What a horrible deck!

Ace

Thank you for the alternate opionions! I think with the metal case and leather book cover, this is meant as art work--all the way through. The leather bag is as much a statement as any picture here.

I can see what you mean I think, Hedgecub, would you use it for expessing particularly ANGRY readings?
Ace

leftovercrizack

accually i really like this deck. not one that i would use all the time but I think I would like to have it around

truelighth

hedgecub said:
Aside from the extreme bleakness of this deck, most of the criticisms revolve around its lack of balance. Now I don't know the artist and I can't speak for her, but I suspect she wasn't aiming for balance; from what I've seen and read, she was aiming to turn the world over and expose its dark underbelly, which I personally think she did very well. Again, it's not going to appeal to everyone (or perhaps almost no-one), but I think this is a deck that the target audience is going to understand and appreciate.

I agree with you. I think it was the intent of the artist to turn the world over and expose it. It even says so: this deck shows the more savage and dark nature of humanity in general. I think as a work of art it is interesting. The artist has put a lot of effort and thought into it. But for a tarot deck, I think it is too one-sided and because of the print quality, not suited for it's purpose. But like you said, I am sure it will be a deck that the target audience is going to understand and appreciate. Despite any reviews.

MareSaturni

Well, the deck is REALLY dark. No problem here. Personally, if i were to choose a dark deck, i'd pick one from Luis Royo because i love his artwork, even if it's is sexually explicit sometimes :D

Anyway, i think the artwork of Savage Tarot is beutiful in some cards (like ace of cups, queen of pentacles, the empress), even if dark. I personally deslike scenes of suicide, as they touch me very deeply and i believe they'd make me unable to concetrate on the reading...i'd think/feel much more the pain of the dying person. So this deck, for me, has an imagery that would do me no good in readings and i would not have the courage to use it for others.

We must recognize the world isn't always pink and colourful, a dark deck just wants to show THAT. The dark side. As there are decks that show a more positive view...decks for all tastes.

Helvetica said:
To me, the positive is found inside the self. Sometimes, we can find ourselves in worlds so dark that only the light of our souls and our bloody-mindedness can get us through the day. And sometimes even those are not enough. (...)
I agree with hedgecub about balance, too: that temperance card says it all - the point of the deck is to present a world out of balance. Quite often it is, you know. A thousand times that deck rather than the unreal Hanson-Roberts view of the world.

Beautifully put Helvetica! Our world IS out of balance...look at the catastrophes, the poorness, many with nothing, few with everything...how can that be balance? It's not. The balance we must find inside ourselves...the light and the darkness too. It's unhealthy to live only in the "Savage Tarot" world, as it is unreal to live only in Hanson-Roberts. None of those are balanced, imho.

I guess you just can't throw this tarot in the bin before seeing it. As i said, it probably wouldn't be the deck i'd use in my daily-readings, but i'd like to see it with my own eyes. The Death card is really scary (for me), but that's one card, right?

~Marina

Little Baron

I am sure, given the controversy around it, in a few years time, people will be paying through the roof for a copy from it's first print run and questions about the deck will pop up here from time to time - possibly in the 'trading' section.

I do understand why some find it appealing. I have also had darker times in my life but I think that these days, for me personally, a deck like that, once involved with it, would be hard to get out of. I also do not favour the 'Hanson Roberts' way of life. It is too far down the other end of the scale for me. I prefer something in the middle.

Just my opinions; of course, my opinions are only based on a few scans and a review, since I have never seen the entire deck or held it in person.

LB

MareSaturni

LittleBuddha said:
I do understand why some find it appealing. I have also had darker times in my life but I think that these days, for me personally, a deck like that, once involved with it, would be hard to get out of. I also do not favour the 'Hanson Roberts' way of life. It is too far down the other end of the scale for me. I prefer something in the middle.

Just my opinions; of course, my opinions are only based on a few scans and a review, since I have never seen the entire deck or held it in person.

LB

It's a very intelligent opinion, LB. Decks are out there for people to find one they indentify with. Probably someone who lives in a 'dark world' or is facing a dark time would like a deck in which he/she can see his/her life. Now something cute and fluffy that might make her feel like an outcast from that beautiful world.

Personally, even in dark times, this deck would be too heavy for me. I don't find the artwork ugly, the extrememe darkness doesn't bother me but i don't know if i'd be able to use this deck well. If it would suit me. But that's me.

Well...with the dreams i've been having lately, i don't think i need a dark deck. I have my own when i go to bed :p

~Marina

WolfSpirit

Oh yikes what is that Moon card all about ? I know the Moon can be scary but to me there is also something of freedom and following your instinct in it, the "howling to the moon", the poor person in this card cannot follow anything I'm afraid (as I said in another thread, the Moon is an important card for me and I really don't like it like this :( )
The Death card shows up so dark (litterally this time) on my screen I can't make it out properly, I think I'm glad about that.

There is nothing in this deck that I like, by the way I don't like the Hanson-Roberts either. With all respect to those who like these decks ~ we can't all like the same can we ?

Little Baron

WolfSpirit said:
we can't all like the same can we ?

No. In that sense, I think it is a good thing that there is variety. I have read so many books and so many posts where the author of either has said 'when I started tarot, there wasn't many decks to choose from so I had to settle for this one'. For so many tarot enthusiasts, readers and collectors, it is good that in this time, we can choose one that suits our needs - or many that suit different needs at different times. I suppose, even though some have a strong dislike for the deck and others can see it's uses, it is good that we have the choice.

LB

lunakasha

hedgecub said:
Right, I'm going to stick my neck out and say I like this deck.

It's certainly not a deck for everyone; if I owned a copy, I probably wouldn't use it to read for anyone else. As it is depressingly, almost hopelessly bleak, I feel it would only be useful in very specific situations with very specific people.

*stepping out on a limb with hedgecub*

I can understand why some people might not like this deck....as hedgecub said, it is VERY dark, with some highly disturbing imagery. It is not a deck I would use often....but I can appreciate the artist's vision, and her talent for putting it all together in a way that is interesting to look at it, if not always appealing.

Regarding the comments about this deck being a "Vertigo rip-off"....LOL!
Honestly, that was my first impression too! The similarities are hard to ignore: dark borders/background/theme, photocollage, very similar font (though not identical). I guess I am curious enough to want to view all of the cards in order to make up my mind.

But I do have an issue with the cardstock, as others have mentioned. Also, the review at tarotpassages mentioned that the cards were not cut evenly....for that price, I would hope for better quality. I am anxious to hear more from anyone here who purchases the deck.

:) Luna

Eco74

Just wanted to toss in a comment since I'm one of the people mentioning the lack of balance.

I see the point in balance not being what is meant to be displayed, but still stick to my opinion. Due to the lack of balance, this is not a deck I see myself ever working with or enjoying - except possibly to examine the photographic style more closely.

It is a very well-worked piece by the look of it, and most of the cards shown depict things I have absolutely no objection to. But the overwhelming bleakness is too much of a turn-off for me.
As art, certainly - but as a Tarot deck, a means of advice, guidance and clarification, not in my collection..