The Sun XIX

mooiedragon

I pulled this as my daily card today, which is kind of funny because it's absolutely pouring outside, and even though in the BoT Crowley says this is supposed to be one of the easiest to understand..... I don't know if I get it. Maybe I'm just trying to complicate things, but I'd love to hear what others think.

On one level I've always interpreted The Sun as a card of discovery, clarity and understanding. Things start to make sense under it's influence. Where the Moon and Star help you understand the subconscious and spiritual realm, the sun seems to relate to more conscious and earthly things. It's like the card of proof almost.

I'm still not really understanding the red and wall surrounding the earthly breast. (green hill). Or the butterfly children. Or the green disks at their feet.

Anyone got any ideas?

ravenest

When it stops raining, go and dance in the sunshine in your garden with the butterflies (and children if you have any).

Abrac

If I am understanding Crowley correctly, this card more than anything else represents the "New Aeon," and "the next stage which is to be attained by mankind."

Of the disks he says, "At their feet are the most sacred signs of the old Aeon." When you look at them under magnification, what you see are two figures affixed to crosses. They have been reborn spiritually.

"But around the top of the mound is a wall, which indicates the aspiration of the new Aeon does not mean the absence of control." (Love is the Law, Love under Will)

"With regard to the wall, it should be noted that it completely encircles the top of the mound; this is to emphasize that the formula of the Rose and Cross is still valid in terrestrial matters. But there is now, as was not previously the case, a close and definite alliance with the celestial."

He mentions the wall as having something to do with the 'formula of the Rose and Cross' and as 'still valid in terrestrial matters.' I'm not exactly sure what he means, I would have to do more research. It may be a magickal working.

Crowley seems to be saying that while the new Aeon will bring a radical shift in consciousness which will lift humanity onto an entirely different plane (one that is more 'celestial' in nature), we will still exist in the terrestrial world, but to a lesser degree than in the old Aeon. Many of the old forms will still be valid, but will not play as important a role.

rogue

generally the sun card means "have a good day"

ravenest

Ah yes, Abrac ... it's sort of like the world after the new Aeon settles in.

So then it would be the equivlent to the cover of a Jehova's Witness magazine; Different coloured people collect abundent harvest while kiddies pat tiger/kitties while deer sleep next to them.

AbstractConcept

Everything is all beautiful and the sun is shining and people are taking a nice walk in the park....

Rosanne

Without the Sun, there is no you and I. The earth is at the right distance from the Sun to become a creative place to live (and dance with butterflies :) )
Here and only here it seems, can we transform our lives and become awake to all possibilities, and fulfill ours dreams. We are part of light, that is symbolised by the Sun. If you were on another constellations planet, our Sun would look like a Star- so the Sun is hopeful too. ~Rosanne

rachelcat

IDS from me!

Sun

Center of sun is a big flower. Lots of rays come out from it. 12 long rays divide the edges into the zodiac and ghostly translucent sign symbols are between them around the edge. Two children with butterfly wings dance with their arms raised to the sun. Behind them is a green hill with the top ringed by a red wall. At their feet are two old coins with maltese crosses on them (or maybe they’re stylized people). Oops, Crowley says they are rose-crosses. I guess they are old coins to show the rosy cross is ancient but still part of the new aeon. Oh, yikes, now Snuffin says they ARE people, actually Christ crucified. Symbols of the old sun god of the old aeon.

Crowley says the Sun is the lord of light, life, liberty, and love. And that the children are people of the new aeon. And mentions that the zodiac is the girdle of Nuit, goddess of the sky.

The hill is earth reaching toward heaven, but the wall shows that the rosy cross is still in effect in earthly things, meaning just because it’s a new aeon, it doesn’t mean the laws of cause and effect aren’t in force anymore. Self-restraint is still necessary. The cross of the four elements and earthly limitation is still here, and, just as always, the rose of heaven is still right inside it. Only, as Snuffin points out, the cross has been transformed into 12 rays. The old foursquare four element earth has been replaced with heaven and earth, symbolized by the 12 armed “cross.”

For many years, I have associated the Sun with Apollo, the god of reason, insight, order, intelligence, light, creativity, and harmonious beauty. Back when I did a pathworking thing, I spoke to the children, and they said they were celebrating and dancing for Apollo, their father the sun. Apollo/Sun can also represent morality. I think it’s the Bible that says evildoers like the dark because no one can see what they’re doing wrong.

I’ve never really been able to get a grip on the wall symbolism, but I guess it’s just that—morality, order, and harmony require restraint. The freedom of knowing you are right. I read in a Buddhist book about how the vows that a monk makes actually frees him. Yes, he can’t/shouldn’t do ANYTHING he can imagine, but within the framework of the vows, he is free to be himself and free from worry about doing the right thing. I guess that would be clarity of insight of the sun, too.

In a reading: Freedom (within self-imposed restraints), insight and clarity, happiness and beauty that stem from that freedom and insight. Openness, nothing is hidden.