The Masque Tarot - My Second Tarot Deck

GoserGosarian

Thats interesting....adding the princess.

The reason I chose to replace the page with princess is balance. It just seemed that the female aspect was underrepresented...king, knight, page...and then queen. Plus, traditionally, the princess seems more of an "innocent" and sheltered card, more like a child than a court page/gopher.

blue_fusion

here's the king of fans. the background's definitely going to change once i get a hold of a scanner. the figure of the king will be retained. i had hoped for a more tomb looking background but my mouse drawing skill proved inadequate. so it became more abstract. a pity though that the ceremonial fans and torches are indistinguishable.... :)

blue_fusion

sorry bout that. Here is the king of fans card... :)

Attachments

• fans_king.jpg
    fans_king.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 224

Major Tom

GoserGosarian said:
Thats interesting....adding the princess.

The reason I chose to replace the page with princess is balance. It just seemed that the female aspect was underrepresented...king, knight, page...and then queen. Plus, traditionally, the princess seems more of an "innocent" and sheltered card, more like a child than a court page/gopher.

I replaced the page with princess for similar reasons - also because I liked the way the Spiral treated princesses.

Blue_fusion20 - How do you invision 'splitting' the aspects of the knight between princess and knight? Is it strictly a female/male thing? I see the active qualities of the knight as being completely sexless...

You might want to look at some of the court card discussions on the Using Tarot Cards board...

With 5 court cards did you consider the possibility of 5 suits? })

blue_fusion

Major Tom said:

I replaced the page with princess for similar reasons - also because I liked the way the Spiral treated princesses.

Blue_fusion20 - How do you invision 'splitting' the aspects of the knight between princess and knight? Is it strictly a female/male thing? I see the active qualities of the knight as being completely sexless...

You might want to look at some of the court card discussions on the Using Tarot Cards board...

With 5 court cards did you consider the possibility of 5 suits? })

again, i view the court cards as levels of human development. the pages symbolizing children (yet androgenous), the knight and princess, symbolizing youth, and the King and Queen, symbolizing maturity.

for the princess, i split the youth in two parts, the princess here symbolizing the more feminine, feeling, emotional, aspects of youth.

for the knight, this would be masculine aspects of youth.

perhaps it is strictly male/female. but in changing the page to princess, i find that the child aspect is lost, as a young woman is very different from a child (physically, emotionally, and spiritually), and in youth, in puberty, there is the stark differentiation between what is male and what is female. the discoveries, the mixed emotions, the journeys and paths taken, i believe, differ much. this is what i hope to capture in splitting the knight and princess.

and, no i haven't read the threads you recommended, though i will now.

also, i have considered the creation of a fifth suit (the spirit, the culmination of the four elements), but this will seem more superior to the already existing four. and i've always believed that the major arcana already represents this.

hope that answers your queries.

:)

Major Tom

blue_fusion20 said:
hope that answers your queries.
:)

Thank you for your answers. :)

Let me see if I understand: Speaking hypothetically - your Princess card could - when used for divination - actually represent a young man undergoing an emotional crisis? And your Knight card could represent a young woman in action?

blue_fusion

Major Tom said:

Thank you for your answers. :)

Let me see if I understand: Speaking hypothetically - your Princess card could - when used for divination - actually represent a young man undergoing an emotional crisis? And your Knight card could represent a young woman in action?

yes. precisely. i just wanted to isolate the feminine aspect of adolesence. :)

FeralFey

Wow!! I thought since you were kind enough to look at my cards, I'd repay the favor and check out yours. I'm IMPRESSED. They are beautiful. Wonderful work!!!

Then, of course, I couldn't help but read the other topics of discussion in this thread and I find it interesting that you're splitting the the knight into two parts and still keeping the page. I definitely see your point on doing so and there seems to be something esthetically pleasing about having five court figures instead of the traditional four. I don't think it's something that I would explore in my practice deck, but I think it may solve some of my issues with my novel deck. It, at the very least, has given me something to think about in how I'm going to approach the page and the knight cards when I get around to making my own.

Keep up the great work!

--FeralFey

starfish66

Blue -

They are just beautiful - your HP :THP is stunning! I'm hoping to see these as a deck to purchase soon... ;)

:TAW Starfish

blue_fusion

hi. here's another installment for my tarot deck. it's the queen of fans. please tell me what you guys think of it. by the way, thanks for those who gave comments on my earlier cards.

Attachments

• fans_queen.jpg
    fans_queen.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 210