously rich woman makes offerings in thanksgiving for blessings received; also to ask that things continue to be good, for she has lost one cup (no great loss, yet a loss no less).
INTERPRETATION: Ther eis assured material success and advantage in social position that can be used. The future seems certain. A love of beautiful things and the ability to purchase them.
REVERESED: There are mistakes and imperfections induced by the isolation that money and lack of struggle can bring about. There can be an overindulgence in food and drink.

COURT CARDS:
I just saw these cards mentioned...but now I can't find it! Yes, the Warriors are different, but I can't remember how. I'll post again when I find it!

Peace,

Melvis

Melvis

Aha! Found it!

It's in an essay included in the book on Astrological Correlations by Glen Wayne Dixon. He talks about how each suit corresponds to an element and that the astrological signs associated with each element correspond to one of the Court cards. For example, the glyphs for the three Fire signs of the astrological chart are shown on the Lord, Lady, and Servant of Staffs. Then he says, "The Warrior of each suit corresponds to that element as a whole and carries no individual sign."

I hope this helps!

Peace,

Melvis

maya

It is a pleasure to hear that you have come to XULTUN TAROT which I adore very much.

Well, mainly the Xultun Deck is based on ancient artwork by the mayan folks and so it is deeply connected with their mysteries.
It is a true mystery deck.
It also has some affinity with don Juans wisdom so nicely written into Carlos Castanedas books.

The creator Peter Balin did not know much of this when he did the artwork.
He was said to be in a strange creative mood when he started the work and only relaxed when he had finished it fully.

Cactus – obviously strength but does the author say any more?

The Cactus is by no means Strength.
It does also not really mean Justice.
But it is 8 – not 11.

It more means that what you think will be and blossom out from your head, what you create will ripple and make impact: which equals karma – and more common PATTERN.

The pattern that you create is just because it was you who brought it forth.

Look at the cactus. It is a hallucinogenic which promotes the option to recognize CHOICE of PATTERN.

It also means to be imprisoned in ones beliefs and not wanting to understand this is illusion.

If there are further questions, go ahead and ask.
maya

~~~~~~~~~

T A R O C C H I
~~~~~~~~~

maya

Lovers – what are they handing each other?

Well, the Lovers are not necessarily two people.

The pythagorean saw number 6 as harmony.
Carl Jung said man as equipped with amina and animus.
So we can bring it together as amina and animus being or stepping into harmony, embracing our female and male sides.

The mayan saw that all people mirror each other
to find out who they really are:

1. that means that all people are helping us to see who we are
2. and it means that we must find truth within intuitively instead of thinking mentally what we would be

Smoky Mirror or Tezcatlipoca (in Nahuatl) is the symbol that we must lift the smoke from our faces and see.

maya

~~~~~~~~~

T A R O C C H I
~~~~~~~~~

maya

hello zazen,

you are welcome.

maya

~~~~~~~~~

T A R O C C H I
~~~~~~~~~