Collection Online-Resources

Bernice

Ross, Huck, Kwaw & Cerulean,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

ROSS:...but I'm going to translate all of these and make them available to English readers on the web.
A mammoth task! But will be very much appreciated by me. :) :) :)

Bee

Ross G Caldwell

Anyone with access to the venerable journal "Archaeologia", volume 8 (1787) can assist this project of collecting 18th century historians of playing cards. There are three articles in English on playing cards there -

Barrington, Daines, "Observations on a picture by Zuccaro from Lord Falkland's collection supposed to represent the Game of Primero". pp. 133-146

Bowle, John, "Observations on card-playing By the Reverend Mr. Bowle. In a letter to the Hon. Daines Barrington". pp.147-151

Gough, Richard, "Some observations on the invention of cards and their introduction into England". pp. 152-164

This article in the same volume might mention playing cards -

Willett, Ralph, "Observations on the origin of printing. In a letter to Owen Salusbury Brereton" pp. 239-250

Ross

dios

archive.org

My first post, Hi to all,

Found some scanned old gems of books at archive.org with the search term ´playing cards´:
The invention of printing
Descriptive catalogue of playing and other cards in the British Museum
Prophetical, educational and playing cards

Regards

Bernice

Many thanks for that link dios!

Bee :)

dios

Ross G Caldwell said:
Johann-Gottlob-Immanuel BREITKOPF (1719-1794), "Versuch den Ursprung der Spielkarten”.
The most important study of the 18th century. Not available on the internet.

Ross

I recently found this book at books.google.com. The lettertype makes it hard to read, even if you know the German language.

Huck

Le bische e il giucco d'azzardo a Venizia, 1172-1807
Author: Giovanni Dolcetti
Publisher: Manuzio
Year: 1903
Language: Italian

http://www.archive.org/details/lebischeeilgiuc01dolcgoog

Not all possible ways to see the text work very well.
I recommend DJVU in the Menu.

The text has a lot about prohibitions ... only occasionally about playing cards

Huck

Title: Game and Playe of the Chesse
A Verbatim Reprint Of The First Edition, 1474
Author: Caxton
(First printed English variation of the "Liber de moribus hominum et officiis nobilium sive super ludo scacchorum ('Book of the customs of men and the duties of nobles or the Book of Chess')" by the Italian Dominican monk Jacobus de Cessolis circa 1300.

Cessolis' work was translated into many other languages (first printed edition at Utrecht in 1473) and was the basis for William Caxton's The Game and Playe of the Chesse (1474), one of the first books printed in English.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10672/10672-h/10672-h.htm