Early divination techniques?

Zephyros

While Tarot was originally a game, I'm interested in when and how they began to be "read," and whether there are any contemporary sources for reading the cards. I'm thinking of the "folk" approach, nothing like Etteilla, but rather earlier and simpler.

Does anything like that exist?

blueeyetea

Are you referring to cards specifically? When the tarot was invented, only very rich people could afford a deck.

Barleywine

In The Encyclopdia of Tarot, Volume 1, Stuart Kaplan writes that Galcottus Martius was "perhaps the earliest writer who speculated on the allegorical meanings of the four suits." (De Doctrina Promiscua, 1488-1490) That suggest they were in use for divination or fortune-telling before that time. I'm sure the more modern investigators have touched on the subject (Huson, Place, Dummett, et al), but I haven't read them yet. I couldn't find anything concrete in Richard Cavendish's earlier history (The Tarot, 1975).

Zephyros

It is exactly those very early fortune-telling techniques I'm interested in. How were the meanings of the cards formulated, since we're talking pips? Something like Le Monde Primitif is too highbrow for my purposes, I'm thinking more along the lines of the contemporary equivalent of "Tarot for Dummies."

I'm asking because during a thread in TT, I realized I know extremely little about the early divinatory roots of Tarot, if indeed it had any, and the tradition was not "invented" by later writers. I like to say that the GD revamped Tarot, but revamped it from what? What was it before? How did people read from the earliest times they read at all up to the late 19th century? Did they have set meanings?

Were they encouraged to use intuition? As blueeyetea said, cards were very expensive. If only rich people had them, did they read fortunes and if so, how?

kalliope

I'll have to look in my copy of Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot to see what he has to say. But I imagine that as soon as playing cards of any sort were popular for gambling (both before and after the addition of the trumps), people were using them for divination. Probably just based on folk associations of the suits and images in their particular decks, lucky & unlucky numbers, etc, even if it wasn't formalized or written about as a method.

Barleywine

I'll have to look in my copy of Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot to see what he has to say. But I imagine that as soon as playing cards of any sort were popular for gambling (both before and after the addition of the trumps), people were using them for divination. Probably just based on folk associations of the suits and images in their particular decks, lucky & unlucky numbers, etc, even if it wasn't formalized or written about as a method.

I also learned something from Richard Cavendish that I didn't know (or maybe didn't remember): tarot cards or similar variations were used for educational purposes in addition to game-playing. The Trumps especially.

kalliope

Yes, there are references to the trumps being used as moral education, since early versions included ranks from beggars to kings to the pope, lists of virtues, scholastic subjects, or the cosmic spheres.

As for early divination with cards, this may be WAY more than anyone asked for (and it doesn't include how-to about techniques), but I thought it was interesting stuff. I tried to snip where I could.

Edited to directly quote a bit less. From Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot, pgs 46-52:

A 14th century (fictional) poem includes a character who lays out cards to find the enemies of Charlemagne.

A German oracle book to accompany a deck of cards was written in the 1480s. These books were popular with educated 15th century Germans. "Lot-books" such as these in the 15th and 16th century, both German and Italian, often included illustrations of Fortune's Wheel. Cards or dice would tell you which royal character you'd drawn, and answers would be in the passage associated with each.

An Italian poet created a special tarot deck in 1475 with his own suits and trumps and had verses to go with each. "These verses essentially assigned meanings to each card -- a significant leap toward using the cards as oracles, but we don't find our first definite mention of anyone using standard Italian tarocchi trumps by themselves for anything like sortilege until 1527." That's when yet another poet wrote a set of sonnets based on the 22 trumps that would "describe the character of the person to whom they'd been dealt."

Mystical Origins said:
"The meanings assigned to the cards are all fairly obvious, face-value ones: Justice means justice, and the Lovers, or Love, as the card was called then, means love, and so on. The Tower is referred to as**Foco**(fire), and Judgment is called the Angel, both recognized name variants of the time. However, the important fact for us is that the cards are referred to as**sortes*, "destinies" or otherwise "lots," and used to form character sketches.

Folengo's use of the cards to devise sonnets began something of a craze among sixteenth-century Italian aristocracy for a game the came to be known as Tarocchi appriopriati (Appropriated Tarots). Here trump cards were selected by one player and presented to another, who would interpret them thematically by a process of idea association to create verses about himself or herself, about another person, or most popularly, to praise certain well-known ladies around the court."

The suit cards enter the picture in 1540, when a book published in Venice described how to use the Coin suit to draw cards and answer a set of fifty question with the oracular verses they signified.

Mystical Origins said:
By the mid-eighteenth century, the famous rake Giacomo Casanova was reporting in his diary of 1765 that his Russian peasant mistress resorted to reading playing cards every day, but we don't know whether or not these cards were tarots. Fairly conclusive, however, to the question of whether or not tarocchi had a tradition of divinatory usage prior to the late eighteenth century is the 1989 discovery of a manuscript in the library of the University of Bologna. Announced by Franco Pratesi, an expert on the early Florentine cards and tarocchi, and subsequently dated to some time prior to 1750, the manuscript gives a list of cartomantic interpretations for thirty-five Bolognese tarocchi cards along with a rudimentary method of laying them out.

And that brings us to Etteilla, who says he learned of telling fortunes w/ French suited cards in the 1750s, but thought the methods nothing better than the type of sortilege based upon books, so he devised his own methods...

ETA: So really, the whole "looking up the meanings in the book" arguments just point to the origins cartomancy has with sortilege and bibliomancy. :D

And edited again to add: Playing cards were well enough known by the 1370s that there were bans against them due to gambling. (pg 1) I'd wager that in private homes and gambling houses, divination of some basic sort was going on even then. ;)

kalliope

Okay, looking at this now it seems like too much to quote, right? Maybe I'll go back and summarize it instead.

Barleywine

It is exactly those very early fortune-telling techniques I'm interested in. How were the meanings of the cards formulated, since we're talking pips? Something like Le Monde Primitif is too highbrow for my purposes, I'm thinking more along the lines of the contemporary equivalent of "Tarot for Dummies."

I'm asking because during a thread in TT, I realized I know extremely little about the early divinatory roots of Tarot, if indeed it had any, and the tradition was not "invented" by later writers. I like to say that the GD revamped Tarot, but revamped it from what? What was it before? How did people read from the earliest times they read at all up to the late 19th century? Did they have set meanings?

Were they encouraged to use intuition? As blueeyetea said, cards were very expensive. If only rich people had them, did they read fortunes and if so, how?

Here's the rest of the quote regarding Martius:

"Martius observes that the inventor of the game of cards must have been a man of shrewd wit when one considers the significance of swords, spears, cups and country loaves. When there is need of strength, as indicated by swords and spears, Martius suggests that many are better than just a few; in matters of meat and drink, however, as indicated by the loaves and cups, a little is better than a great or excessive amount, for it is certain that abstemious persons are of a more lively wit than gluttons or drunkards."

This seems to be moving in the right direction.

coredil

As we know Etteilla wrote on cartomancy years before he discovered Tarot.

One of his early book: "Etteilla ou la seule manière de tirer les cartes"
(free available on books.google: https://books.google.de/books?id=CI... la seule maniere de tirer les cartes&f=false)
and printed in 1783 is an interesting insight on pre-Tarot cartomancy.

Though Etteilla style is always a little bit heavy and confusing, the way the cards meanings are formulated in his book are quite simple and read also very much to me like in a "Cartomancy for Dummies" book.
I would say this particular early book of Etteilla is probably a good result or mirror or synthesis of what folk cartomancy looked like at this time even if he added his own flavour to the whole.

BTW cards meanings founded there made their way through Etteillas later works as well as through Arthur Waites works and they are often to find in one way or another in countless modern Tarot decks meanings.