Book of Thoth Study Group: The Magus

Zephyros

1. 1. The Magician or Juggler Mercury. Beth
He is Mercury, the messenger of God, and juggles with ther four symbols of the elements, and the papyrus or Word, the pen or Will, the wand or Wisdom.
He represents the creative force in action.
As Thoth in Egyptian tradition, his attendant and shadow is the Cynocephalus Ape.
Lady Frieda Harris, 1942

Sorry for the delay, my computer was on sick-leave.
So here we have the Magus. I gathered that Harris talks about the Magus that was originally included in the deck, evn though it can relate to all three, since the key symbolism is there in all of them.

Cynocephalus, the dog-headed Ape: was the Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol of writing, and was closely associated with Thoth. Mercury rules the astrological Third House of writing and communication. Cynocephalus is symbolic of the moon and Thoth of the planet Mercury. Because of the ancient belief that the moon followed Mercury about the heavens, the dog-ape was described as the faithful companion of Thoth.

Mercury: Mercury is god of trade and profit, merchants and travelers, but originally of the trade in corn. In later times he was equated with the Greek Hermes. He had a temple in Rome near the Circus Maximus on the Aventine Hill which dates back to 495 BCE. This temple was connected to some kind of trade fair. His main festival, the Mercuralia, was celebrated on May 15 and on this day the merchants sprinkled their heads and their merchandise with water from his well near the Porta Capena.

During the time of the Roman Empire the cult of Mercury was widely spread, especially among the Celtic and Germanic peoples. The Celts have their Gaulish Mercury, and the Germans identified him with their Wodan.

The attributes of Mercury are the caduceus (a staff with two intertwined snakes) and a purse (a symbol of his connection with commerce). He is portrayed similarly to Hermes: dressed in a wide cloak, wearing talaria (winged sandals) and petasus (winged hat).

Mercury is also known as Alipes ("with the winged feet").

Zephyros

There have been many views about the Fool's Journey. I for one feel that the magus is the natural continuation to the Fool. Something like waking up (the fool) and then making coffee (the magus). The beginning of action, of creation. While the desire to learn is with the Fool, the Magus does something about it. To my mind, one of the most "active" cards.

This card relates to Mercury, messanger of the Gods, and communication is an important part of it. Comminication of wisdom.

TheoMo

Hey I'm currently on vacation so I'm going to have to flake this week on the study group -- when I get back next Wednesday I'll try and post something about the Magus and the Empress after "studying" them, ha ha.

CreativeFire

closrapexa said:
The attributes of Mercury are the caduceus (a staff with two intertwined snakes) and a purse (a symbol of his connection with commerce). He is portrayed similarly to Hermes: dressed in a wide cloak, wearing talaria (winged sandals) and petasus (winged hat).

Mercury is also known as Alipes ("with the winged feet").

Thanks closrapexa, this certainly explains the stylised "winged feet" design on the Magus - didn't quite realise what this was until you posted about Mercury!

Like other Magician cards in most decks, I can see he has the Pentacles (disks), Wands, Cups and Swords at this disposal. They almost look like he is levitating them around him and this indicates that he has the ability to utilise the power of the elements - fire, water, air and earth.

The geometric design in the Thoth cards also interest me and was reading an interesting thread about Lady Harris study in this area and her incorporation of it into the artwork of the cards.

CreativeFire

Diwha

Black and white, hot and cold, good and bad...

We must not forget, like in life, there are two sides to everything

DIGNIFIED: Initiative, focus; willing to take risks. Ability to understand and utilize personal potential. Good organizational and communication skills. Has the ability to make dreams come true. Success. A new love, new partnerships, new relationships; or an old one rejuvenated. Desire to do something "new"; goal-orientated, greatly motivated.

ILL-DIGNIFIED: Shyness, hesitation, indecision. Poor self-image; lack of self-confidence; overabundance of self-criticism. Difficulty with self-expression; inability to use talents or skills. Can also signify trickery.

NOTE: Reversed, this card can also represent someone with learning disorders, or one who lacks physical coordination. Can also represent some other disability in relation to communication, either verbal or physical.

Diwha

The Fool meets the Magus

Skillful, self-confident, a powerful magus with the infinite as a halo floating above his head, the Magician mesmerizes the Fool. When asked, the Fool gives over his bundled pack and stick to the Magician. Raising his wand to heaven, pointing his finger to Earth, the Magician calls on all powers; magically, the cloth of the pack unfolds upon the table, revealing its contents. And to the Fool's eyes it is as if the Magician has created the future with a word. There are all the possibilities laid out, all the directions he can take. The cool, airy Sword of intellect and communication, the fiery Wand of spirituality and ambition, the overflowing Chalice of Love and emotions, the solid Pentacle of work, possessions and body. With these tools, the Fool can create anything, make anything of his life. But here's the question, did the Magician create the tools, or were they already in the pack? Only the Magician knows - and on this mystery, our eloquent mage refuses to say a word.

I wonder
Diwha

linabeet

I like what you said creativefire about the tools seemingly levitating by him. That makes it a real connection for me, his ability to use those tools. He looks so confident and skilled.

Diwha, are those definitions yours of from a book? just curious.

Angeles Arrien says in the tarot handbook -

...the golden monkey represents the Egyptian God of Wisdom, Thoth who transforms himself into a golden monkey to demonstrate that in communication we must be flexible and aware of all communication lines that we have excecuted personally and professionally (the communication line in the background).
------------------

There seems to be a lot of connection to communication as a tool and effect of the Magus' work. I never saw that before, I had only seen him as an illusions builder or maker. Communication would be a concrete affect of that, in following through.

CreativeFire

linabeet said:
Angeles Arrien says in the tarot handbook -

...the golden monkey represents the Egyptian God of Wisdom, Thoth who transforms himself into a golden monkey to demonstrate that in communication we must be flexible and aware of all communication lines that we have excecuted personally and professionally (the communication line in the background).
------------------

Your posting of the info about the golden monkey representing Thoth is interesting and timely, linabeet, as I was only reading last night in "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology" by Cotterell & Storm about Thoth being usually depicted by an Ibis or a Baboon:

Thoth, the Egyption Moon God, presided over scribes and knowledge, and was "Lord of the Sacred Words". . . Because he was associated with secret knowledge, Thoth was able to help at the burial of Osiris. Eventually, Thoth succeeded Horus to the throne of Egypt and reigned peacefully over the land for more than 3,000 years. Afterwards, he took his place in the sky as the moon. Thoth was usually depicted as an ibis or as a baboon. It was said that Thoth wrote a book of magic, known as The Book of Thoth, which lies buried in a tomb near Memphis. The spells within the book were said to give the user power over the gods.

In the book there is actually a picture of a statue of Thoth as a baboon (wearing a moon crown) with a scribe seated at this feet.

CreativeFire

RedMaple

Hermes was also the patron god of thieves, and looks to me like a bit of a con-man. I'm not sure at all that I trust his smile.

I actually don't see this as a card of wisdom. It seems too early in the Fool's journey for that. Rather, I see the intoxicating power of being able to manifest things in the world. Language, communication, is like magic. As a young child, we learn to ask for things, we name them, and people respond. It is magical, and powerful. But not necessarily wise.