A plea for sanity: beginners, DON'T use the Celtic Cross!

Thirteen

A plea for sanity: beginners, DON&#39 use the Celtic Cross!

Just FYI, I've set up three threads to examing the CC more closely in the Study Group section. So if you'd like to talk meaning, how to do it, what works, doesn't work, how you think some term "like 'this is above you!'" was originally intended or should be read, how to view the spread overall.

Those of you who like this spread, here's your chance to explain it--and maybe change the minds of those of us who just don't get it :)

Talisman

Thirteen,

I owe you an apology. In another thread, I jumped all over your Celtic Cross. Sorry.

Talisman

Thirteen

A plea for sanity: beginners, DON&#39 use the Celtic Cross!

Hey Talisman, no prob.

fairyhedgehog

Hi Thirteen,

I'm a beginner who 'just took' to the Celtic Cross but what you have written is still very relevant. I think I like it because there are plenty of cards to make up the story with although I am still learning to make connections between different parts of the spread. What it /doesn't/ help with is learning in-depth meanings for each card.

I'm currently raiding bec's website http://tarot.lillehjem.dk/startmenu.htm for ideas on other spreads - she has an excellent collection. And I'm just learning the usefulness of the 3 card spread.

But I shall also come and read the Celtic Cross threads in the Study Group section :)

All the best,

FH

catlin

Hi thirteen,

Ehmm, I have to admit that - when I started tarot at the tender age of 14 - I only knew the CC and I think of myself that I still have my wits together :p but I agree with you that it may be too much for a newbie.

I usually recommend to my tarot newbies 3 - 7 card spreads but only when they have acquired a basic knowledge of the cards.

Bings

Thirteen, Thank you so much for this topic. I'm just a beginner. I have experimented with a few spreads but felt that I should focus on the CC because it seemed to be *THE* spread to learn. It's nice to know that it is OK for me to stick to what is simpler until I become more familiar with tarot.

Dianne

silvereye

I think beginners should start by doing 3 card spreads like Past, Present Future.
A lot of information is provided in Mary K Greer's Tarot for YOurself, very informative and innovative. I hope all beginners would read that book.

wigwag

Fine I take the point about different spreads for beginners (which I am) other than the CC (which I like. sorry)

I think the best way for a beginner to learn is to pick just ONE card in response to a question or to represent the week or day ahead then for them to note down the relevance of the card later. That way they can associate the meanings with actual happenings.

There is no easier spread than that.

isthmus nekoi

I also think that the type of deck you use can influence what sort of spread would be appropriate. ie. I've found RW to be much more direct and to the point than Vertigo, so I've found RW works better in a 3 card spread, Vertigo in a c/c.

I started out w/ c/c b/c the 1st time someone read for me, he used a c/c, and there was something about that circle and staff layout that made sense. If he had just laid out 10 cards in a row w/the same meanings, I don't think I would have bothered with it... But yes, I can see how c/c can be confusing to the beginner.

kayne

This is my variation on the Celtic Cross which I use for general spreads (ie. no set question) all the time and I love it:

http://www.geocities.com/kaynes_celtic_tarot/spread.htm

I always make sure I relate the cards back to the theme of the reading (position 1.) Position 3 refers to how you feel on the inside about the theme and position 5 refers to how people see you in relation to it. I always find this spread works really well with my Cosmic Tribe deck...

My suggestion for everyone - new to tarot or not - is to adapt a spread to suit you... Make sure it is clear in you head before doing a reading and then go for it!
:cool: K