RWS Tarot 101 Eight of Cups

PAMUYA

Being new to tarot I want to take the time to explore each card and hear all the different interpretations, and opinions on the cards. Each of us has our own special insights and experiences which we can share and help each other grow in our knowledge of tarot. I read from the Rider/Waite/Smith deck, it would be very interesting to hear from you that work from other decks as well.

Eight of Cups

“I take time off to regroup my energy and rediscover my sense of self” Greer

The first thing to catch my eye on the Eight of Cups is the solar eclipse. It is not night at all, the moon moving across the sun, a moon phase, seeking inner awareness, putting self into action.
Another thread on the moon/sun :
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53468

In the front bottom of the card are three upright cups neatly stacked upon five upright cups. Times are not in upheaval but placid. The man is walking away from the cups, he walks through a swamp (emotional stagnation). Although things are not bad, there is no longer growth or love in the situation, it is time to move on. He sacrifices what good there is for spiritual growth, a higher truth.

Direct: Turning back on current situation, research, decline of interest, discontinued effort, cut your losses, need to release the things in your life that are not making you happy.

Reversed: Sticking it out, hanging onto a relationship that has ended, fear of intimacy, feeling trapped, empty, self sabotage, being restrained.

Tread on the eight of cups: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44893

rcb30872

Walking away from something no matter how physically, or otherwise, appealing it may seem.

Moving to a higher ground, like where you were is like it is something that was belittling you in a sense, moving away because it has outgrown you and perhaps even your purposes. Like where you are is stopping you from pursuing a different path, in a sense. Yes, stagnation.

Sort of like realising that you are staying with someone, even though they love you, they are not doing you any favours, and in some sense may be putting you down, or whatever makes you feel somewhat dependent on the other person because of various forms of abuse. Then realising that, getting a perspective on it, seeing that you are better than that, and then making steps to extricate yourself.