Visconti Tarot (Different Versions)

Summerdream

Hello!

I am looking for the LS Visconti Tarot that has gold foil and the devil that has horns and goat feet with 2 people on chains attached to him. It also has the tower card that is shaped tall like a lighthouse and shows the lightening striking it. I am aware that LS made 2 different gold foil Visconti Tarots; one with a book and one without and that both have different devil/tower cards. I found this link that shows the variations:

http://home.comcast.net/~felicityk/tarot/visconti/index.html

According to this website I am looking for the last Visconti on the bottom that shows it is in the set. However a friend of mine got hers in a trade (deck only) and it is the one I am looking for. So I am confused which one to order the set or the deck only to get the devil/tower pictured on the bottom of the website. Could someone that has the one I'm looking for please tell me the ISBN # and let me know if it the set or deck only. I do not like the one with the newer version devil that shows 2 faces (one on his stomach). I want to make sure I order the one I like.

Thank you for any help on this.

Summerdream

jackdaw*

Hi Summerdream,

I have the deck-only version you are looking for, and it confused me for the longest while too! I could not figure out why my deck had a different Devil and Tower from the ones that were commonly found in reviews of the Visconti Gold.

So mine is: Visconti Tarots, ISBN 0-73870-019-3. Bought mine at Amazon.ca.

That's for the deck only, with the Devil and Tower as shown in the bottom samples on the above link. Though if you are interested in the history behind this deck, I understand that the book that comes in the set is really quite good.

Good luck!
QofP

Cerulean

My buying experience was totally different from stores

I only received the book and deck editions with the replacement devil and tower (last one). I bought one set that was given as a gift, so checked the devil and tower first to find the replacement ones. The other set with book I bought, also had the replacement devil and tower. This was in the last three years.

I don't know what other people have been receiving as their deck only sets with the gold foil. My two or three purchases of the small gold foil deck with the booklet only had the older devil and tower--they were gifts to others who didn't mind receiving that style. This was also in the last three years and from local stories only, not online.

Perhaps others who had bought their Lo Scarabeo decks or book-deck sets recently in 2005, online or through stores, have different stories.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Summerdream

Thank you guys for all the info. I ended up buying the LS Visconti Gold Set from Tarot Garden and Jeannette opened it up for me to make sure it was the devil/tower card I wanted. I can't wait to get it and I bet the book that goes with it is really good too.

Summerdream:)

jackdaw*

That's fantastic! We all have to love Jeannette, she always goes above and beyond the call of duty :)

Hope you like the deck. I've been looking at the Dal Negro version lately, but after buying the Gold version it just looks washed out to me. I'm quite happy with my first choice.

QofP

PS: what an interesting link you'd posted above! I love the variations in the interpretations, even in those by the same artist. And like you, I'm quite partial to the Tower and Devil in my (our) deck!

DoctorArcanus

Summerdream said:

Really a great page. I am happy to see the different versions compared!
I think most of the towers are reasonable, but the 2002 Atanassov is the only good devil :)
Maybe we should all try to produce our own devil/tower and see if we are more satisfyed!

Marco

Summerdream

Well I've received my deck and all I can say is that it's spectacular. The gold adds a medieval feel to it. I'm glad Jeannette checked the deck for me. I got the set so I have the book too. I started reading it last night and it is interesting so far.

Summerdream

DoctorArcanus said:
Really a great page. I am happy to see the different versions compared!
I think most of the towers are reasonable, but the 2002 Atanassov is the only good devil :)
Maybe we should all try to produce our own devil/tower and see if we are more satisfyed!

Marco

Hi Marco,

That page really is awesome. I agree that the 2002 devil is the best one! Creating our own devil/tower would certainly be an interesting concept wouldn't it?

DoctorArcanus

Yes, it would be VERY interesting!
Where would you start from?
I think I would look for some manuscript of The Revelation, with Babylon for the Tower and possibly The Beast for the Devil.....I will think about it :)

Marco

Summerdream

DoctorArcanus said:
Yes, it would be VERY interesting!
Where would you start from?
I think I would look for some manuscript of The Revelation, with Babylon for the Tower and possibly The Beast for the Devil.....I will think about it :)

Marco
I'm not sure where I would start. If you make a devil or tower I'd love to see it or hear about your progress ;)