books and decks

mac22

Scion said:
Aeon, do you mean Magical Tarot of the Golden Dawn?

I have it sitting on my to-be-read pile, though I've dipped into it with a few specific questions... It's HUGE. It seems meaty, and a lot of time is spent (and rightfully so) connecting every card individually to the GD order progression. No card hgets short shirft, and I have yet tro read a section without discovering a little fresh tidbit.

As for the purchase question, it's only $29 here, so for you it should be about 15 quid. If that's not that case, maybe I can order it and ship it to you. I think you'll get more out of it than most folks. It's a great chunky read. :thumbsup:

Meaty & chunky, eh?:laugh: I just bought the book. I noticed that the UPS guy listed to the right coming up the walk with the box..:D

It does look interesting.... from a quick perusal.

Mac22

Abrac

I was reading a review of the book, What You Should Know About the Golden Dawn at Amazon, and the reviewer wrote:

"This is a great book, except for the nonsense and recruitment stuff found at the end. At a certain point, Regardie's writing ends and there are several essays written by people defending their organization (though it does not seem very easy to defend after reading what really happened to the Order of the Golden Dawn). If you are wondering why the same book written by Regardie from '82 or '72 is completely different from the edited and annotated version from '94 or 2004; then this book should explain what happened. After his death in '84 certain publishers began to butcher this great man's work. "The Tree of Life" from after the year 2000, for example is filled with illustrations not even found in the original, weird illustrations (earlier editions after '84 are liable to have similar corruptions, unless of course you try to get a solid Weiser edition)."

I can't tell if they are talking about the book being reviewed or Regardie's 4-volume The Golden Dawn. I have seen an earlier version of The Golden Dawn (hardback 4 volumes in 2 books, 3rd edition, 1970) and I now have a paperback version that is a 6th edition 1989, 8th printing 1998 and I can't tell any difference. They are organized a bit differently and the paperback has an index, but the Tree of Life is the same and there are no 'weird illustrations' that aren't in the earlier one. Does anyone have a clue what this reviewer is talking about?

Abrac

Oh wait...I get part of it now. "The Tree of Life" referred to is the book by that name, but the first part still seems confusing.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
Oh wait...I get part of it now. "The Tree of Life" referred to is the book by that name, but the first part still seems confusing.
Hi Abrac,

I think, What you should know about the Golden Dawn, is an expanded version of a book Regardie wrote in 1936 called, My Rosicrucian Adventure. Basically the only difference is the inclusion of a few essays by a couple of other Golden Dawn authors.

Abrac

Ahh...yes, I did some investigating and you're right Aeon. I didn't realize it was that old, now it makes sense. :)

Aeon418

At a certain point, Regardie's writing ends and there are several essays written by people defending their organization (though it does not seem very easy to defend after reading what really happened to the Order of the Golden Dawn).
That part of the review made me laugh. Did the guy actually read the book or what? Yes, Regardie is very harsh and pulls no punches in his appraisal of the Golden Dawn and the personalities involved in it. But his occasionally harsh tone came from his deep respect for the teachings and the way in which they were sold down the river, so to speak.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from this book, Abrac. But it's basically a general overview of the the Golden Dawn system of initiation and an examination of it's history and some of the major players. It's a good read, but if you are looking for specific details you're probably going to be disappointed.

Abrac

I've been thinking about getting it but I don't think I will right away. It's on the back burner and if a copy shows up cheap I might snag it. Thanks for the input.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Another recommendation is the Cicero's companion book to their Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot. It's much more informative than the little booklet you get with the cards. Actually I much prefer their deck to Wang's amateurish bodge job. :rolleyes:

Thanks for this recommendation and the link Aeon. I got this book in a trade and am just finishing reading it. I've found it great, especially love the color stuff as I'm currently thinking about that.

Like the Tarot Talisman book its pitched at newbies, though with some offhand references to advance ideas, which give me the irrits until I can work out where to go to find out what they are talking about :D But generally it was a really useful read. Quite practical I think.

Left me with a few new questions though, that will appear in a thread soon ;)

Aeon418

similia said:
Thanks for this recommendation and the link Aeon.
Glad you liked it. :)

At the moment I've got my head burried in Astrology, Aleister, & Aeon by Charles Kipp. I can't believe I've had this masterpiece on my bookshelf for over two years and have only just got round to reading it! Kipp's insights into the development of astrology, Crowley's birthchart, and the relevance of the New Aeon are quite literally phenomenal. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand the underlying essence and driving force behind the Thoth Tarot.

http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Ale...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211444620&sr=1-1
The two customer reviews are spot on in my opinion.