Tarot de Marseille - Marteau Grimaud, informations for collectors

thinbuddha

Igor said:
Thinbuddah, could you also tell us in which country did you find this deck ?[

I don't remember for sure. I got it off of ebay, and I think it may have been a US seller, but I'm not certain about that.

I have actually sold this deck because I managed to find another copy in slightly better condition. I can say for certain that the copy I have now came from a seller in the US.

victoria.star

Although I am not well-versed in these decks, I have been reading this thread and am interested in the Grimaud decks.
I have one, and I think it has the black backs with the 'interesting' flowers...

I was wondering, and please excuse me for being such a novice and also accept my apologies if this is the wrong place for such a question...where does one find, even if just to gawk at and longingly, wistfully wish for, the more collectible types?

The earlier ones, while probably out of my price range, with the off-white card stock are truly beautiful!

Thank you for any help and direction. :)

Igor

Hello Coredil, Thinbuddah and all of you ;)

coredil said:
Of course the "legend" says it exists a Grimaud-Marteau edition of the deck with the Lys on the 4 of coins and the coins on the Bateleur table instead of the dice.

If by "coins" you mean the two red "coins" (I never knew if they are balls, coins or anyting else), I have this deck !
I am pretty sure that it is Marteau’s first edition. Kenji has also one of this deck under the name Deck 16, shown here :
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57491&page=8&pp=10
They are exactly the same as the Dussere, which is know to be the first edition kept at the Bilbiothèque nationale, Paris. In fact, it is the one that came from Marteau’s donation in 1963.

coredil said:
I saw in the museum of Issy les Moulineaux a copy of the deck with the lys on the 4 of coins but there were dice on the Bateleur ;)
Yes, I heard about this one. I think that it had been made with (at least) two different decks.
Or it may be a 2nd edition, where Marteau changed only the red-balls (Ooops : "coins") for dices. Then he could have changed the lys for a tulip on a later edition (but personnally, I don’t really believe this theory).

coredil said:
to my knowledge, Peter Endebrok's site is the most valuable site about Tax Stamps on cards. You can have a look there:
http://www.endebrock.de/pers-home-de.html

Thank you for this great ressource !
It seems to confirm what I thought, because Pete says : "Packs were stamped in the country of use, not in the country of production: the pack may have been printed in a different country than the stamp indicates." ( http://www.endebrock.de/pc-taxes.html ).

thinbuddha said:
I don't remember for sure. I got it off of ebay, and I think it may have been a US seller, but I'm not certain about that.
I have actually sold this deck because I managed to find another copy in slightly better condition. I can say for certain that the copy I have now came from a seller in the US.
Thank you for these informations, it seems to confirms also what I thought…

According to this, the deck 21 could be a made from 1930 to 1945, but didn’t had the french tax stamp just because it was made to be sold outside France. so the deck 21 could be a very early one, maybe a 2nd or 3rd edition…

Let me know if this sounds true to you…

Best regards.

Igor

Hello Victoria and welcome here ;)

victoria.star said:
where does one find, even if just to gawk at and longingly, wistfully wish for, the more collectible types?

If I understand well (excuse me, but I am french and not very fluent in english so I am not always sure to get exactly the message), you are searching for an old Marteau’s deck.
You can find old decks where you can generally find ancient things (ebay, flea markets, antique shops, etc.). It takes some time to find a nice deck and a long time to have a nice collection. But with time and passion, everything is possible.

Best regards, and good luck !

thinbuddha

Igor said:
According to this, the deck 21 could be a made from 1930 to 1945, but didn’t had the french tax stamp just because it was made to be sold outside France. so the deck 21 could be a very early one, maybe a 2nd or 3rd edition…

Let me know if this sounds true to you…

I think that this could be true. The box feels like something that may have been made in the 30's or 40's. I probably should have sold it for more than $120 (but since I got one in slightly better condition for around $70, I don't feel too bad).

arcano

Bonne journée, Igor
Hi, thinbuddha

Décret du 12 avril 1890
Article 2. - Les jeux tant au portrait français qu'au portrait étranger envoyés à l'exportation ne devront pas porter le timbre institué par le présent décret.

Deck 21
Deck, is undoubtedly post 1944, liberated France.
In 1940, it is deleted: Décret du 12 avril 1890. Nazi Occupation.
No new editions.
Repeated misma impression, it is likely (193.? -1948/1950).
New edition, 1948 or 1949 or 1950. Without the Flor de Lis. Symbol of the Bourbons That Is Associated with the Nazis (symbols). See Scouts (symbols),(Flor de lis on swastika).
View Spanish Republicans.

Original box is green. (1930 - 1930)

Good luck.
Henry

victoria.star

Igor said:
Hello Victoria and welcome here ;)

If I understand well (excuse me, but I am french and not very fluent in english so I am not always sure to get exactly the message), you are searching for an old Marteau’s deck.
You can find old decks where you can generally find ancient things (ebay, flea markets, antique shops, etc.). It takes some time to find a nice deck and a long time to have a nice collection. But with time and passion, everything is possible.

Best regards, and good luck !

Thank you Igor. :)

thinbuddha

arcano said:
Deck 21
Deck, is undoubtedly post 1944, liberated France

Original box is green. (1930 - 1930)

Look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lasorille/

The box of the original is seemingly identical to the deck 21 box. This supports the theory that deck 21 is from the 1930's, and not post 1944.

Igor

Hello to you all,

arcano said:
Do not try to impose my idea. and I apologize if I offend you with this.
Dont’ worry, there’s no problem, we are here to discuss and share ideas. You are welcome here ;)

thinbuddha said:
The box of the original is seemingly identical to the deck 21 box. This supports the theory that deck 21 is from the 1930's, and not post 1944.
I agree. I have checked with the french DECRET which is clear on that point (as you wrote arcano, but maybe your english translator made a mistake and had inverted the meaning), : "Les jeux tant au portrait français qu'au portrait étranger envoyés à l'exportation ne devront pas porter le timbre institué par le présent décret.", which means that decks that are to be sold outside France don’t need the tax stamp.

So it is possible that a deck made in France, from 1890 to 1944, doesn’t have the tax stamp, in the case it is sold outside France. So (remember that the deck 21 has a "MADE IN FRANCE" stamp), the deck 21 has probably been sold outside France during the 30's or beginning 40's.

Igor.