AT Comparative Study - A - The Sun - 19

Melvis

Leonardo Da Vinci Tarot

Description:

Two babies sit naked on the ground in front of rolling hills which lead to a body of water in the background. Beyond the water are distant hills. The sun takes up a relatively small space in this card, sitting in the upper left corner with wavy rays emanating from it.

One child is kissing the other. Next to these two there are flowers growing, perhaps irises or lilies? On the right edge next to the lake we see some houses built on a hill.

Symbolism:

There are no adults that we can see in this picture, yet the babies are relaxed, and even naked (showing their openness and lack of fear). The open fields behind them give the feeling of peace and tranquility throughout the land. The fact that we do see the houses in the background indicates that the children do have somewhere to go, that their home is nearby, yet they feel safe here. The sun with it's squiggly rays makes me think of those hot summer days when you can see the heat radiating off of cars and such. It's summer, and the time to enjoy the outdoors in all its glory.

Comparison:

There are two babies in it, like the Medieval Scapini and others, but there is no horse and no wall behind them. Children in this card always seem to indicate to me a re-birth of sorts, an indication that it is a new beginning starting from a point of full knowledge of what has gone before. Like Contrascarp said, the Sun is so important in our lives, yet we do sometimes take it for granted. The children in this card seem to be oblivious to the sun, while in some of the others they are holding the sun or controlling it. Either way, the children seem to be ignorant of the sun's true nature, yet they revel in its benefits. Perhaps it shows an ability to appreciate the 'big picture', even after all the trials and tribulations of what has gone before on the Fool's Journey.

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

mooncat2

Tarot of the Animal Lords

Description

Beneath a bright Sun two hares dance , hand in hand , in a green meadow. They wear green jackets and colorful diamond patterned trousers. In the fore ground is a tangle of thorny bramble.

Symbolism

Hares are a sign of good fortune, fertility and abundance and a creature of the dawn - rebirth.
One has blue diamonds, the other blue indicating the joining and balancing of m/f energies.
This card reminds me that although life can be difficult - the bramble - it is important to play, to dance, to connect with others in a celebration of life.
Personal growth comes through uniting and balancing my m/f energies , being able to see myself with clarity and letting my true sun shine.

Comparisons

No wall behind but a wall of bramble in front.
Not two children but two hares - no horses or roosters!
The hares are clothed unlike many cards where the figures are naked.
No red banners but red patterned trousers and red fruit on the bramble.

LWB - Clarity, sincerity, new beginning.

mercenary30

The Egyptian Tarot by Alasia

Symbolism and imagery – Depicted in ancient Egyptian style, A woman stands in a white diaphanous gown with her arms out, bent forearms upraised to the sky. Amulets hang down from her elbows. She has two ostrich feathers on a simple headpiece. Above her the sun, its rays shining down, each ray ending in a small hand. The hands bringing blessings to those below.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks – This version of the sun is very simplistic and to the point. Unlike many other decks where nature is a part of the scene, this one gets more to the point of how the Egyptians thought of the sun. They believed the sun was life. The picture on the card shows a woman, but this particular painting is of something the Egyptians called “KA”. The life force, soul, spirit. Although the human Ka was depicted on the card, this represents all forms of Ka, no matter where it resided. The sun in this picture is active in a visual manner, the little hands bringing blessings to the represented Ka. So the suns influence and importance is not assumed here but displayed.

Initial reactions – My initial reaction was that woman on the card was some sort of goddess, which seemed strange to me considering that in Egyptian Mythos all the sun deities were male. In doing some research, I thought this might have been a goddess called Maat. She is usually depicted with a single ostrich feather in her headpiece. She represents justice, so it didn’t seem to fit. I also like how the little hands come off from the rays of the sun, showing how active the sun is in life.

Book Notes – The book notes is what pointed me to the Ka. In ancient Egypt, a person’s Ka was prayed for and sacrifices were made to ensure the continued support in the after life. In the case of a Pharaoh, this was supposed to done for an eternity, but in all reality it seldom even lasted for one generation.

paradoxx

Faery Wicca Tarot

Description:
Two trees on two hills create a canopy, the sun sets between the trunks. A small child clothed in red rides a horse on a purple and gold blanket. Yellow and red flowers growno n shurbs beind teh horse, there are also two evergreen trees in the background to the left side. Lots of green in this card.

Comparrisons:
Child on horse
sun in the background
The hills and trees make a sort of natural wall, except this time it is waht is above that cannot be seen.

Analysis:
innocene for sure. The orse is calm, and moving to the left. The bright eyed child brings a youth and vigor to any reading (especially if there is a card that the youth is looking at.) The title of this Sun card is "The Sun Child" and the subtitle is "Grian Paiste" (Do not ask me to euphonize that, i couldn't even if i tried). Lke I said, there is a lot of green in thsicard, symbolic of the summer growth and the days that we spend time outside in the sun. The red for the youth is so that he doesn't get too far out of sight, as red strikes loudly in contrast to green. The Purple and Gold blanket on the horse is traditionally seen as royalty, but also purity and innoncence. The youth remains unafraid of the horse he rides.

lunalafey

>LEO<

mooncat2 said:
Beneath a bright Sun two hares dance

rabbits, again!

Tarot of the Cat People~

description- A couple walk hand in hand, 'backs towards the reader'. They face each-other, free hand outstreached. Before them is a large Lion's face. The People are the people of the suit of swords, 'Thnossis'- Fire people from the Ruby kingdom.

symbolism- The Sun card is ruled by the Sun astrologically. In astrology, the Sun rules the sign of Leo. Leo deals with things ruled by the fifth house, things like; love affairs, children, pleasures & entertainment.

impressions & thoughts- I see this image as one of a joyful union that will most likely produce children. The union is one of strenth and happiness.

comparison- there is not one thing that can be compared to the usual imagery for this XIX
other than a couple.

LWB- paraphrased
the lion represents the sun, it's mane like the halo bout the orb of fire & gas. The couples mirrored stances reflect the mutual accomplishments and satisfactions. Symmetry expresses the balance of a harmonious relationship. A union tht can bring forth life just as the Sun sustains life upon the planet. This is a Union of All.
keywords- satisfction, success, ccomplishments, contentment, joy, devotion, love, engagement, warmth, high=spirits, rewards, new freindships, liberation, and pleasures in the simple things.

Mimers

Marseille - Kris Hadar's

This would not be complete without a comentary on the original source right?

Description

This card says so much with so little. The sun itself takes up half the card. The sun's face is somber and serene. Shooting out from it's sphere are alternating straight and curved rays. Huge drops of sunshine (or yods) fall from the sun and shower over 2 twin boys. The boys look intently at eachother and are clothed with only a loin cloth. One boy touches the other behind his neck, and the other touches the first boy right in the center of his chest. In back of the boys is a brick wall. The ground they stand on is golden from the rays of the sun.

Symbolism

The sun taking up most of the card is the most obvious symbol here to me. Its life giving rays almost touching the edges. So plenty is this life giving energy that it drips from the sun like honey and feeds us here on earth. This is about life giving force or energy. Golden opportunities. There are no shadows in this card.

The twins are mirror images of each other and they stare at each other intently. This card comes after the Moon. The card of shadows. Once we complete the task of embrasing the shadow side of ourselves, we can look at ourselves in a whole new light. This is what the twins seem to be doing. They are young and innocent. They see themselves exactly as they are and being that they are naked, there is nothing hidden. They touch eachother so as not to lose touch with their other half. This is about the freeing that comes with learning to love yourself. Embrasing it and keeping in touch with it.

The wall is behind them. We could either surmise that they are encircled by it, or that they are outside the walls. I chose to think they are outside of the walls. Free from the restrictions and boundries.

The sun card is definitely a card of new found freedom and innocense. A card of wonder and awe. Warmth and strength. It is about letting go and conquering boundries. Self discovery. There is also a sense of love and acceptance for one's self.

Comparisons

Well, this is the deck others should be compared to, IMHO. We see the innocense of youth and the wall and of course the big huge sun. The yods seem to have dissapeared from the more modern deck and of course there is only one child usually in the more modern decks.

LWB

Anyone speak French? If so, could you interpret this?

Le Soleil

Le principe de la lumiere universelle, le verbe eternal, le coeur, l'enfant, l'or

-droit: Amour, paix, generosite, argent
-renv. : Chagrin, problemes, financiers.

jmd

A brief translation:
  • The Sun

The principal of universal Light, of the eternal Word [though in French it is rendered as the active principle, and thus reads 'Verb'], the heart, the infant/child [same word in French], Gold

-upright: Love, peace, generosity, money [though this also means 'Silver']
    -rev. : Chagrin, problems, financial woes.
Hope this helps...

Chronata

Morgan Greer

The sun...

Description/symbols
A blonde male and blonde female face each other in the glow of a big orange ball. the sky is yellow, a stone wall is visable behind them, and they are surrounded by a profusion of sunflowers.

Comparison
There are two figures, a wall, sunflowers, and of course...a depiction of the sun.
No horse here.

Analysis/reactions
Although the male and female look at each other with something like love...they appear to be young. not babies, or children...but more like teens, and the first innocent love of youth.

They do look young and inexperienced to me. There is joy here, and mistakes yet to be made in the name of Beginnings...and trying something new. The wall here seems like a barrier, not to the past but to the future...almost like they are not yet ready for the responsibilities of adulthood. The sunflowers, which always seem like a symbol of growth, summer, and the seeds of new begginnings remind me of satelite dishes in this card, the way they face the sky.

I see something I have never thought of before in this card...and that is the thought of experimentation...the trying new things, with the joy and innocence of experiencing something for the very first time.

Never thought to look in the LWB before....(amazed It still has one!)
Warmth and Sincerity in a relationship. Liberation from limitation. Growth, expansion.

To this I add...inner child wonderment, moving forward, play, openess, experimentation, seeds planted for the future.

Imagemaker

faces or not

I wanted to compare the Sun cards and note which ones have given the sun facial features and which ones left it "natural."

Some of these decks have been described previously, some have not. I'll just do a simple description related to features:

1. No sun at all! (on the sun card!)
a. Spiral--An angel looks up, rising against against colorful billows, no distinct disk of light or face to denote the sun.
b. Osho Zen--a man looking at a grasshopper on his hand. No distinct sun at all. The title is "innocence." (Related to a baby on a horse?)

2. Suns with facial features:
a. Victoria Regina
b. Tarot of the Old Path -- plus two people reaching up similar to many Judgment cards, plus a rising Phoenix
c. New Palladini--sun only with features, shining down on a waterlily flower
d. Acquarian--sun only
e. New Vision--where we see the backside of the child and horse, but the face of the sun as from the front side. The sun is two-faced?

3. Suns that are natural:
a. Animal Lords--where two rabbits hold hands and there is a white glow above them.
b. Fey--sun with a fey looking up at it.
c. Motherpeace--a sun, plus: in the sky, a giraffe, butterfly, and zebra. Six people on the ground are holding hands in a triangle shape.
d. Londa--a naked woman (hunched, from the side) on top of a mountain against a white light--very minor sun. Is this depicting innocence, too?

Are these the 3 main representations of the sun? none, with features, or a source of light? Innocence does seem to be the cross-image quality that fits fairly well.

Before this I never considered Innocence to be the predominant meaning of the sun card. Many of the ones with features look rather stern and judgmental. No innocence there . . . am I completely off?

lunalafey

cat people belongs in group #1
BUT-
the lions face represents the sun