Advice on LBRP

foolMoon

Well, semantically. Everyone has their own view of it. Indeed, everyone should have their own definition, as a stepping stone for the "next" definition, ad infinitum. I've seen some people define their Will as their choice of profession. I can't really gainsay that, because I feel that whatever you think your Will is, it is still a step to working it.

That came out clumsily, I hope you understand. My ultimate point was to fool moon who seemed to be looking for a clear-cut definition, when does not and should not, whether in a book or online. Will is not like serving a god to placate them in order to gain favors. That was my point.

There are the definitions in books and also in online, I know, but I was also interested to hear what other people have to say about it.

foolMoon

:rolleyes: .... I meant what Crowley wrote about it.

Hmmm, that seems a modern problem, either one way or the other.

A bit like wiki, some believe everything written there, some poo poo anything referenced to it.

Ummm ... there are these things called references .... they can be easily looked up, especially using the internet. Also the internet publishes academic papers and peer reviewed journals, thesis, etc, as well as mindless youtubes.

Admittedly a book (published by a commercial company - not the author) is going to have to pass some process of validity ... it is usually to do with marketing.

But to give books validity over information that can be checked (if it shows) references and peer review on the internet ... ?

Erik VonDanniken has books published. And they are full of ..... ' crapa esteemo' .

Any way, look up what Crowley said and some good sources about the history of the idea - try Rabelais ... if your library has anything on him .... :) .

No, I don't have above books. Just reading up, Israel Regardie's "A Garden of Pomegranates", "Mystic Qabala" by Dion Fortune, and "Book of Thoth" by Crowley these days.

So what is your definition of Will?

Owl Tarot

I have not a particular definition of Will I personally consider as absolute and "true" since I think each one has to find that definition for him/herself, but some of my thoughts as of today about True Will, is that it can be considered as the life purpose, the essense of an individual. If we were talking in Christian terms, I would translate it as the Divine Plan of God for each and every one of us. In a more Thelemic context, one could call it the path of our innermost and Divine Self (who can also be consider as the Hadit-Kether each one of us contains within). Following this Will, the True Will, can be thought as an active process in our lives by which we each manifest, realize and accomplish the goal of our inner Divinity, our personal Hadit. As he says,

Liber AL said:
I am the Master: thou art the Holy Chosen One.

Thelema is the Greek word for Will. Crowley in Book 4 Part 3 Chapter VII analyzes the Greek letters of the word Thelema as a formula which might help you a bit more if you are familiar with the events presented here:

Book 4 said:
The formula of Thelema may be summarized thus: Theta "Babalon and the Beast conjoined" — epsilon unto Nuith (CCXX, I, 51) — lambda The Work accomplished in Justice — eta The Holy Graal — mu The Water therein — alpha The Babe in the Egg (Harpocrates on the Lotus.)

ravenest

No, I don't have above books. Just reading up, Israel Regardie's "A Garden of Pomegranates", "Mystic Qabala" by Dion Fortune, and "Book of Thoth" by Crowley these days.

So what is your definition of Will?

A word that expresses the future tense. A shortened term for William .

I am starting to think what has been written here hasn't 'gotten in ' .

foolMoon

If thou willt miss the point, then miss willt be the point.

To my understanding, Crowley's true will is simple and succinct.
"Love is the law, love under will." - Crowley

Will is love, and love is the law, hence True will is also the law.
So True Will is love and also the law.

But understandings evolves through time, and it might be different tomorrow, next week or next month. I have only started reading up about all this only about 3 weeks ago, so long way ahead of me. :)

Zephyros

I don't know of anyone who actually burned their copy of the Book of Law, but the importance of the Comment really can't be understated, in terms of finding one's own way. Nobody is being deliberately obtuse, but the fact is that one's definition isn't another's, and indeed is quite meaningless.

foolMoon

I am going with Crowley's definition for the time being, because he seems right, and I agree with his idea. This is a meaningful decision based on my True Will :)

Barleywine

I don't know of anyone who actually burned their copy of the Book of Law, but the importance of the Comment really can't be understated, in terms of finding one's own way. Nobody is being deliberately obtuse, but the fact is that one's definition isn't another's, and indeed is quite meaningless.

Which inevitably leads to the futility of trying to debate its meaning in a public forum, except perhaps as an intellectual exercise. Before coming to AT, I never discussed the Book of the Law with anyone. It didn't seem necessary somehow.

foolMoon

I think it is good to discuss about Book of the Law or any other Crowley's works in public forums, because many people around the world are interested in his philosophy and ideas.

Discussions help people come to better understanding about the subject.

And intellectual exercises mean discussing on these topics in clear and succinct manner, not putting veils around it.

Of course if one is not interested in discussing about the topic, then he does not have to read or respond to the posts.