origin of the name tarot

gregory

Others have said it comes from taroccare - to beat - as in tooling the gold into the (Visconti) cards, as I said.

But that you have shown up here to perpetuate your theory does not surprise me. The historians here have made better argued cases.

ravenest

Tar = road ... well, people do refer to a road like that here ... " it is said that " ancient Egyptians came here and had dealings with the Aboriginals ... maybe thats how their word for road passed into Aussie slang ? })

Richard

And that you showed up right behind me, "to perpetuate you theory" doesn't surprise me.

I was stating what Manly Hall stated about the origins of the word Tarot - Royal Road - which makes sense just looking at the Moon Card which depicts that very Royal Road unless, of course, you have the wrong map, huh, genius.

If you don't have anything construction to add to the discussion of the thread why don't you troll somewhere else...
I don't see a path like that in the Moon cards of the Visconti Sforza, Noblet, or Conver Tarot, and there is only the faintest hint of a path in the Dodal. Nor is there one in the 1JJ. There is a path in the Waite Moon similar to that in Temperance, but the Temperance path apparently refers to the Middle Pillar of the Tree of Life, and it is not present in the historical decks.

A word to the wise: It is good policy not to be disrespectful when addressing fellow forum members. Also, if you seriously think that someone is trolling, there is a report button which should be used to alert a moderator. Trolling is a serious offense in the AT Forum, and it is in very bad taste to use the term merely to insult someone with whom you disagree.

Wendywu

Moderator Note

A couple of posts have been removed that were off-topic. Please try to stick to the subject under discussion (although sometimes the temptation to stray is great, I know).

Wendywu