"Hedgewytch" cartomancy practice

junheng

K of Clubs - Close to Hearts

Dear People. Any thoughts on this?

The Hedgewytch's site gives an interpretation for this as 'the seeker's grandfather.'

I just wondered why this association. Ok, I don't think the interpretation clashes ... but 'grandfather' isn't what I would jump to. I don't generally think of granddads being especially practical or active ... but my granddad passed away when I was young, so maybe that's just me?

A penny for your thoughts! :)

David

inertia

Dear David,
court carts have always been a challenge for cartomancers, either in playing cards, tarot or any other oracle deck. However, I've managed through years of experimenting to decipher most of their "attributes and qualities". So here is what I've got. (I won't use physical descriptions as they are already known).

-Hearts usually refer to family. Father, mother, children or very beloved people like friends. They are also "female cards".
-Clubs refer to practical and business-oriented people. They are male cards.
-Diamonds refer to immature and energetic individuals. Sometimes it shows a "lover" but it's not something serious (e.g. one night stand). It also shows an individual we haven't met so far. Someone yet to come in our lives.
-Spades..that's the hardest part. Usually refer to people "with a loss". That's not very informative though. So, let's break it down. They are our ex-boy/girlfriends, the third person who could serioulsly damage a marriage or a solid relationship. Sometimes, it refers to people that have passed away and of course, widows or depressed individuals. And people that are old.

Military and generally people in uniform have appeared in my spreads both as a club and a spade.

Regarding the above, a grandfather would be K clubs(male card-patriarch) accompanied by a heart(family) or even K spades (probably dead or very old) with a heart. Same with the grandmother.

As for Jacks..here is a useful technique to identify their gender.
If the Jack looks towards a heart or a club, then, it's of the opposite sex to the querent.
If the Jack looks towards a spade or a diamond, it's of the same sex with the querent.

Hope you find my post somewhat helpful. :) Please, let me know what you think.

junheng

King of Clubs

Hi Inertia!

Thank you for your (very!) detailed reply.

I love what you wrote (see below), but, to be honest, I still don't see why K of clubs would be the grandfather than ... say ... the father of the family or an uncle.

I am only a beginner at this, but I can see that you have much experience! You seem to be digging very deep into these cards!

Something that occurred to me is that the suits *merge*. When I started on Hedgewytch's card reading I kept all the suits very separate in my mind. But recently I've started to see how intellect is not the preserve of diamonds only, but hearts and clubs have their own type of intellectual 'energy' as well.

I love your angle on diamonds, how it can show a lover (but not serious) and someone on the horizon - this makes wonderful sense to me - diamonds is the dawning of things (the spring), the onset, the first phase.

I find it interesting that you find clubs as well as spades in uniformed people. This works for me as uniformed people are, generally, very practical - military protocols etc.

Hearts as essentially 'feminine' (with a small f, ie yin) and clubs as esentially 'masculine' (with a small m, ie yang) of course makes sense. Am I right that you would find diamonds and spades as non-specific re gender?

I can't see the reasoning behind your thoughts on the Jacks. If you could ellucidate on that I would be grateful. :)

Many thanks. Peace :)

David

inertia

Thank you for your kind words! I will to try to explain as much as I can the whole thing about court cards and (just between you and me *whispering* I'm not that experienced!) haha
So, why grandfather and not a father? It sure can indicate both! BUT, traditionally and most commonly the father is the K of Hearts and the Grandpa is the K of clubs or K of spades. Why? I have no idea! Here is a thought. Heart=blood (blood relations-father,son) and Clubs=patriarch, the eldest (of them all). It could make sense.. but to my experience court cards are the most "flexible" cards. One Queen could relate to more than one woman in the querent's life.

Playing cards are MY LOVE. I could never quit reading with them. I have come across a lot of "strange/weird" spreads when a completely irrelevant Jack or King popped up out of no where.. and I was like "who are you? what do you want? get out of my air, you are killing me!" :p Still, it's really hard to identify properly a court as a specific individual. A relative, a friend, a foe, a lover, a co-worker, a doctor/lawyer..and then physical descriptions.. brown hair, green eyes, tall, young, above thirty.. hmm that sounds like a chaos!

There are techniques about these things but it's all about what you want to do with your deck and HOW you want to use it. For example, when I choose the querent I always pick the King of clubs (if it's a man) and the Queen of Hearts (if it's a woman) despite their physical attributes. (And yes, you guessed right, I don't use Hedgewytch's system, but it's a great method I must admit!) :)

annika334

Bringing back this old thread to ask if anyone has any input on the elemental associations:

:diamond: is fire because the stones seem to radiate their own light. This glows.
:heart: is water because blood is like water. This flows.
:spade: is earth because, lets face it- this is a type of shovel, and yes, a weapon too- I dig it.
:club: is...... air??? This I don't get. It's bugging me. Why would :club: be air (other than being the only element left). Any ideas?

If you don't have the answer, would you like to revive the reading exercise portion of this thread?

I know, my idea isn't so clever.... but, because I thought a lot about it and I've come to the idea that clubs are air because they look like flowers and trees. And, as we know, flowers and trees grow upwards.

thinbuddha

Not bad. Also, it's occurred to me that plants (herbs especially) are very aromatic.

ghost271

Shall we continue this thread ? Ive been reading about the Hedgewitchery method this last week and am very keen to practice.

dilgan

Hedgewytch cartomancy practice

I am a new member of this forum but have been reading playing cards forever.
After all this time I came across the Hedgewythch cartomancy and very excited
with the incredible amount of knowledge acquired from these writings.

Does anyone have the missing diagrams For the Witch of Exceptional Memory -
the Coven spread - page 20, 21, 24 and the Wheel spread page 28?

Also, there are two more spreads that I don't have the Temple of Fortune and the Great Throw. Does anyone have access to these spreads and diagrams? It would be
greatly appreciated if you would share this here.

tarot heart

I am a new member of this forum but have been reading playing cards forever.
After all this time I came across the Hedgewythch cartomancy and very excited
with the incredible amount of knowledge acquired from these writings.

Does anyone have the missing diagrams For the Witch of Exceptional Memory -
the Coven spread - page 20, 21, 24 and the Wheel spread page 28?

Also, there are two more spreads that I don't have the Temple of Fortune and the Great Throw. Does anyone have access to these spreads and diagrams? It would be
greatly appreciated if you would share this here.

Hi,

A while back Kalliope gave this site with pictures of the 3 coven spread and the wheel, here it is:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/kalliope/DivinationPics/Cartomancy/

you will need to use the password of playingcards - no spaces, no caps

If you signed up for photobucket you can download the pictures, just look for the options button and click on it. As for Temple of Fortune and the Great Throw, I don't think Hedgewytch ever got to those but I could be wrong about that. Hope that's somewhat helpful! Good luck :)

dilgan

hedgewitch cartomancy

Thank you for labelling these examples. Have you ever seen a book
by Dawn Jackson that was for sale on this? Is there an ongoing study group
using her spreads and interpretations?