Horary Readings Round 7 - Questions

Ronia

If there is no other supporting testimony, as in your example below, I'd be wary of making an unconditional prediction that the matter will be perfected. There is an indication that it might be but if the Moon has no essential dignity and is badly placed, or slow or under the beams, then that would be more an indication of things not happening. If everything else is neutral then it's more a possibility than a probable outcome. Things may work out but it's not certain. Put the Moon in a strong position, say in the tenth, waxing, with some essential dignity, such as Terms or Triplicity, and the possibility becomes much stronger.

Hi Minderwiz and thank you for the time. As you saw beloe the Moon is exalted BUT she is no otherwise dignified, being in the 12th, true - approaching the Asc but in my opinion not close enough to consider her 1st house yet. The Moon was waxing actually. It was before the Full Moon in Taurus.

I'm not sure that I go along with the full Medievalist view that Mars in Capricorn 'hates' the Moon because it's in the sign of the Moon's detriment. And I have doubts about the idea of mutual reception through detriment.

Well, for me this was an interesting case because I happen to know that these two people do like each other. They may not have a relationship yet but they are by no means considering each other physically or emotionally unsuitable, to the best of my knowledge. This is why, from a learning point of you, I wanted to consult you. The Moon is applying to Mars from his place of detriment and traditionally Mars would reject her but... On the other hand why would the Moon apply to this Mars in her own place of detriment at all? Traditionally she shouldn't see anything in him. I don't know, we'll see what the future brings but I'm not sure about this.

The Moon in Taurus and Mars in Capricorn are both strong and the trine is bringing them together. But there is no reception involved (unless it is a night chart and the Moon is the Triplicity ruler) or unless there is reception by Terms. So whether the relationship will last is not certain. Again, there may be other factors in the chart which points towards success).

Nope, no other factors, in my humble opinion, as I've described below. This is why I wondered how I should treat the Moon trining the male significator.

There's one other point that inclines me to agree with you. The Moon is the co-significator for the querent but the main significator is Venus (assuming you're using the first and seventh).

Yes, the female significator was Venus. At this point Venus was combust (though separating by more than 3 degrees already but still under the beams), in the 6th and in Scorpio - pretty much as bad as it gets. That she was combust has an explanation in real life and indeed she was burned (there is no other man though). In any case, there was no upcoming aspect between Venus and Mars, no translation of light, nothing else to give positive answer. The only slightly positive thing would be Venus being in Mars' sign and Mars being in her triplicity but this could simply point out at the fact that these two people are finding each other "not bad". :D

I don't see the Moon as being the other person, but more as a force of nature that is bringing them together in the sublunar world.

According to my limited knowledge, the Moon is co-significator of the querent and also kind of signifies the question, the thing asked about itself, right? It can't be the other person.

That makes the involvement of the Moon, less personal though still acting for the querent. That the Moon is 'secondary' in this sense is seen through the process of horary. The first thing you checked was to see if there was a relationship between Venus and Mars, not to see if there was a relationship between Moon and Mars (or Moon and Venus as I've seen some horary writers take the Moon as co-significator for both querent and quesited).

Of course that idea would not apply if the Moon was the sign ruler of the querent or quesited and was a personal singificator.

Yes, I took the Moon as secondary, however I took the Moon as the querent herself, considering the Moon being the querent's co-significator and thinking that the querent seems to be the one more eager to pursue this connection with the questited (the Moon being the faster and applying to Mars).

The question is: will they get together or not? Romantically, that is. If I take the Moon as an external force, then as a ruler of the 4th I can't really see how either their families or home lifes or anything 4th house related would bring them together. Both are immigrants here, no families with them at all.

Correction: I checked the chart again and the Moon rules the 3rd as well, which makes more sense in terms of some communication, I guess. But the question for me remains: will the trine from the Moon to Mars be sufficient for a positive outcome? And in general, what do you think Minderwiz about the power of the Moon in horary? Would it be sufficient?

P.S. All significators are actually in some dignity of Venus, I just noticed. The Moon is not only in Taurus but in Venus' terms as well. Mars is in Venus's triplicity and borderline in her terms, too (leaving though). May be that shows their liking each other. Or may be he doesn't like her that much anymore. I'm confused.

Minderwiz

.....The Moon is applying to Mars from his place of detriment and traditionally Mars would reject her but... On the other hand why would the Moon apply to this Mars in her own place of detriment at all? Traditionally she shouldn't see anything in him. I don't know, we'll see what the future brings but I'm not sure about this.

You have the essence of the Medieval view but that's not the only 'tradition' nor the 'gold standard; of the tradition. It's certainly one way of looking at the issues and it has its roots in the earlier Hellenistic tradition. But that earlier tradition (which lacked a horary branch) sees the planet in sign relationship as always (with the exception of a planet in it's own sign) as lying in the relationship between the planet and its host (or dispositor). In the case of exaltation that relationship can improve the way that the planet performs its signification. Thus Mars in Capricorn has Saturn as it's host. Both planets are concerned with dividing, though in different ways. Mars is aggressive, impetuous and full of action. Saturn is slow ponderous and reflects on its actions. Thus with the exaltation we get more considered use of aggression or action, or even a decision not to act. The considered use of action, rather than action for its own sake.

The Moon in Capricorn brings together the Moon and Saturn. Their significations are opposite. The Moon is inclusive, it brings things together but its host is more concerned with excluding or rejection, with dividing between us and them (or even me and them). The Moon is uncomfortable in Capricorn, whereas Mars is happy and able to act with greater purpose.

Now that of itself does not mean that the Moon would dislike or repulse Mars, or that what Mars signifies would be rejected by what the Moon signifies. It means that Mars gets on with Saturn, whereas the Moon does not. One of the characteristics of planets that has fallen out of use is the concept of 'friends' and 'enemies' From their nature, Moon and Saturn are not friends.

I think the Medieval approach takes things to a level that was not originally intended. I'm not saying it's wrong but it's not the only way of looking at things.

Ronia said:
Yes, the female significator was Venus. At this point Venus was combust (though separating by more than 3 degrees already but still under the beams), in the 6th and in Scorpio - pretty much as bad as it gets. That she was combust has an explanation in real life and indeed she was burned (there is no other man though). In any case, there was no upcoming aspect between Venus and Mars, no translation of light, nothing else to give positive answer. The only slightly positive thing would be Venus being in Mars' sign and Mars being in her triplicity but this could simply point out at the fact that these two people are finding each other "not bad". :D

Yes, it does indicate attraction though not at a level that would produce a result (such as Mutual Reception by sign). It's also interesting that the Moon is in Taurus, which is Venus' sign as well as the Moon's exaltation. From the above discussion the Moon draws on Venus for support that will push up her own effectiveness.

Ronia said:
According to my limited knowledge, the Moon is co-significator of the querent and also kind of signifies the question, the thing asked about itself, right? It can't be the other person.

Returning to Bonatti, he says that the Moon 'particpates in signification of everything.' It is concerned in the signification of 'every question, nativity, enterprise and business and her good condition to show the good issue of the thing and so on the contrary'

The Moon is not the thing itself but is an indicator of its 'wellbeing' (my word) The Moon if strong can bring the matter to perfection, even if the main significators are weak. For the tradition (all branches) the Moon is the key planet in determining what happens here on Earth.

Ronia said:
Yes, I took the Moon as secondary, however I took the Moon as the querent herself, considering the Moon being the querent's co-significator and thinking that the querent seems to be the one more eager to pursue this connection with the questited (the Moon being the faster and applying to Mars).

The question is: will they get together or not? Romantically, that is. If I take the Moon as an external force, then as a ruler of the 4th I can't really see how either their families or home lifes or anything 4th house related would bring them together. Both are immigrants here, no families with them at all.

From Bonatti, the Moon is all pervasive in sublunary matters. It mediates what happens in the heavens to what happens on Earth. It's not an external force in the sense of something separate from other things here on Earth. It helps to indicate whether the heavens are supportive of the question or not. Indeed it's the most important indicator for some writers. That means that the Moon in bad condition can mean that the matter is not perfected, even if the main significators point to perfection. One of the things the chart shows is the strength of support for the matter, through the strength of the Moon at the time the question was asked. That's part of the reason why a VOC Moon means that the chart is not fit for judgement, ditto Moon in the Via Combusta for Medieval writers.

I think you are particularising the Moon to much to being the querent and nothing more. Lilly often uses the phrase 'give the Moon to the querent' meaning not that the Moon is the querent but the Moon indicates (signifies) support for the querent by it's motion, aspects and placement.

Ronia said:
But the question for me remains: will the trine from the Moon to Mars be sufficient for a positive outcome? And in general, what do you think Minderwiz about the power of the Moon in horary? Would it be sufficient?

I've said something about the role of the Moon, not only in horary but in charts generally. Will the Moon bring about perfection here?

Yes assuming that it has no debilities. You have already indicated that it is in the twelfth, it would obviously be better in the first.

A new Moon or a Full Moon are not good, nor of course is an eclipse. A waxing Moon is good, as is a fast Moon. You described the chart as being cast before the Full Moon in Taurus, so how far from that Full Moon was it? You have a waxing Moon which is good but if it's already applying to the opposition with the Sun. then it's not far off loosing it's power.

So: Strong points

Moon in exaltation, Waxing Moon (increasing in light)

Weak points

Moon in the twelfth. Possible Full Moon

And of course there are other factors, such as aspects from benefics and malefics (including accidental ones) conjunctions with fixed stars, if any

If the latter are positive then I'd say the matter will perfect. If they are neutral and the Moon is not at Full, then I'd also go along with the matter perfecting.

If the latter factors are adverse, then the matter may not perfect. If they are very negative or the Moon is on the point of Full, then the matter won't perfect.

Ronia said:
P.S. All significators are actually in some dignity of Venus, I just noticed. The Moon is not only in Taurus but in Venus' terms as well. Mars is in Venus's triplicity and borderline in her terms, too (leaving though). May be that shows their liking each other. Or may be he doesn't like her that much anymore. I'm confused.

Yes it does indicate that they are attracted though not necessarily very strongly. It's at least a basis for going somewhere LOL.

Ronia

You have the essence of the Medieval view but that's not the only 'tradition' nor the 'gold standard; of the tradition. It's certainly one way of looking at the issues and it has its roots in the earlier Hellenistic tradition. But that earlier tradition (which lacked a horary branch) sees the planet in sign relationship as always (with the exception of a planet in it's own sign) as lying in the relationship between the planet and its host (or dispositor). In the case of exaltation that relationship can improve the way that the planet performs its signification. Thus Mars in Capricorn has Saturn as it's host. Both planets are concerned with dividing, though in different ways. Mars is aggressive, impetuous and full of action. Saturn is slow ponderous and reflects on its actions. Thus with the exaltation we get more considered use of aggression or action, or even a decision not to act. The considered use of action, rather than action for its own sake.

The Moon in Capricorn brings together the Moon and Saturn. Their significations are opposite. The Moon is inclusive, it brings things together but its host is more concerned with excluding or rejection, with dividing between us and them (or even me and them). The Moon is uncomfortable in Capricorn, whereas Mars is happy and able to act with greater purpose.

Now that of itself does not mean that the Moon would dislike or repulse Mars, or that what Mars signifies would be rejected by what the Moon signifies. It means that Mars gets on with Saturn, whereas the Moon does not. One of the characteristics of planets that has fallen out of use is the concept of 'friends' and 'enemies' From their nature, Moon and Saturn are not friends.

I think the Medieval approach takes things to a level that was not originally intended. I'm not saying it's wrong but it's not the only way of looking at things.

Hi Minderwiz, thanks for the tips. However, I meant Bonatti's perfection table. He says the aspect will be received if the planet applying comes from a place of dignity of the receiving planet. This is why I thought Mars would not receive the Moon BUT I happen to know the people like each other and I was just trying to apply Bonatti's rule in real life and somehow bring together both things, which I'm failing to do. It's probably, as you say, that Mars performs better in capricorn than the Moon and I understand that BUT the Moon is applying from Mars' sign of detriment and I wondered how the quesited would see the querent in this case. May be it's just that the quesited feels the querent is weakening him in a way and it also matches what you said below about the Moon drawing on Venus's power as well. I find it fascinating, a Shakespearean romance, really. :) (the horary, not the real life story)

Yes, it does indicate attraction though not at a level that would produce a result (such as Mutual Reception by sign). It's also interesting that the Moon is in Taurus, which is Venus' sign as well as the Moon's exaltation. From the above discussion the Moon draws on Venus for support that will push up her own effectiveness.

I hadn't thought of the combined force Moon+Venus, thanks for pointing that out.

Returning to Bonatti, he says that the Moon 'particpates in signification of everything.' It is concerned in the signification of 'every question, nativity, enterprise and business and her good condition to show the good issue of the thing and so on the contrary'

The Moon is not the thing itself but is an indicator of its 'wellbeing' (my word) The Moon if strong can bring the matter to perfection, even if the main significators are weak. For the tradition (all branches) the Moon is the key planet in determining what happens here on Earth.

That's what I wasn't sure about: if the Moon can perfect a matter in cases when there is no hope between the main significators or any third planet to join the game.

From Bonatti, the Moon is all pervasive in sublunary matters. It mediates what happens in the heavens to what happens on Earth. It's not an external force in the sense of something separate from other things here on Earth. It helps to indicate whether the heavens are supportive of the question or not. Indeed it's the most important indicator for some writers. That means that the Moon in bad condition can mean that the matter is not perfected, even if the main significators point to perfection. One of the things the chart shows is the strength of support for the matter, through the strength of the Moon at the time the question was asked. That's part of the reason why a VOC Moon means that the chart is not fit for judgement, ditto Moon in the Via Combusta for Medieval writers.

I think you are particularising the Moon to much to being the querent and nothing more. Lilly often uses the phrase 'give the Moon to the querent' meaning not that the Moon is the querent but the Moon indicates (signifies) support for the querent by it's motion, aspects and placement.

Yes, I probably did because I've always thought of the Moon as a co-significator of the querent. I need to refresh my memory and read a few more horary texts!

I've said something about the role of the Moon, not only in horary but in charts generally. Will the Moon bring about perfection here?

Yes assuming that it has no debilities. You have already indicated that it is in the twelfth, it would obviously be better in the first.

A new Moon or a Full Moon are not good, nor of course is an eclipse. A waxing Moon is good, as is a fast Moon. You described the chart as being cast before the Full Moon in Taurus, so how far from that Full Moon was it? You have a waxing Moon which is good but if it's already applying to the opposition with the Sun. then it's not far off loosing it's power.

No, the Moon was not applying to the Sun yet. She had not entered the 12 degrees orbit yet. On the verge but not within it.

So: Strong points

Moon in exaltation, Waxing Moon (increasing in light)

Weak points

Moon in the twelfth. Possible Full Moon

And of course there are other factors, such as aspects from benefics and malefics (including accidental ones) conjunctions with fixed stars, if any

OK, so she was separating from an opposition with Mercury, more than 4 degrees; no other aspect before the trine with Mars. There is only one star there, some Minach or something like that, which I don't know much about, probably because it's not one of the main ones.

If the latter are positive then I'd say the matter will perfect. If they are neutral and the Moon is not at Full, then I'd also go along with the matter perfecting.

If the latter factors are adverse, then the matter may not perfect. If they are very negative or the Moon is on the point of Full, then the matter won't perfect.

I am curious to see if the Moon will perfect this. sadly, the querent asked about 2015, so there is long time to wait!

Thanks for your help!

CaliforniaTarot

So I don't know what to make of a DIRECT north node...

I asked if a certain guy whom I regard as a huge player, but also very attractive, is my love soulmate and the chart surprised me... I have a direct North Node in the 2nd House Libra meaning the opposite is a direct South Node in 8th house Aries. Direct nodes are rare so I googled on the Internet to try and find out what it meant and apparently it means karmic... so is the answer to my question: "Yes he IS your soulmate in love."?

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...orbp=&rs=0&add=18&add=19&add=14&node=-Yn&ast=

Minderwiz

Astrological charts an be cast with one of two types of Nodes. The first is the 'Mean Nodes' and these are used by most Astrologers. This literally averages out the movement of the Nodes and thus always gives a retrograde movement.

The second is 'True Nodes' which gives the actual nodal position at a particular time. True Nodes can be either Retrograde or Direct but, as you point out, it is relatively rare that they are Direct.

For a more detailed explanation of why there is this slight difference (they two are never more than a degree and a half apart) see:

http://www.forrestastrology.com/resources/articles/general-astrology/124-mean-nodes-vs-true-nodes

There is a lot of argument about whether there is any astrological difference between the two measures. Personally, I agree with Forrest, there is no real difference but you will find Astrologers who argue the point quite passionately (often without knowing exactly what the difference is).

The attribution of Karma to the nodes is very much a modern incorporation from Jyotish, or Vedic Astrology.

To learn more about the nodes in Jyotish, have a look at:

http://www.yogicastrology.com/articles/vedic-astrology/rahu-ketu.shtml

But as far as I'm aware Jyotish does not as a whole, attribute special karmic meaning to true nodes, though you will find similar arguments around the true and mean nodes, as in Western Astrology.

Minderwiz

I'm now re-opening the thread.

I have had a request from Ira for a reading. If anyone else wishes one then please post.

autumn star

I would love one. Someone did horary reading a few years ago and it was very accurate. I would like to know about the next 6 months please, does my question need to be more specific?

Ethereal

Hi minderwiz..

I think i posted follow up questions regarding
my dear friends health matters again. please
let me know if you will be able to do them
thank u!

I do have few more
1. What should i be made aware of regarding
my last employers reason for drastically cutting
my hours?

2, whst should i be made aware of regarding
manager ..initials..CJ?

3. How ethical is the owner ?

Thanks!

anie

Hello,

I wonder if you have some time (looks like you are getting busy) if you can chart a connection between myself and C as it appears moving into the future (not sure how far you look out) we are not dating both with others at this time, friends for years... Scorpio is my sign/he is aries . which may help you- if you like dates of birth pm me I will send to you:)

Minderwiz

I would love one. Someone did horary reading a few years ago and it was very accurate. I would like to know about the next 6 months please, does my question need to be more specific?

Yes, can you pick out a specific area such as career,or home, or relationships. Horary is quite specific in its focus.