Animal Decks- Random thoughts

Mistteak

OK some pretty random questions:

OK, as I am an equine nut! I have failed to find a horse Tarot 78 card deck (or a really nice Dog deck).

Should I choose to "create" one, "Create" being I would design the base layout of the cards, and write the meaning booklet. I have in my head Ideas for cards, what type of horse, style, what you would put in the picture so it was true to RWS . (Only because it is such a benchmark - easier for people to relate to) .. maybe..LOL

I can't draw, so my issue would be what type of artist should one look for, and artist that has done tarot before? and unknown that suits my needs? Obviously colaboration and artist input would be accepted ..

And would you approach a publisher? or self publish? Kickstart?

Anyone know what % artist gets to writer? 50/50? (of what ever is left after publisher etc take there cut)

reall

like your idea!^^ I advise you to write down your concept and skech and start working on a book and then you may search for artist/painter or photographer on deviantart?^^;)))
they have wide selection of profesional/semi profesional and hobby like me who are all good!^^ ;))) and best thing you can see portfolio and what suits you best?^^ ;)))
maybe you can start it as a collab project?^^ ;))) and explain all f.a.q there?^^:))

one note if I recal corectly most of *famous publishers don't accept collab deck?x,X
so kickstarter may be better option!^^

or if you are confident in your idea you can present it to publisher and im sure they will find you a good artist? but price for commission will rise significatly,,, ;)))

not sure for profit/legal rights share ratio if any?^^ lolz ;))

best luck!^^ ;)))

HudsonGray

That's why I did a ferret deck, nobody else had done one.

If you can't draw, can you collage? You might try asking about a partner in an art project over on Craig's List under 'artists', or see if a friend can draw.

With publishers I believe any royalties to partners is divided evenly between them (at least for illustrated kids books that's how it works). This is after the agent gets their 15%, too. Or you can arrange a contract in advance saying what percentage you'd be getting and they'd be getting in any sales for self publication.

Mistteak

Sadly no

Yeah, no artistic talent here at all. Creative, but not artistic. I have started the cards descriptions and meanings and what 'vision' i have for the pic to look like. So that is a start.

I will finish that, it cost nothing but time. And then look at the other suggestions. Another reason to live this site, the info gained is so useful.

And lets face it, if its popular on kickstart the other publishers will enquire . And who would not want a deck of horses?? I am amazed its not been done. As you Said Ferrets, rabbits, mythical creatures, birds, frogs, plants - oodles of cats ..

but no horses??

HudsonGray

Or mules or donkeys either.

There was at least one cow deck too. And a rat deck.

Mistteak

Or mules or donkeys either.

There was at least one cow deck too. And a rat deck.

A cow deck? .. OMG, If I ever git this off the ground, at least there are plenty of other animals I can work on for the next one.

Wonder if they were just put in the too hard basket?

wooden-eye

Have you seen the art of Kim McElroy? She's an amazing horse painter. I remember seeing a painting with a horse goddess. It was beautiful. Magical, but not at all uni-corny. She might want to make a tarot... You never know.

kell

Have you seen the art of Kim McElroy? She's an amazing horse painter. I remember seeing a painting with a horse goddess. It was beautiful. Magical, but not at all uni-corny. She might want to make a tarot... You never know.

Yes, Kim illustrated Way of the Horse oracle cards. Each card is majestic.

LupaGreenwolf

Well, there's always the option of doing what Ted Andrews did with Animal-Wise and use photos, but then you have to either sift through public domain pics for good enough quality, or pay for the images. And then you still need to design the backs and borders and such. Not an impossible task, but still a fair bit of work.

Mistteak

Well, there's always the option of doing what Ted Andrews did with Animal-Wise and use photos, but then you have to either sift through public domain pics for good enough quality, or pay for the images. And then you still need to design the backs and borders and such. Not an impossible task, but still a fair bit of work.

Yes I would like actual artist. I have sourced one that I will have a chat to, and see there ideas, and see if my vision would a: be possible, B; be viable and then I will do the basic rounds .. Launch the Idea to places and see what response I get, Submit another example, thanks no thanks ..

Its trickey to see how to do this, but who knows it may pay off.

I went with a local artist, who is very good with animal portraits. She understands tarot, and has considered it previously, but not sure what to put in the cards.. so seems a good mix