Mamluk Cards

ravenest

-The dragon head. A couple of people felt the dragon head was weak in comparison to the stark contrasts of the rest of the deck. I'm experimenting with some different versions to see if I can come up with something better.

:thumbsup:

trzes

Having had a chance to take a look, and knowing what to look for, I think ALL of the blue Arabic script boxes were added after the cards were created. Wow.

I am pretty sure these boxes have been added later. On some cards one can even see how the original painting is shining through. And the whole rest of the cards (without lower box) look quite imbalanced to me. So when I started making my own reproduction of the mamluk cards I decided to leave the lower boxes out entirely, although my idea was to stay very close to the original.

One addition to Ross G Caldwell's remarks on the colors: The polo sticks are, I think, actually red and blue. It seems that much of the red has faded away on the original cards, but here and there one can see remains of it. Those cards in the Carta Mundi edition that were recreated to make a full deck reflect this in having a lot more red in them than what can be seen in the originals.

I like your cards quite a lot. They really show the essence of the cards. If you should sell them to the public (colored or uncolored) I will be in for a copy.

My own project suffered a bit from the sheer overload of details in the original deck. But this thread hopefully gave me a push now to continue with mine :). I'll post about it in the Marseille-section soon.

MikeTheAltarboy

Wonderful!

earthair

Bumping to top...

Am I just completely blind or is there no link to the cards everyone is talking about?
Or did Abrac just happen to know where to look? :joke:

gregory

Abrac probably has a copy of variantventures' deck, as do I.

There are some scans of the actual cards on line, but not of VV's, as far as I know.

Here are a few with a review.
There are some shown on this page - scroll down.
Good stuff here.

That should do you !

Abrac

I wish. :laugh:

There used to be links to pictures in the first two posts. They've mysteriously vanished.

gregory

That IS odd, as it doesn't say edited...

earthair

Abrac probably has a copy of variantventures' deck, as do I.

There are some scans of the actual cards on line, but not of VV's, as far as I know.

Here are a few with a review.
There are some shown on this page - scroll down.
Good stuff here.

That should do you !

Thanks very much :)

I think I have a slight obsession ever since I saw them! :shhh:

Has anyone completed a whole usable deck?

How many cards did variantventures' deck have? Is it still possible to get one?

Abrac

If you click the Quote button of the first two posts you can still see where img code was embedded, but neither one works.

gregory

If you click the Quote button of the first two posts you can still see where img code was embedded, but neither one works.
?

I can't. How odd.

Oh wait - tried another browser. They are links to facebook. Which would explain it.