Fallen Angel Oracle

Le Fanu

brightcrazystar said:
I bought it, and I am well versed in the fallen angels it details.
So it's available then?

brightcrazystar

I just bought it at Barnes and Noble today in Paramus, New Jersey.

(Not surprised it is easy to find demons in new jersey, though.)

HighPriestess

Le Fanu said:
So it's available then?

I just checked Amazon.com. It says it won't be available until March.
I'm wondering if anyone buying it would be kind enough to post a couple scans when they get it? I'd like to see more than just tiny images.

The deck has an interesting premise, but the art looks iffy...

brightcrazystar

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fa...9781907563300/?itm=1&USRI=fallen+angel+oracle

bn.com says it ships in 24 hours,
I didn't open it yet, but it was on the shelf and I picked it up.
A find in store option showed it in five local barnes and noble
stores near here,so I guess it is being distributed already.

I am looking for a full list of the 72 fallen to see if it is the list of from the manuscript Theurgia Goetia, Johan Weir's Pseudo-Marchia Daemonium list that seems to have inspired that one, or Reginald Scot's from The Discourie of Witchcraft, which was banned by King James. Worst case scenario, it is Dr. Rudd's from the 1800's. Personally, I hope it is Weir's as he has that Trithemius, Agrippa lineage going for him. Besides, it is the oldest. If not that basis, if the deck is based on Mathers' Goetia translation financed by Crowley would also be cool.

brightcrazystar

First impressions and pleasant suprises.

I opened this, and it is lovely.

It tells the story of Johannes Wier, and all but three of the spirits are from his seminal work from 1563. YAY! Someone who actually did some historical research. The other three are from Reginal Scot, who wrote the second best book on the subject, in the 1600's. In short, it is exactly the same set of fallen angels I use and shows some serious work on the part of the researchers. He also attributes them to solid elemental and planetary ideals, and gives them keywords that are awesome and could easily tie they into being a synthesis of energies of the Major Arcanum, instead of a one to one relationship with a standard Tarot Deck. Their Zodiacal Associations are not mentioned here, but are well displayed in other decks.

He introduces Dr. Wier well, and explains how his continual legacy as a Dr continues to help in his native Netherlands. He does his utmost to respect this often unknown link to the pccult heritage of humanity, and to redeem his work. The theme of the Pseudomarchia Daemonium is that there are angels to earth, by pride, curiousity, or impudence. It is their task to help and present themselves to the Magician to be considered eligible for redemption. Only in using these beings irresponsibly or with unchecked ambition or malice does one invoke their dark nature as they invoke their own. The goal is uplifting them, by letting them once again serve the light. It is a fantastic deck, and may be a valiant effort to do that.

He makes this work a legacy of a kind, gentle physician who studied with the Greatly Honored Agrippa, instead of some depraved anti-christian rhetorical lashing out. He doesn't rely on Christian dogma, or any Religion for that matter. He instroduces the Hexagram and the Pentagram as keys to this Notary Art, which is refreshing and traditional at the same time. His work tends to tone down the literary inspired cautionary tone of the Theurgia Goetia, which is clearly an adoption of Wier's work set to the tune of 1001 Arabian Knights as a way to tap into the Mystique of the Ottomon Empire.

Furthermore, my first glances at the book (haven't touched the deck yet, but book includes full color illustrations of all cards and excellent guidance for use of the cards. The images are largely driven by the atmosphere of the keyword, and the traditional talismantic image of the spirit. I personally love the artwork of the deck, which is surreal interlayed photorealistic images. I cant speak to the quality of the cards yet, but I can't imagine them being any less solid than the book, the integrity of the research, and this is highly recommended.

I will write a full review in Behutet, a philadephia based journal of my O.T.O. community, which will be released after I make a more thorough study of the cards, and do some test runs. If no one objects, I will post it here.

WyrdRaven

Thank you, brightcrazystar! This deck sounds fascinating and I am looking forward to your review. I can hardly wait to get my paws on one of these decks!

Libra8ca

Just received my deck and first impressions: I really like it! :thumbsup:
I know nothing about Fallen Angels but for some reason this deck was calling out to me and since it was only $15 at amazon I ordered it.

The cards have a nice gloss and are quite large (8 x 13 cm). They are photo-collages with some really nice crosses and buildings. The colors are autumn colors (browns, rust, dark blue and purple, grey and lime) -just in time for spring :p. The colors are not too bright, they are not as bright as the picture in the catalogue that was linked shows. There is a bit of mistiness to the images. In fact, the style reminds me very much of the Bohemian Gothic deck :bugeyed: There are no gory or obscene cards.

The title is printed across the middle (!) half of the image i.e. "Marbas - 3- discovery". In fact this is one of the only things I don't like and could have been done better; i.e. they should have put the title at the bottom of the card. I don't find it too distracting but it's a little weird. There is a keyword on each card and there are no borders.

I did a one card draw and got quite an interesting and insightful result. The companion book has short and concise descriptions and appears to be well written but I have to admit that I know nothing about fallen angels. The deck comes in a nice box.

I think this will be a must-have for anyone who likes darker decks. Should be great for the fall / Halloween.

ETA: the title image is on the back of the cards. They are not reversible.

cardlady22

I have a question regarding the numbering. Does it have any significance, or is it in alphabetical order like other oracles?

brightcrazystar

The numbers 1-68 was the order they were listed by Reginald Scot, and their typical order in each of the typical grimoires. It is not their "common sequence" in the Goetia.

The other three are from the Goetia, as Johan Wier only has 69 in his list, and this is 72. In 1904 Mathers translated the Goetia for Crowely, and this is consonant with that text, but the order is different.

And again, please don't fall for the superstitious judeo-christian hype, it was what people had to do in books like this so they didn't get burnt to death or lynched.

Libra8ca

Just wanted to add that some cards have the titles at the bottom, some have them at the top, a few have them in the middle but on one side (this I don't like but there are only a few like it) and then there are some cards that have the title a little above the bottom or below the top. Basically they are all over the place. Overall, I like the design.