new to astrology

spinnachie

Hi all
I am fairly new to astrology...basically all i really know is the signs of the zodiac...through reading horoscopes...i was wondering if anyone could tell me where a complete beginner would start...what books would you recommend...what software would you recommend...etc...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Minderwiz

Hi all
I am fairly new to astrology...basically all i really know is the signs of the zodiac...through reading horoscopes...i was wondering if anyone could tell me where a complete beginner would start...what books would you recommend...what software would you recommend...etc...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

If that's the extent of your knowledge at the moment, I'd suggest starting with something like Parker's Astrology. I don't think it's currently in print and there's a 'new' copy on Amazon UK going for astronomically silly money. However there are second hand copies out there which can be ridiculously cheap. Nick Campion wrote a similar book called 'The Practical Astrologer'.

The advantage of these books is that they take you through everything a beginner needs to know, including how to cast a chart. All necessary tables are provided and there are examples of the procedures.

Both books also give you the necessary run down on planets, signs and houses and some basic interpretations.

These books are not the only introductory books, you will find a lot more in the resources thread and new introductory books are being published at regular intervals, so it may well be that more will be added.

Astrology in the west has become a very dynamic area in the last twenty to twenty five years and there has been an awakening of interest (or at least a widening of interest) in both its tradition and in Jyotish or Vedic Astrology - the Astrology practiced in India, which is actually related to the early tradition in the west.

Thus twenty years ago it was assumed that a beginner in Astrology was interested solely in natal Astrology and solely in that branch of natal Astrology that looked at character analysis. Now some form of character analysis has always existed in natal Astrology. It's almost impossible to practice natal Astrology without it. However it was rarely practiced for its own sake. It was a means to an end and that end involved prediction.

Changes in attitudes and especially the law relating to 'fortune telling' meant that the revivial of Astrology in the early twentieth century had to avoid the prediction side. Although that is no longer the case, thank goodness, several decades of self denial still mean that prediction is still seen as of very much secondary importance in some quarters.

The revival of interest in the tradition has led to a shift here, there's now more interest in 'event' oriented Astrology rather than simply an analysis of character. So at some point you will need to decide what you want to use Astrology for. Don't rush into that, take your time and try and get an idea of what Astrology actually covers beyond the natal dimension.

Once you feel confident in putting a chart together and making very simple interpretations. Then you might consider doing some reading around on the history of Astrology both in the west and some awareness of Jyotish. That will help you make your choice in terms of direction and help to set the pattern of your further reading.

There's only one software program I'd recommend to the absolute beginner who wants to keep their costs down. That is Morinus, a free download. If you are willing to pay a little for a program, then Halloran Software's Astrology for Windows is very good. I've also come across another freeware program called Planetdance by Jean Cremers. I've not really tested it to destruction but it's worth a look, especially as there are versions for tablets and phones (I helped in the beta testing).

None of the above programs will 'help' you with interpretations, like some of the really expensive stuff but that's not a bad thing. It's best to try your own based on whichever books you are using. To begin with you will be using the software as a check on your own calculations as you learn to construct a chart. Later on the calculations will go and you will reach for the software first. Don't forget the lessons from constructing your own charts though, as human error can dog even the best software. I've entered the wrong times in the dialogue boxes and got the wrong chart too many times in the past to trust my own competence in data entry. But I do know that a chart for someone born around midday, should have the Sun near the top of the chart and not hiding down in the bottom. If it is, they I know I entered the wrong time. :(

One last point. Don't forget to ask questions here if you get lost or things don't make sense. So I look forward to further questions from you - Good luck.

Resources

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15205

http://sourceforge.net/projects/morinus/files/Morinus/8.0.5/

http://www.halloran.com/allsoft.htm#ast4win

http://www.halloran.com/allsoft.htm#ast4win

You can download a free version of Astrology for Windows but it is very limited (I think the number of allowed charts is very small) but if you are considering the full verion it is worth checking out the freeversion first. If I remember correctly the version I had many years ago was great but for one thing. It did not allow the use of Whole Sign Houses and was thus of virtually no use in Jyotish or Medieval Astrology. It also had very few (well, no) features that enabled its use for a traditional approach - even its expensive big brother failed on that, which is why I reluctantly switched to the even more expensive Solar Fire. Even that proved to be insufficient for my needs, not because it wasn't sophisticated enough but because some of the basics of the tradition were missing. Morinus for nothing, includes those basics. It just shows that you don't really need to shell out loads of cash.

spinnachie

WOW Minderwiz...first off i want to say that was some amazing information!

and yes, I mean, I know the different traits that relate to each sign (mostly) and i have corrine kenners tarot and astrology, which i purchased because i wanted to learn how to incorporate astrology into a tarot reading...i do think the book has some interesting information but i feel its not for someone at my level...which is why i went and purchased llewellayns complete book of astrology...but correct me if im wrong i didn't see any information on how to create a chart...i did some research online and there are no websites with information on that either.
Now that im listing what i have i suppose ill add that i also have the big bad ass book of the zodiac...which is quite humourous and informative but again the same problem is present.
I will take a look at the books you recommended...perhaps if im lucky maybe even buy one! :)
as far as the software goes...im wondering if i should hold off on downloading that until i read the books or would it be handy to have while im reading them?
thank you so much for taking the time to shower me with all that information! and you will definately see me in the forums asking questions...you might even get sick of me lol ..right now i am going to check out the links you provided :)

Minderwiz

I had a quick sneak preview of the Llewellyn's Complete Book of Astrology, or at least the free sample from Amazon. It seems to be a fairly standard modern approach, which is fine as a start and indeed it might be fine for much more if you like the approach.

I might well quibble with some of the introduction, which puts forward ideas as fact which are now at least debatable. And indeed its positively misleading in terms of the origins of Horoscopic Astrology, which unlike natural Astrology is not 16,000 years old - its 2,000 years old. However these are quibble points and not really essential to your learning at this stage. Use the book but just bear in mind that some of it is now being queried or at least discussed afresh.

The same points would hold against either of the books I mentioned, there just isn't much in the way of a basic text which reflects current ideas. And to be honest that's not surprising. What you have is a mainstream late twentieth century view and as an introduction it will serve you well.

I didn't get a chapter listing, so I can't say for sure whether it covers chart construction but it would not surprise me one little bit if it did not. In the days when I started Astrology there were no computers (well there were but they occupied whole floors of buildings, required environmental control, cost zillions and had only a fraction of the computing power of your mobile phone). Therefore it was essential to learn how to set up a chart using pencil and paper and a calculator (which thankfully had been invented, though for some other forum Astrologers even that would have been considered a luxury).

Do you really need to learn how to calculate a chart? As something of an awkward bugger I would say yes. However it is possible to practice without having learned how to do that. The problem is that it leaves you with a view of a chart that is literally the result of filling in a dialogue box and pressing a button. You really don't know where it comes from or what it's based on (other than the time place and date of birth). So I would urge you to find out at some point. Your understanding of what a chart is will be much better.

Here's a website that shows you how.

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/astrology/Calculations/calcGMT.htm

The method of establishing the Ascendant and MC are totally independent of approach, be it traditional or modern. What you might find different from author to author is the house system used. Virtually all systems use the Ascendant as determining the cusp of the first house. In Jyotish and indeed Western Astrology before the medieval period the rising sign as a whole forms(ed) the first house. This is the easiest system to learn as a beginner, though the overwhelming majority of practicing Astrologers use the Placidus system and you will find that as the default for sites such as Astrodienst.

When I learned Astrology, Placidus was king though there was a hot debate over whether the (then new) Koch sytem was better. The argument over the best system of houses seems to have died down and indeed recent research calls it into question anyway.

Almost certainly Llewellyn will use Placidus and it might not even mention other systems. The good thing about Morinus et al is that you can change the house system very easily. So if you want to know what your chart would look like in a different system, just have a play. You can't break it LOL.

spinnachie

I don't think it shows you how to construct a chart...I haven't read the book through and through yet but from just having a quick glance I didn't see chart construction, I bought it without actually looking through it because I thought "why wouldn't it have chart construction?" combined with being in a bit of a hurry...so lesson learned! lol

I absolutely would love to learn to construct a chart by hand...In taking a look at that website you provided...it states that you will need an ephemeris...can you recommend a good one? or is it what you recommended in your first post?

Minderwiz

You will find the Swiss Ephemeris online at:

http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swepha_e.htm

Just click on the year that you want to use.

If you get serious, then you're into buying two volumes,

The American Ephemeris of the Twentieth Century (1900-2000)
The Americal Ephemeris of the Twenty First Century (2000-2050

or, if you are not going to consult for any date prior to 1950, then

The American Ephemeris 1950-2050

will do nicely.

You can get them for either the midnight or noon positions. I use midnight verisions but I know some Astrologers who prefer the noon ones. There's nothing in it really. If your 'how to construct a chart' instructions use midnight positions for the examples, then go along with that and get midnight ones. Midnight ones are, I think, the most widely used,and once you start doing charts for people in other countries, they are probably the best.

Despite the fact that they are books, and I can easily construct a chart on the computer, they remain invaluable because it's often much easier to pull the book off the shelf and use it to find out what is going on.

spinnachie

Thank you very much Minderwiz for all the information you have provided me, you have been extremely helpful :)
I cant wait to to my chart!!!

Minderwiz

Thank you very much Minderwiz for all the information you have provided me, you have been extremely helpful :)
I cant wait to to my chart!!!

You're welcome :) Let me know if you get and I'll try and help you out

Rhoswen

I'd recommend The New Compleat Astrologer by Derek & Julia Parker. (Minderwiz, my apologies if that's what you meant by "Parker's Astrology.")

The website astro.com, already mentioned, has a lot of valuable information, for free, in addition to its ephemeris and chart-calculation tools.

Also, check online to see if there's a local astrological society or meet-up (check meetup.com) or simply classes taught by local astrologers. Real-life people will have real-life books that they might be happy to lend to you.

I'd hold off on buying software until you're completely facile with using and interpreting the charts offered on astro.com. Astrology software is pricey, imho, and not needed unless you're turning pro.

Minderwiz

I'd recommend The New Compleat Astrologer by Derek & Julia Parker. (Minderwiz, my apologies if that's what you meant by "Parker's Astrology.")

Same authors but different book. The prices of the Parker's older work seem to be quite varied depending on where you look. but do command high prices because of the rarity value of new copies. Using Amazon as a guide for both: there's an asking price of over £2,000 in the UK for a new version of the compleat Astrologer and over £4,000 for the Parker's Astrology in mint condition. I could see the latter for just over $22 in the US but US copies of the New Compleat Astrologer were $60 upwards. Second hand copies of both were are dirt cheap on both Amazon sites. I've not read the New Compleat Astrologer, so I don't know whether it does chart calculations. However you will get the standard Parker approach in both no doubt. They are good authors for the complete beginner.

Rhoswen said:
Also, check online to see if there's a local astrological society or meet-up (check meetup.com) or simply classes taught by local astrologers. Real-life people will have real-life books that they might be happy to lend to you.

A great idea!!!

Rhoswen said:
I'd hold off on buying software until you're completely facile with using and interpreting the charts offered on astro.com. Astrology software is pricey, imho, and not needed unless you're turning pro.

The programs I recommended were freebies, apart from the shareware registration charge for Halloran's Astrology for Windows. I very much agree with your point about the 'larger' versions such as Solar Fire, etc. They are aimed at the serious amateur or the professional and can contain features that you would never use, indeed they contain features that many professionals would never use because they try and appeal to as wide a market as they can. Thus you could use Solar Fire for Jyotish but most Astrologers who buy it would not used that facility.

As well as a mega range of features, many 'serious' programs will do interpretations for you. These tend to done on the 'legal contract' template - that is they choose pre-written interpretations for a particular feature, say Sun in Pisces or Sun square Mars and then cobble together a 'report' by selecting the paragraphs that match your input data. They can go on for 50 or more pages and are frankly quite useless for learning purposes, indeed they militate against learning. They tend to be used, if at all, by lazy professional Astrologers who sell the reports over the internet.

So, yes, stay clear of those. The freebies are now very good for chart calculation and presentation and are much quicker than using Astro.com and usually more able to be tailored to your needs. But remember, they draw the chart for you, according to the requirements you have (such as house system, excluding or including asteroids, including or excluding the outers, adding in more points, etc) you still need to interpret the results and there's no substitute for reading learning and discussing with others.