Pagan Otherworlds...why a Swan on the 9 of swords?

Amsonia

This cars makes me think of the Children of Lir, the kids were bound to 3 lakes for 300 yrs each until st Patrick broke the spell. It's an Irish folk tale.
Check out the review of the deck on the queens sword, the artist answered this exact question. I can't put the link sorry.

You must be referring to this post:

http://www.thequeenssword.com/pagan-otherworlds-tarot-review/

And oh, it does have a beautiful explanation about the swan right there:

Thanks for bringing this interview up Beanfeasa and for giving the link EmpyreanKnight!

I'm thrilled to have all these new perspectives on this image...these cards are so great...minimalism on the pips but still deeply evocative!

Beanfeasa

No problem x

Amsonia

The swan in the card is chained around the neck, so it visualizes the feeling of confinement and impotence that is traditionally suggested by the Nine of Swords.
I can't believe I didn't see the chain around the neck, glad you pointed that out!

In this deck, the first keyword for this card is "Transformation" (with "Responsability" and "Haunted"), and it seems that the swan evokes the transformation process from the duckling to the swan.
this card refers to the 9 of Swords in the RWS, but stresses a more positive approach (?)

Nevertheless the chain (bonds) is a symbol we are used to see in relation to 8 of Swords instead of the 9.
As well I am wondering if the artists had in mind the Swan in Druid Animal Oracle there, because it is depicted like that in this oracle, with a golden chain around her/his neck.
https://fr.pinterest.com/pin/430234570626039906/

hmm, you are probably right, although it wasn't something that jumped out at me...these cards can be pretty subtle...

There are quite a few folk tales of girls turned into swans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsNJuhBfbPg&list=RDJsNJuhBfbPg#t=232
I've been reading some fairy tales lately when I use the exercise bike...I'll have to thumb through the book and look for swans!

The last paragraph that you quoted EmpyreanKnight (the one from the artist interview) corresponds to what is written in the book for this card. With the 3 keywords there aren't more explanation.
:thumbsup:

Swans can be extremely aggressive when approached. For me that card takes on a meaning of some kind of higher warning of danger, perhaps which is being manifested in a way which is less than obvious. Ignore the warning and approach the beautiful animal at your peril!

The querent may have to take time to look for less-than-obvious signs around them.
I think I need to pay more attention to swans and swan lore, and yes, the swans I've come across have had mean streaks, so unlike their tranquil beauty.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the myth of the Swan Song. According to legend, the swan, just before it dies, sings one final and beautiful song. I guess it's supposed to be an expression of its sadness. It's not actually true, though. Swans don't sing before they die. But it made for a nice legend.

So I guess swans got the reputation for enjoying expressing their unhappiness and sense of hopelessness. The 9 of Swords has a similar All Is Lost attitude. The card can come up for people who worry a lot. People who have a sense of hopelessness about their lives.

Just a thought.
I totally forgot about that legend!

Swans seem to have quite a bit of symbolism, so it seems that many interpretations can be applied...now instead of not having any idea, I have too many to choose from, ha ha! Although the transformation from the keywords and the hopelessness of the swan song do give me a good picture of ways to apply this card.

Thank you everyone for all your responses! It's been a great thread with great answers!

Farzon

I didn't buy the guidebook so I came up with my own thoughts... for me there's terror in the contrast of the swords and the beautiful form of the chained swan. It couldn't get away, if these swords would come down upon it. I see it as a potential predecessor to the classical Ten of Swords.

Amsonia

I didn't buy the guidebook so I came up with my own thoughts... for me there's terror in the contrast of the swords and the beautiful form of the chained swan. It couldn't get away, if these swords would come down upon it. I see it as a potential predecessor to the classical Ten of Swords.

I really like this interpretation!