Tarot and Psychology

LeahG

Melvis said:

A favorite part of the book is an example he gives about using tarot in a unconventional manner with a patient of his that was dying of AIDS. He had the . A completely non-traditional way to use tarot, and an incredibly moving story.

:TSTRE

Yes, just read that part yesterday, interesting way of using the cards - was a moving story - to think using the tarot found the man some peace before he died actually made me smile - the book has inspired me even more to keep going on this path of psychology and a little tarot to help :)

Khatruman

Ahhh, another book to mark on my Amazon wish list... wonderful responses here. Actually another way of presenting the tarot to my folklore students...

Peace!

LeahG

jmd said:
The TS Bookshop is a great stress-relief - except when the stress is caused by spending!

I think it was catboxer who mentioned this book a couple of times in earlier threads. Unfortunately, I do not have Rosengarten's book (yet), though I do have Gad's Tarot and Individuation and Newman's The Tarot: a myth of male initiation, both of which are very psychologically oriented.

Please keep us informed as to how you find this book - especially in relation to your studies!

Well I said I would giv you an update of this book - so finally after finding the time to read most of it, I can safely say that it is most informative and helps to bring the gap of psychology and tarot together. I think it presents tarot as a form of therapy very well - the spectrums of possibily are great and ahve given me some food for thought. For those with an interest in Psychology - counselling etc I recommend having a read!!

Now as I mentioned I have started a Grap Dip in Psychology - Psychology is viewed by mainstream as a science in that it has theories, methods of analysis and must have results that are "public' - that is data that is measurable. BUT there are theories such as Jungs that the Psychology admits have some basis towards Personality.

Initally I feared that I wouldn't fit into the Psychology because of my ideas of the tarot etc - but have found this not to be the case. My Lecturer on Personality stated that Jung is his favourite out of those who put forward theories of Personality - that the unconscious cannot be denied as being a part of the mind that is powerful....Seems I might be able to have some influence afterall - can't wait now to be able to start an honours and doctorate and complete some research - will let you all know when I get there - have to fit tarot somehow in there.

Maybe my hypothesis can be about what personality types are drawn to tarot and alike? To those who may be starting research - don't steal my idea!!
I will come and find you ;)

jmd

Kitty, I use to give the MBTI to students in my various past Tarot courses, and collected over 200 results. Interestingly, only one came out as an ST: the majority were N, and a reasonably large minority SF (by the way, the single person which ever came out ST was an ex-army officer who had become a spiritualist minister - I won't say more, as I don't want to identify the person).

A similar result was also found, I am lead to believe, for the Chiron Centre's astrology second year course.

I also tried to see if there were any statistically significant correlations between the person's Sun or Moon or Mercury signs and the MBTI, but found none (mind you, I did not have sufficient data to do this properly).

Still - the whole area is a fascinating one.

Moongold

Poll on MBTI?

Would it be worth doing a poll on Aeclectic members who had done the MBTI to see what the predominent types are?

There are some other MBTI related on-line tests that people could do Here's one: http://www.advisorteam.com/user/ktsintro1.asp

Perhaps it would be interesting to ask people to do this and see what the results are?

Kitty, you probably don't have time to do this but it could be an interesting precursor to your eventual research!

Best wishes with your studies,

Moongold

Macavity

I think that would be interesting. Anyone know any good "test" sites for the MBTI? I tried e.g. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm and (pretty much as expected!) came back as ISTJ - A (known!) unlikely Taroist? }) Some years ago I became fond of "categorising" and read quite a lot on the Enneagram ideas of e.g. Don Richard Riso et al. I gave up when I felt I was becomming far too self-analytical and (probably!) rather judgemental of others? ;) Fascinating nevertheless...

Macavity

LeahG

jmd said:
Kitty, I use to give the MBTI to students in my various past Tarot courses, and collected over 200 results. Interestingly, only one came out as an ST: the majority were N, and a reasonably large minority SF (by the way, the single person which ever came out ST was an ex-army officer who had become a spiritualist minister - I won't say more, as I don't want to identify the person).

A similar result was also found, I am lead to believe, for the Chiron Centre's astrology second year course.

I also tried to see if there were any statistically significant correlations between the person's Sun or Moon or Mercury signs and the MBTI, but found none (mind you, I did not have sufficient data to do this properly).

Still - the whole area is a fascinating one.

Ah jmd - maybe one day we can get together a research project!! Your results sound interesting - didn't know you ran tarot classes.

LeahG

Re: Poll on MBTI?

Moongold said:
Would it be worth doing a poll on Aeclectic members who had done the MBTI to see what the predominent types are?

There are some other MBTI related on-line tests that people could do Here's one: http://www.advisorteam.com/user/ktsintro1.asp

Perhaps it would be interesting to ask people to do this and see what the results are?

Kitty, you probably don't have time to do this but it could be an interesting precursor to your eventual research!

Best wishes with your studies,

Moongold

Ah I would love to - but yes time is the problem - will investigate setting up a poll or something like that soon - will be interesting for everyone.

Thanks for your best wishes - I'm going to need it - lots of hard work ahead - but I love it - first lecture on personality yesterday and LOVED it!!

LeahG

Macavity said:
I think that would be interesting. Anyone know any good "test" sites for the MBTI? I tried e.g. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm and (pretty much as expected!) came back as ISTJ - A (known!) unlikely Taroist? }) Some years ago I became fond of "categorising" and read quite a lot on the Enneagram ideas of e.g. Don Richard Riso et al. I gave up when I felt I was becomming far too self-analytical and (probably!) rather judgemental of others? ;) Fascinating nevertheless...

Macavity

thanks macavity - I came out as INFJ

Khatruman

Ahhh, had never heard of the MBTI until Macavity provided that link and I took the test. I came out as INFJ, hmmm, in league with Ghandi and Eleanor Roosevelt... good company.

Ohh, and looking at this: "INFJs readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect. Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers." Hmmm, perhaps I could make a decent tarotist!!!

Peace!