Book of Law Study Group 1.3

cardlady22

every- each, individually and separately

star- (aside from the obvious; a celestial object used to chart/guide a course or to keep track of the progression)
*state, condition, situation, fortune

Aeon418

Abrac said:
By 'star' Crowley means Khabs.
Also Khabs is the House of Hadit. (AL 2:2) The Hebrew letter Beth means House and corresponds to Mercury, which is Kokab, Star.

The word House implies a dwelling or a shelter. But it also relates to the phrase 'to hide'. Hadit is the hidden one. The knower who can never be known. His house is a Temple - The House of God.

Every man and every woman is a star - a House of God.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Every man and every woman is a star - a House of God.

A House of God, as in "The House of God/The Tower/War"?

Hadit said:
3.3 Now let it be first understood that I am a god of War and of Vengeance.

Is there a relationship between the "star", the House of Hadit, and trump XVI?

thorhammer

Working only on my understanding of the Tower's interpretation - the paradigm shift, the crumbling of set ways, the divine lightning bolt invading the structures of one's life, possibly even "possessing" "the House of God" [one's body] in the sense that the HGA can only experience things (almost vicariously) though our awareness.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Oooh, also -

Trump XVII follows XVI - The Star as self-awareness and connection to our HGA following the invasion of that greater being into our consciousness.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

similia said:
A House of God, as in "The House of God/The Tower/War"?
If the shoe fits.... ;)
similia said:
Sure. In the second chapter of Liber Legis, Hadit describes himself in terms highly reminiscent of Kundalini.

"I am the secret Serpent coiled about to spring: in my coiling there is joy. If I lift up my head, I and my Nuit are one. If I droop down mine head, and shoot forth venom, then is rapture of the earth, and I and the earth are one."

The raising of the Serpent Kundalini is analogous to the lightning flash which destroys the Tower or House of God - the sense of separate existence. When Nuit and Hadit (Shiva/Shakti) are joined the whole field of subject and object, the knower and the thing known are no more. The Eye of Shiva is opened and the universe is destroyed.

But that's the highest sense. Most of us are more familiar with "rapture of the earth" through sexual release - orgasm. For a brief instant the Eye of Shiva opens, and then closes. :( Of course after 2000 years of Christianity the notion that sex is communion with the divine is quite shocking to some people. :laugh:

Scion

thorhammer said:
...in the sense that the HGA can only experience things (almost vicariously) though our awareness.
Aeon418 said:
The raising of the Serpent Kundalini is analogous to the lightning flash which destroys the Tower or House of God - the sense of separate existence.
And doesn't this answer Similia's question from the BOL 1.2 thread?:
similia said:
what does the HGA want from us? Why would the company of heaven be interested in unveiling themsleves at all? Do they want to participate in some kind of exchange with us, or are we forcing ourselves onto them?
Awakening... the opening of the eyes that opens the Eye. which again goes back to the interdependence of the worlds. They need to wake us as much as we need waking, but like any good fairy tale we run from the spirits and they pursue us.

Depending on your level of Gnostic terror, the HGA fairytale may seem like gothic rape, or alternately like romantic union. ("Spend that kiss which is my heaven to have...") And as Aeon says, Christianity has spent the better part of two millenia convincing people that their priesthood has to do the waking up for the congregation while we wait passsively like the good sheep we aren't.

There's an esoteric two-way street here which reminds me of Maya Deren talking about the lwa, "Great gods cannot ride little horses." As someone said in another of the threads: if you're asking these questions and looking at this topic then your HGA is nudging you towards a question and an answer.

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I didn't say that I viewed Thelema as you state - I implied (perhaps too indirectly, for which I apologise) that people in general, upon hearing the maxim "every man and woman is a star" infer that it gives them the right to believe in themselves as their own God/dess.
Oh yeah, for sure Kat! This is even worse when the 'people' start on Do what thou wilt ... okay (they say) It is my will to ride off on your motorcycle and never come back ... what they forget is that there is a collective will as well that has been constructed for social neccesseity and that collective will prosecutes theives, for if they do not believe in someone elses right and will to retain property then they have annuled their own right (whats good for the goose ...)

The best part I like about line three is that if you apply it to OTHERS and not your own ego THEN you se the magical potential behind this powerful invocation. Every course, every class I have taught at the Stiener School I start with convincing each person that they really are a star. with a specific purpose, intent, genius and message. It has been commented that my students seem to learn quickly and accomplish a lot ... and feel good about themselves . (But I dont just tell them that ... many people have to train and be drilled in all sorts of ways to start believeing it and believeing in themselves)

PS to all:

Damn! I relyy woukld like to get involved here but I'm dealing with a LOT of things that are far removed from computers .... and civilisation actually ;)

Soooo short of time ... please scuse the atrozuioghs spelling as well ;)

Yygdrasilian

...go to heaven

similia said:

Consider how these might fit together:

5: STAFF
._______.
[....XIV....]
[......5.....]
[...disks...]
[......5.....]
[..wands..]
[......5.....]
[...cups...]
[......5.....]
[.swords..]
[......V.....]

6: PILLARS
.______’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ______.
[....6....].........[....6....]
[..cups..].........[.disks.]
[..........].........[.........]
[.....6...].........[....6....]
[wands.].........[swords]
[..........].........[.........]
[....VI...].........[...XV...]

7: SPIRAL
................7 cups....>>............
.........^^........................7......
.........7...........XVI........disks....
....swords..............7.....vv........
........^^............wands............
.........VII................................

Myrrha

Crowley says in part II of the introduction to the BOL:
AC said:
Every event is a uniting of some one monad with one of the experiences possible to it.

“Every man and every woman is a star,” that is, an aggregate of such experiences, constantly changing with each fresh event, which affects him or her either consciously or subconsciously. Each one of us has thus an universe of his own, but it is the same universe for each one as soon as it includes all possible experience. This implies the extension of consciousness to include all other consciousness.

This seems to be saying that we don’t have continuing, enduring existence as individuals the way we think we do. Rather we are each an aggregate of experiences, changing each time we unite with some new bit of experience.

But then in the new comment (1.8 where he is defining the word Khabs which is Star) AC says
AC said:
“This “star" or “inmost light" is the original, individual, eternal essence.”

So it sounds much more like each of us is a solid, enduring, single being. Perhaps the eternal essence he mentions in the comment is the “monad” that undergoes the experiences in the quote from the introduction. Still, these two statements about what the “star” is seem contradictory. One is reassuring: I am an individual eternal essence; and the other is completely disorienting: I am an aggregate of experiences and not separate from everyone/everything else.

Then in One Star in Sight, which Aeon418 just quoted AC says
AC said:
All souls eternally exist,
Each individual, ultimate
Perfect

It is probably a question of perspective again. Anyway I'm jsut trying to figure out what he means here by "star".