Devil & Star next to each other?

katep

I've had this come up in two readings recently, one for myself and one for someone else. In both cases the cards were at the beginning of a 5 card fairly general spread asking a question about a relationship. There were no present, past or future positions. Devil first then Star.

I'm feeling a little stumped. I suppose one possible interpretation is, to quote Marvin Gaye, 'sexual healing' but in my case at least that doesn't make sense.

The Devil to me is either temptation, sex or toxic attachments while the Star is purity and healing, so they are pretty much opposites ... aren't they?

Does it show that the toxic attachments will be healed? Is that too simplistic?

Would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

IndigoWaves

I'd see this as an unhealthy existing relationship, obsessive desires to become involved with another person, or a warning about troubles to come with someone who *seems* OK so far (Devil)... And this potentially very damaging energy is being downplayed/dismissed by overly optimistic, "wishful" thinking (Star). Red flags are being ignored because of misguided hope.

katep

I can see that being applicable, thank you Indigo. In fact, in my case the 3rd card was 6 Wands. That could almost be 'careful what you wish for!', couldn't it?!

headincloud

Healing of attachment as you said or hope around an oppressive situation or cycle? it depends on the other cards though.

chainsmoker

How about someone distancing themselves from someone a bit obsessed/controlling? Separating from them and from all devilish attachments? And healing at the same time, sure. :)

EmpyreanKnight

The Devil points out that one or even both parties in the relationship finally recognized the injurious chains, the obsessions, and perhaps even neuroses that is harming their bond. The Star shows that they are working on it, and they hope that perhaps things will get better because of their efforts. In your case, the 6 of Wands - the Lord of Victory - show that with sincerity and commitment, this just might work out.

IndigoWaves

In fact, in my case the 3rd card was 6 Wands. That could almost be 'careful what you wish for!', couldn't it?!
I could see that, yes. The desired person may turn out to have a massive ego, for example (6W), perhaps including heartless control/manipulation of partners (Devil).

IMO, the Devil is one card that really never bodes well in relationship readings. At best, it can indicate great sex, but even that doesn't seem to come without a cost. Sooner or later, very dark and potentially very damaging issues emerge... And as the first card drawn, it does appear that this particular relationship, or the urge to be in it, is based upon devilish energy.

katep

I have to say that even with positive later cards my heart sinks if I see the Devil in any reading...

In my case this is a relationship that has ended but I have a sneaky feeling I haven't heard the last of it. I guess either these cards mean I'm right and are a warning to not get drawn back in or they are telling me to get my ego under control and move on...

SunChariot

I've had this come up in two readings recently, one for myself and one for someone else. In both cases the cards were at the beginning of a 5 card fairly general spread asking a question about a relationship. There were no present, past or future positions. Devil first then Star.

I'm feeling a little stumped. I suppose one possible interpretation is, to quote Marvin Gaye, 'sexual healing' but in my case at least that doesn't make sense.

The Devil to me is either temptation, sex or toxic attachments while the Star is purity and healing, so they are pretty much opposites ... aren't they?

Does it show that the toxic attachments will be healed? Is that too simplistic?

Would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

For me, The Devil is basically about tempation...about feeling tempted to do something that may not be in your best interest. Can be addictions as well, like having feeling tempted to have a cigarette when trying to quit. Or a huge piece of chocolate cake when dieting. The Star is about hope and faith.

Together for me, the cards say that the querent will feel tempted to do something that would not be good for them in the long run, but that he HAS inside him what it takes to resist it. That they should have faith in that, in knowing that they CAN choose to resist the temptation. And that hope and knowing that they have what it takes to overcome it will see them through to the other side. They just need to hold onto that, have faith and hope in their inner power and they will be strong enough to resist the temptation.

Babs

SunChariot

I have to say that even with positive later cards my heart sinks if I see the Devil in any reading...

In my case this is a relationship that has ended but I have a sneaky feeling I haven't heard the last of it. I guess either these cards mean I'm right and are a warning to not get drawn back in or they are telling me to get my ego under control and move on...

In that case, the cards are likely saying that relationship ended because it was not the best for you, and you CAN (and are meant to) find a better one that would make you happier.

I see it that way too, as a warning to not get drawn back in. That might be the temptation. But instead to hold onto the faith and hope that there is something better for you out there, a partner whom you could be much happier with. And if that is so why go back to something that would not make you as happy when you have faith there is something better for you coming.

Babs