High Priestess Vs The Empress - Sex Appeal?

GoddessArtemis

firemaiden said:
(p.s. A spindle is not an orb, it is a sticking up pricky thing)
Yes, this I know. :) But the light flickering over the top of the spindle needle in "Sleeping Beauty" has an orb hovering over it--which is what draws Princess Aurora to prick her finger on the spindle in the first place. The second picture (the attachment) in that earlier post about the Disney movie shows a better depiction of an orb.

GA

GoddessArtemis

Oh good! Now if we could only locate the Empress...I'll keep searching online...

Okay, you can see the entire Major arcana of a similar deck here:
http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/sheets/

I've also attached the HP (Popess) and Empress pix from the same below.

GA

Attachments

• Rosenwald Popess.jpg
    Rosenwald Popess.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 928
  • Rosenwald Empress.jpg
    Rosenwald Empress.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 907

Thirteen

Umbrae said:
But there is another aspect of femininity that's not being represented, and denial or obfuscation does not make it go away.
Which "darkside" would you like represented and why can't it belong as much to the Empress as the HPS?

Madame slut and Whore of Babylon? Empress
Cold ruthless bitch? HPS
Manipulating Mama? Empress
Kali, bloody Goddess of death and destruction? HPS

How many more other dark aspects of femininity would you like me to go through? I'm not in denial nor obfuscating any of them. Fire away. I'll happy tell you, IMHO, which belongs to which.

firemaiden

GoddessArtemis said:
Okay, you can see the entire Major arcana of the Rosenwald Sheet here: http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/sheets/

I've also attached the HP (Popess) and Empress pix from the same below.

GA

No, no, no! those are not from the Rosenwald sheets, please change this misidentification before someone learns something wrong.

See my thread called Uncut Sheets of Cards - links and resources if I am not mistaken, those are from what are sometimes known as the "Dick Sheets".

The Rosenwald Sheet has not been posted for copywrite reasons (I guess).

BLFO

Would you say that Empress= Madonna and High Priestess= Sophia Loren?

Umbrae

Thirteen said:
Which "darkside" would you like represented and why can't it belong as much to the Empress as the HPS?

Madame slut and Whore of Babylon? Empress
Cold ruthless bitch? HPS
Manipulating Mama? Empress
Kali, bloody Goddess of death and destruction? HPS

How many more other dark aspects of femininity would you like me to go through? I'm not in denial nor obfuscating any of them. Fire away. I'll happy tell you, IMHO, which belongs to which.
My deepest apologies – I was not referring to misogynistic qualities.

Very sorry to have posted – don't like the turn of voice.

Didn't realize there was one and only one view.

I don't think you need to tell me anything else.

Thirteen

Umbrae said:
My deepest apologies – I was not referring to misogynistic qualities.

Very sorry to have posted – don't like the turn of voice.

Didn't realize there was one and only one view.
My apologies. Your post seemed to imply that there was a "darkside" of feminity that YOU were looking at and seeing while the rest of were turning a blind eye to it. I didn't think it really fair to imply that we were being pollyannish or ignorant of this darkside.

I happen to think that the HPS and the Empress can be distingushed in their sexuality. In this distinguishing of the two, I happen to disagree that the temple protitute or holy prostitute role goes to the HPS. It seems much more in keeping with the Empress' role of nuturer and earth goddess.

If that is what you meant by "darkside," and it's application was to the HPS, then we are in disagreement.

As for the terms I used, I wasn't going masogynistic save for the fact that it's hard to avoid such given the patriarchal bias of the English language and Western society. We don't have many nice terms for "protitute" or "madam," likewise goddess of death or temptress. Men can be devilish without being evil--even that word allows them to be charming. Women, however, can't be seducers without being seen as deadly, as in terms like sirens, whore of Babylon, succubi, etc.

I apologize again if you misunderstood: I didn't think YOU were being misogynistic, and I wasn't trying to be either. Any implied misogyny is in the language.

I understand "darksides" full well and have great respect for them both in the cards, in symbolism, and in world mythology. I tried to cover all the bases because I wanted to prove that I, at least, was not in denial or being willfully ignorant of that darkside whatever your definition of it might be.

BLFO

I think it is valid though. I would like to know which card refers to a whore. I mean, I interprete the Knight of Cups as a he-whore. A man looking for a one night stand. There has to be a female equivalent.

obsidian_queen

Though this detracts from things a little...

BLFO said:
I think it is valid though. I would like to know which card refers to a whore. I mean, I interprete the Knight of Cups as a he-whore. A man looking for a one night stand. There has to be a female equivalent.

Any one of the Queens reversed would be my guess, along with the right cards - lots of pentacles and wands to denote physical activity etc.... Just their motives and what may trigger their behaviour will likely differ because of their suit quality.etc.... And somehow though, the actual term "whore" is making me cringe. A lil harsh maybe?. I doubt people are born promiscuous..IMO I feel like this stems from SOMETHING - whether it's an experience or whether it's lack of self esteem...you get me? Looking at something that way I think might affect your ability to objectively view a querent or the people you're reading about, since it's a little judgemental. Then all of a sudden YOUR views are in the reading - and unless it's about you, you're the messenger. That's my view.