What Earth sign is the most militaristic? Is it Capricorn?

Darth MI

Earth signs are generally not associated with militarism and are arguably considered the element least likely to associate with war along with the air signs.

However from "A Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Gray

Eden Grey said:
Capricorn is an earth sign patterned after the horns of a goat. It is the symbol of a ruler, a militarist, a manager—all of them practical and able to function in the material world. Capricorn, the most earthy of the earth triplicity, indicates a person who can be voluntarily enslaved not only by material pleasures and sex but also by [physical] science and scientific methods. In Key 15, the Devil wears the goat horns and has been put up on a pedestal by the men and women who through ignorance and greed, have made themselves the slaves of that which was supposed to serve them.

Considering Capricorn is the sign that symbolizes empires, discipline,conservatism, and patriarchy I already knew long before I got into tarot and read that tarot book that Capricorn is a militaristic sign, easily the most of the Earth sign, In fact a perfect fictional example portraying Capricorn militarism are the heroes of two of Mel Gibson's epics, Bravehart and The Patriot.

His characters in both films that weren't enthusiastic about the military and wanted to be left alone in peace with their families.. but when tragedy arises out of the abuses of the invading armies, both of Gibson's character quickly armed themselves and took the path of militarism, leading raids against the invaders.

But even by this point his characters doesn't want to invade other countries and expand an empire, he only fights to protect his homeland. In the cases he invades foreign lands, its out of necessity to hold a key position to prevent another invasion of his home country.

Basically Capricorn is the "peace through strength" type of militarist. Keep a strong military but only to defend one's country unlike Scorpio (who worships military as everything) and Aries (who joys in war as a game).

Am I correct about my statement about Capricorn as the Earth sign of militarism? Is my description of the militaristic nature of Capricorn correct?

MaineGirl117

Yes I would say that is a good summation of the positive aspects of a Capricorn.

However, I work with a Capricorn who likes to go on power trips and use her authority in a militant and vindictive manner.

The parable of the fallen angel could well be her story too: Elevated to a position of power, abuse of power, fall from grace.

paradoxx

Capricorn is the most governmental oriented sign of this element (although a mars placment could discharge an aggressive implementation of a persons need to activate a military post attached to a geological survey), virgo is the most tactical and detail oriented regarding interpersonal skill sets attached to intelligence (mars here might bring out a different side of how to interact with the GEMINI settings like an operating system as opposed ot virgos physical componant objective). Taurus is focused on a widesperad countryside, where farmers rule their homes (Mars here denotes that the mass food supply from the farmland would generate a specific military code and interaction with animal wellbeing, crop anomolies, and chemical output.)

celticnoodle

I always see the Aries people as most military like. Also ruled by Mars, and another goat like (okay Ram) animal. Pretty much every Aries I know is very disciplined and headstrong. They also seem to possess a lot of courage and always, (just like their placement in the zodiac signs), want to be first! They are generally good leaders but they also WANT to be a leader rather then a follower. I can really see this sign as the most militaristic. But, then, I don't know a lot of Capricorns.

Ronia

A Capricorn enslaved by sex and pleasures???? The Capricorn ruled by Saturn??? I would have never guessed but what is more important, the author of this amusing guide seems to have an interesting approach towards signs and rulers. Because rulers matter MUCH. Which is why the Taurus ruled by Venus should have been in this sentence. Capricorn is a sign of discipline, stoicism, power and the desire for it, ruling desire and ambition and patience = Saturn.

If Capricorn sees his goals attainable by war, he may turn into a great general who will patiently and with greatest care research, plan and execute each step of his army. But this would very much depend on the goal and if this is indeed the way to achieve it and what rules this Capricorn's houses of action and where this ruler is!

All these discussions based on just Sun signs are funny. Since we are on an astrological forum, we should know better than that. Militaristic? Look at the chart. Look at the houses responsible for it, for their rulers and aspects. All this "Capricorn this", "Aries that"? is pointless.

Technically every single person can be "enslaved by material pleasures and sex" regardless their Sun sign but based on an afflicted ruler of the correspondent houses. Of course, this goes a bit beyond the astrological cookbooks definitions so dearly loved by authors of all kinds of "guides".

P.S. As a long-time Tarot reader, can't help but laugh. Seems the author sees the Devil himself in an interesting way. Or may be she thought the card was about the slaves and was incidentally called "The Devil? Because it changes the concept of Capricorn as ruler of the card, IMO.

triplewaterastro

Mars is about war

I tend to think of Mars as militaristic. I don't know about sign...sign is HOW a planet manifests. So Capricorn may or may not be militaristic (many people would first say Aries, or Leo, both fire signs). But Mars in Capricorn is exalted, and one use for the unfettered Mars energy certainly could be war. Mars most easily expresses his energy in Capricorn.

I know one astrologer uses Mars' exaltation as Scorpio. I like Capricorn as Mars' exaltation. Capricorn is grounded, utilitarian, and knows how to use objects and people to their greatest use. With Mars as application of energy in the form of action, Mars can be very productive manifesting in Capricorn.

Perhaps if a sign is militaristic, Capricorn still might be a good choice. But then, how would Moon in Capricorn for example be militaristic? A good question, thanks for asking.

dadsnook2000

War ?

Libra is considered war-like. One famous WW2 general indicated the necessity to fight for peace and balance in the world. Libra, Mars, 7th house are the indicators given in rulership books and general astrological texts. Go the astroldatabank and run a listing of Generals to see what signs they have for Sun, MC, Asc. Perhaps our opinions can be put to rest with some data. Dave

Minderwiz

Libra is considered war-like. One famous WW2 general indicated the necessity to fight for peace and balance in the world. Libra, Mars, 7th house are the indicators given in rulership books and general astrological texts. Go the astroldatabank and run a listing of Generals to see what signs they have for Sun, MC, Asc. Perhaps our opinions can be put to rest with some data. Dave

Generals, like politicians have a slightly biased view of balance and peace. It's peace on my terms and a balance that favours me LOL. So I'm not sure that this is necessarily a Libran view, if you see Libra as objectively symbolising balance and peace.

A good idea to try a survey though. I did try three of the greatest Generals in Western History - Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, and Napoleon Bonaparte. As I expected there were no charts for the first two (though it did offer me Marlon Brando as an alternative to JC). Napoleon had Virgo ASC. Leo MC and Leo Sun. Napoleon's nemesis Wellington had Capricorn ASC, Scorpio MC and Taurus Sun.

I tried Bernard Montgomery for a great second world war general, and I got Leo ASC, Aries MC and Scorpio Sun. That of course means that Montgomery did have Libra on an angle.

It's not a particularly good survey and I haven't really got the time to extend it. However, assuming the birth times are correct (a big assumption) the thing I note is the preponderance of fixed signs. That makes sense, a good general should have staying power.

dadsnook2000

Libra, will the real Libra stand up, please.

There is a certain school of astrologers who will point out that the sign of Libra is in the constellation (sidereal sign) of Scorpio.

Ronia

However, assuming the birth times are correct (a big assumption) the thing I note is the preponderance of fixed signs. That makes sense, a good general should have staying power.

I'd rather say a winner has to be stubborn even against the odds. Aside from the humor, many of the generals or simply winners we celebrate today were people of arrogance, extreme self-confidence and definite stubborness. It helps when you have to sacrifice thousands for the sake of a few leagues won earth or a city. Being a fixed sign myself, I know how tempting it is to walk over everyone and everything while staying focused on the goal, of course not on the same scale but the trait is still there. like all signs, fixed have double edged swords in their belts and this is one of them, either a gift or a curse, or both just at different times.