The Tarotmand Spread

ghost271

I've loved the style and concept of Lenormand cards and how the Grand Tableau spread is used and how Key cards are used as focus points. Unfortunately I had ZERO luck with reading even the simplest layouts with the Lenormand cards. So I decided to sit down and try to create a similar spread system but using the Tarot cards and this is what I came up with so far. Anybody who is a veteran Lenormand reader PLEASE add your input to this.

So far this is what I've come up with.

You start by pulling all the Majors out of the deck. This leaves you with the Minors only except on special occasions as I'll explain later.

You'll next need to pull a significator card to represent the sitter. This is important as the reading and timings are based off of it's position in the spread. Four rows of nine cards each are dealt out, starting from the top left to right for the first row. Then nine more left to right for the second, etc until all four lines are laid out.

Now here is where we need to decide personally what cards will represent 'Key' issues for the sitter. All Court Cards will represent people in the sitters life, unless you designate the Pages to represent specific messages and news. Again, its up to you. For example, I will designate the 4 of wands to represent a wedding. The 2 of Cups as the Key card for relationships. 3 of Pentacles or 8 of pentacles as the sitters work situation. the cards to the left/right, above/below that card are the influences that affect that specific issue.

This then opens the spread up to answer several questions that the sitter may have. If for example they want to know if their father and them will be on speaking terms anytime soon, you'd ask the sitter for a description of the father. Then you'd look for the court card that matched that description. you could then look to the surrounding cards to see how that situation will rectify itself. If that Court card is not around, then the answer would be 'Not in the forseeable future," or " The cards aren't showing me the outcome at this point."

As another example. Lets say the sitter wants to know about starting a new job. My intuition and practice tells me to look for the Ace of Pentacles. Once I find the Ace I'd look to the surrounding cards for more information. Lets say there was the 6 of Wands to the right of it or the 8 of Wands. I'd read that as meaning starting a job that requires you to move or a job that has you travelling.

If for whatever the Significator card does not appear in the spread, collect all the cards, reshuffle, and relay the spread.

Now for the exception to the rule with the Major Arcana. If for whatever reason you feel it would be best to include specific MA cards to represent people or situations then you should include those into the deck. So for example if the sitter wants to know about getting pregnant, you could then include the Empress card to represent that specific subject. You would then read the four cards surrounding it for more details. Or if I wanted to know if my deceased father was helping me out from the other side, I could include the Emperor card into the deck and see what things he's helping with on this plain.

Now for timing this is how I have set it out. Each vertical row of cards represents the beginning and then the ending of the season. Starting with the row that the significator lands in and the current season. So for example the King of Wands representing me lands in the 4th column. I would then count Column 4 as the beginning of fall. Column 5 as the ending of the Fall season. Column 6 as the beginning of Winter. Column 7 the end of Winter, etc. Once you reach the 8th row you just carry over to Row 1 and continue until you you reach the 3rd and last row. That gives you the time frame of one full year. So using the example above, lets say I want to know when I can expect a new job. I scan the spread and find the Ace of Pentacles in column 6. I'd read that as finding work in either Nov/Dec. Lets say the Ace isn't in the spread but the three of Pentacles is. Look at the timing as a period where they may go back to school or take a course to help them get work.