Joseph Crane Books

sapienza

I recently obtained a copy of 'A Practical Guide to Traditional Astrology' which I am really enjoying and finding most helpful. I am particularly interested in the Hellenistic period. I notice that he also has a book called 'Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy' which is more recent. Just wondering if anyone has read the second book? Does it contain additional information to the first book or is is more of an updated version? I'm on the verge of ordering it but thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts first.

Many thanks :)

Minderwiz

Oops, missed this one

Yes I've got the book. It's a bit of a curates egg - excellent in parts, rather muddled in other areas. I know some who don't rate it too highly - for me, on balance it was worth it, and I've used it as one of the sources for the Traditional Astrology thread. However there are some places where it is not as good as it should have been. I think because it tries to do to much and the editing could have been better.

However there aren't that many books about on the subject and to progress beyond Crane, you will need to turn your attention to some of the translations. If you do then don't start with (or even finish with) Ptolemy, We now know that he wasn't a practicing Astrologer and indeed, he probably did to Classical Astrology what Alan Leo did to modern Astrology but probably without Leo's good reason for doing it.