Death clarified by Two of Cups

When I asked about the future outcome of a relationship, I received Death, clarified by Two of Cups. To me, Death is about transformation and a new beginning that involves leaving something behind. The Two of Cups seems like positive in terms of the relationship. Could this be about a possible marriage, or leaving something in the past behind but continuing with the relationship?

If I had seen the Three of Swords or Ten of Swords, for example, I would feel like Death meant the ending of the relationship.

Thirteen

Moderator Note: Were these the only two cards?

Hey, 830, were these the only two cards you put down in answer to this question? Or was this a large spread with these two as the final cards? Please let us know ASAP. And, please, when asking questions in Using Tarot Cards do try to specify if cards came from a larger spread with something like: "These were the last two cards from a larger spread..." It helps us moderators keep house :)

Hey, 830, were these the only two cards you put down in answer to this question? Or was this a large spread with these two as the final cards? Please let us know ASAP. And, please, when asking questions in Using Tarot Cards do try to specify if cards came from a larger spread with something like: "These were the last two cards from a larger spread..." It helps us moderators keep house :)

Hi Thirteen, the Death was the final card in a three card reading about the relationship. Since I didn't understand it, I pulled Two of Cups to clarify it.

Thirteen

You can't ignoring the Death Card....

Thanks for clarifying that the cards were from a larger reading! :)
When I asked about the future outcome of a relationship, I received Death, clarified by Two of Cups. To me, Death is about transformation and a new beginning that involves leaving something behind. The Two of Cups seems like positive in terms of the relationship. Could this be about a possible marriage, or leaving something in the past behind but continuing with the relationship?
Death is a final end. The end. Book over, no more to read. No sequel. The end. Time to find a new book. 2/Cups is looking at new books that have come out and seeing one that intrigues you. Reading the teaser of what it's about, and feeling that it might be exactly right for you. Thinking maybe you'll read it...or maybe you'll keep looking. From how you're reading these cards, however, and given that you set down a clarifier at all, it seems you want to ignore that Death card, pretend it doesn't mean what it means. But 2/Cups says it does--and yes, it says it in a positive way. Death closes a door but opens another door. So, 2/Cups reaffirms that a new door (new relationship) will open. But it doesn't change or erase that the door on *this* relationship is going to close in the future.

This is very important for all Tarot readers to know. Don't ignore or try to make "good" (with clarifiers) messages you don't like. The Death card told you the relationship is heading towards an end. If you don't want that to happen, then ask the cards how you can change that. Don't keep trying to make the cards give you a different answer. That's like a friend telling you "OMG! There's a hurricane heading your way!" You wouldn't say, "That doesn't sound so bad. We could use some rain" would you? You wouldn't ignore a friend giving you an important message like that. So why ignore what the cards are trying to tell you? And likely, what you would say is, "What should I do? Where should I go to be safe?"

The cards are there to help *you* get what you want. Not give it to you. So. What action do you need to take to make sure the future of this relationship continues and does go to the next level? Ask the cards that question.

NOTE: If you do ask this question, do not post what you get here in this thread. That is a new reading. If you want to talk about it, be it one card or many, post in Your Readings and post a link to it here.

IndigoWaves

This could mean that the relationship will end and be impossible to revive (Death), but one person will keep trying to "reconnect" with the ex, anyway, in emotionally entreating ways (2C).

Thank you, IndigoWaves and Thirteen. I have read various posts online about Death which lead me to be confused about it. I definitely can see how the Two of Cups could be signaling that this relationship will end because another new relationship will take place with someone else. And IndigoWaves, it is possible that one person will try to keep it going. It is certainly more logical that Death means the end.

headincloud

simply reads the end of the relationship. Death was a pretty definate answer and the 2C ties it back to the relationship for you on clarification.

Thanks, headincloud. I could certainly see how that will be the case. For me in other readings, Death has always meant transformation. In a reading about whether or not someone would get a job offer, Death came up in the middle (not third/final position), and I read that as he would get the job, but he would be saying goodbye to something in his old job (the freedom to walk around and not be confined to a desk).

So when Death came up in a relationship reading, I thought "transformation" at first, but then I wondered if it was accurate.

Also, when I was researching it earlier, I found a forum on here where someone wrote that they once pulled Death and Two of Cups for a relationship's future, and it turned out that they got married. So that's what made me start wondering if anyone else had that spin on it. Some websites say Death is saying goodbye to the single life, yet many more say it means the end.

Thirteen

Also, when I was researching it earlier, I found a forum on here where someone wrote that they once pulled Death and Two of Cups for a relationship's future, and it turned out that they got married.
I imagine that Death + 2/Cups might mean end of single person, start of married couple. But I'd only see it that way if (1) Both cards were read together (not if one was clarifying the other) and (2) if there were supporting cards to confirm it (like 4/Wands). Remember, a clarification is like saying to the deck, "Can you say that again?" So the deck said: "Death" (transformation end)—you said, "say that again?"—and the deck said, "Okay...2/Cups" (end to old, start fresh) same message said differently. Not the two, together, to be read as a sentence (i.e. Transformation from single person into married couple: Death + 2/Cups).

But why don't you just ask the deck for confirmation? "Transformation of the relationship is coming." you say, "What form will it take?" Lay down a card. (again, DON'T POST IT IN THIS THREAD. It's a new reading and gets it's own YR thread). If you get 4/Wands or something like that, you'll know your instincts were right and marriage is likely. Best to make sure. You don't want to be expecting marriage from these two and then have the person you're in the relationship with say, "I think we should split up," learning the hard way that these two meant an ending to the relationship. Especially when, if you knew these two cards meant that, you could ask the cards how to avoid or change it.

I see your point about two cards in a reading side-by-side versus one card with another to clarify it. I will take your advice for another reading. Great input, everyone. Thank you!