Enochian in Tarot

Abrac

One thing about the Enochian Tarot and the companion book that confused me at first is it starts with the highest Aethyr first. Thus Card No. 1 is actually the highest Aethyr and Card No. 30 is the lowest. Once I realized this, I found it easier to start with Card No. 30 and work my way back.

I think one of the main reason Enochian can seem so complicated is because of its context. It's not something you can just sit down and learn with one book. There is a lot of other stuff that comes along with it that you may, or may not have, any interest in whatsoever, but it comes with the territory.

thorhammer

Abrac said:
One thing about the Enochian Tarot and the companion book that confused me at first is it starts with the highest Aethyr first. Thus Card No. 1 is actually the highest Aethyr and Card No. 30 is the lowest. Once I realized this, I found it easier to start with Card No. 30 and work my way back.
Good to know! Thanks, Abrac. I'd not got that far yet (too many tangents) but I'll keep it in mind.
Abrac said:
I think one of the main reason Enochian can seem so complicated is because of its context. It's not something you can just sit down and learn with one book. There is a lot of other stuff that comes along with it that you may, or may not have, any interest in whatsoever, but it comes with the territory.
Yeah, I figured. Maybe it's more than I am willing to chew, but I'm gonna try anyway :)

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
Because John Dee and Edward Kelly set down Enochian well before GD was up and running, and they (GD) developed their system from Enochian, and Thelema was a further development of that . . . yes?

Yeah, sort of. Enochian came first, from Dee and Kelly during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The Duquette book I linked to is the best place to start I think, as he talks you through the development of the systems that they received.

The the Golden Dawn developed their methods of using the Enochian material, both in Tarot, and evocation and chess as well :D

Then Crowley came along, and he used the GD method with some variations of his own. The Duquette book on Enochian goes thorugh all the later systems very briefly, and its a good companion book to what he says about the GD use of Enochian in their tarot, which is in the companion book for the Tarot of Ceremonial Magick.

I also found a biography on Dee quite useful, The Queen's Conjurer by Benjamin Wooley. Though the Duquette book has all the basics.

thorhammer

I ordered that book today - along with another called something like "Practical Enochian Magic" by some guy with three names.

I'm still riled after a conversation on the phone with my mother, so I'm not "all there" right now

I'm looking forward to getting those books, particularly the DuQette one, but for now I'll have to settle for the companion and what websites I can find.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Lovely :) Would love to hear how useful you find the second book you got.

I purchased a copy of the Golden Dawn Enochian Scrying Tarot from the trading forum here today, so am looking forward to seeing what that has to offer in way of further understanding how Enochian material can work in an oracle/tarot.

Also it may be of use, a little while back when working through the Duquette book, I used Publisher to make a set of Enochian tablets. Have since printed them and put into certificate frames to make a usable set. It's the same version of the tablets as in the Duquette book, the final version I believe (there were a couple of "editions" dictated by the Angels).

Anyways, I like color and find it helps to study something, so it might be useful for others. Though rather a fun job to make your own, and not so tricky as the painted versions, or the set Ravenest has posted about making.

Attachments

• Enochian Air Tablet.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Enochian Earth Tablet.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Enochian Fire Tablet.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Enochian Water Tablet.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Enochian Tablet of Union.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 142

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
I ordered that book today - along with another called something like "Practical Enochian Magic" by some guy with three names.
Jason Augustus Newcomb?

thorhammer

similia said:
Lovely :) Would love to hear how useful you find the second book you got.

I purchased a copy of the Golden Dawn Enochian Scrying Tarot from the trading forum here today, so am looking forward to seeing what that has to offer in way of further understanding how Enochian material can work in an oracle/tarot.

Also it may be of use, a little while back when working through the Duquette book, I used Publisher to make a set of Enochian tablets. Have since printed them and put into certificate frames to make a usable set. It's the same version of the tablets as in the Duquette book, the final version I believe (there were a couple of "editions" dictated by the Angels).

Anyways, I like color and find it helps to study something, so it might be useful for others. Though rather a fun job to make your own, and not so tricky as the painted versions, or the set Ravenest has posted about making.
I'm interested to see what the second book's like, too. I have a great deal of reading ahead of me, it seems :) Now I just have to find a nice air-conditioned place :D ahead of summer!

Also interested to see what the Skrying one is like - the artwork in mine grabbed me, which is what drew me to it. I'm sure I'll develop an interest in it one day :)

I've read about ravenest's tablets and I admire his dedication and tenacity. Thanks for posting the pics!

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
Jason Augustus Newcomb?
That's him!! :D At night my internet sloooowwwwssss rrrriiiigghhhtt down :D and so I get a bit vague. Is it a good one?

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
Is it a good one?
I don't know because I haven't read it. I do know that Newcomb's approach to Enochian is wrapped up in his "New Hermetics" method.

I own a couple of his earlier books but they didn't really appeal to me all that much. So I haven't been interested enough to bother with his recent Enochian books.

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
I don't know because I haven't read it. I do know that Newcomb's approach to Enochian is wrapped up in his "New Hermetics" method.

I own a couple of his earlier books by they didn't really appeal to me alll that much. So I haven't been interested enough to bother with the his recent Enochian books.
Fair enough. Nice to know to take it "in context", as it were. Thanks for that, Aeon :)

\m/ Kat