Baba Comparison Study Group

blackairplane

OK I have a question of those who might have the "deluxe" version of Victorian Romantic deck. I have heard that there is gold on it. Is this foil stamping? Where on the deck is the stamping? Just curious.
What is your favorite card in the VR deck? Mine is Queen of Swords. She is THE best Queen of Swords of all decks I think.
In Fantastic Menagerie I like the 8 of cups. I love the old bat in the background.

.traveller.

I don't have the limited edition, but I read that the gold is gold ink that is applied before the final lamination. Apparently, the effect is very subtle.

I too love FMT's 8 of cups, that old bat and the owl are hilarious. I'm not sure what my favorite card is though. Have to think on it.

Little Baron

I have both sets, but to be honest, I don't feel as if there is much difference between them. The Gold is nice, but not so drastic that it gives the deck much difference.

LB

blackairplane

I am interested in printing production so I just wondered if the gold was foil or ink. Shall someone pick some cards from these decks to discuss?

baba-prague

blackairplane said:
I am interested in printing production so I just wondered if the gold was foil or ink. Shall someone pick some cards from these decks to discuss?

The Gold is ink - laid on under the varnish of course. It's very subtle in ordinary light but can be quite startling when it catches either the sunlight or something like electric light or candlelight.

On the Gold Baroque Bohemian Cats we've used considerably more gold ink - as it's baroque I think the cards can get away with it. But we felt on the VR the effect shouldn't verge on the glitzy - it needed to feel in keeping with one or two Victorian prints we have which have overlaid gold ink - which tended not to be quite restrained and only semi shiny.

blackairplane

Sounds lovely. I understand fully what you are speaking of. Computers though- are another story. I am not even sure what a "thread" is so I have to fuss around with this site to figure out how to use it. I find the logic behind them difficult. I shall join in with one of the discussions later tonight. Thanks everyone.

Jewel

OK OK OK the study nerd is here ~giggles~. LB I would love to participate in this study group. I have just jumped into the VR study group. The decks I currently have are the BBC, the Fairytale, and the VR. As Faunabay noted she is borrowing my FM, but should be sending it back soon, and I have a trade going on for the Prague, but I think it will be a while before that one arrives. Soon, perhaps even before the Prague, I should have the golden BBC as well, and I have books for all of them. I am a study nerd, so had to have the books *LOL*.

I will pull out my 9's for the BBC, VR, and Fairytale and jump in. I really did not fully explore the FM, just went through the cards and read the book, and I am really hesitant about how I will feel about the Prague, so this study group will be of great benefit to me. Plus I really want to dedicate serious time to all of my MR decks and this is the perfect opportunity.

Thanks for coming up with this idea.

P.S. Looks like I will be needing the FM back soon *LOL*

Little Baron

Hi Jewel

Glad to see you over here.

I am not abandoning this group, but I will be a bit of a quieter member for a bit, since I am starting the one deck wonder experiment.

But I will read and comment.

LB

Jewel

LittleBuddha said:
I am not abandoning this group, but I will be a bit of a quieter member for a bit, since I am starting the one deck wonder experiment.
I had a suspicion that was going to happen. And I thought you were the leader here! ~giggles~.

I'll wait until my FM comes back home (it is currently visiting Faunabay) and then I will get try to get active here. I was really hoping to get some deep perspective from you on both the FM and Prague.