Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards

Astraea

Hi Kahlie! You are so helpful. I think that MercyMe typed out both instruction cards, even though the last paragraph of the instructions refers to a second sheet -- but I could be mistaken about that. Probably with all the cards to the left, one would reverse the meanings (at least, that would be my intuitive take on how these cards work).

I know what you mean about subscribing to threads -- it can get very confusing, very fast, to try to keep up with all of them! I'll pm you if something pertinent to those instructions cards comes up.

Thank you again for your help with this!

MercyMe

Thank you SO much Kahlie! That was very helpful.

No, there weren't anymore cards of German instructions, so...I don't know what "the next card" means.

In any case, the "Queen of Hearts" or "King of Hearts" -- would that be the Sweetheart and the Lover? Or simply, as I suggested before, the "Maid" and the "Young Man?" Because these cards don't have suits nor kings nor queens. Seems like these instructions actually belong to another fortune telling deck?

The rest helps tremendously, though. THANK YOU again!

~Mercy

Astraea

MercyMe said:
In any case, the "Queen of Hearts" or "King of Hearts" -- would that be the Sweetheart and the Lover? Or simply, as I suggested before, the "Maid" and the "Young Man?" Because these cards don't have suits nor kings nor queens. Seems like these instructions actually belong to another fortune telling deck?
Mercy, maybe the instructions are generic and the same ones come with all the small Piatnik fortune-telling decks. Just off the top of my head, given what the instruction cards say, I think I'd follow your lead and use the Sweetheart and the Lover for men and women over a certain age, and the Maid and Young Man for folks under that age.

Kahlie

Hmm. I thought there would be more to translate, since it doesn't seem like this is everything.

How big are the cards? I wonder if you have to shuffle the Queen of Hearts, and King of Hearts from a normal Card pack into the Oracle Deck, and see where it turns up, and then read from that pile? I know some card game traditions or spreads that work like that.

Good luck. It really did say King and Queen of Hearts. (Herzen)

Kahlie

Astraea

Kahlie, the cards are smallish, 3-1/2 inches long by 2-1/4 inches wide -- smaller than the usual poker deck, but not by much. What you suggest about adding in the King and Queen of Hearts from another deck makes a great deal of sense. Thank you so much for your help and input!

MatPoint

I have found the following text in a website:
ART DECO FORTUNE TELLING CARDS

An expansion of the Viennese Biedermeier and "Gipsy" Cartomancy
sets to a full complement of 52 cards. The old standbys -- the
House, Judge, Sweetheart, Fox, Death, Merriment, Letter, and
Desire -- are still here, but they have been joined by added
images relating to 20th century social concerns (Treason, the
Foreign Woman, Pride). The art is vivid and poster-like, in the
colourful graphic style of the 1930s. Each unnumbered card is
identified at the bottom with its name in 6 languages: German,
English, French, Italian, Hungarian, and Croatian. Because the
pack fills its box tightly, no instruction booklet is included,
but the cards can be read using the booklets from the Gipsy or
Biedermeier card sets. This is a wonderful self-interpreting
cartomancy deck for professional card readers and for fans of
Art Deco poster-style graphics.

Does anybody have the Biedermeier or Gipsy booklet?

Thank you.

Little Hare

Oooooh i just love the look of these cards :D i'd love to get my mitts on a pair :D

Little Hare

i recieved this cute little deck along with the gypsy one yesterday, the decks are gorgeous but i really can't figure out how to read them yet, the fidelity card kept throwing itself at me....

MatPoint

I have just started a blog about these European Decks (Lenormand, Sybillas, Zigeuner, Art Deco, Il Vostro destino, etc...). I'll be sharing meanings, combinations, layouts and demo readings.

http://oracles.wordpress.com

You are most than welcome to visit the blog.

Seaqueen

Tips on Art Deco cards

MercyMe said:
I just got the Art Deco Fortune Telling Cards today and I really love them, but they did not come with instructions. I am unsure exactly how to use them, so I was wondering if anyone here has the deck or one similar that can help?

The cards have no numbers or suits, just pictures and names. What types of spreads would be useful, apart from the basic 3-card spread?

~Mercy
Hi,

I have the Art Deco deck and apply the meanings from the Gipsy Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten deck in which they are an extension of. If you aren't familiar with the Zigeuner deck, a good ideas is to start a journal or art deco diary & do a one card draw- record the first thing that comes to your mind about the card you are looking at. Write down only 2 or 3 things to start, at the end of the day or the next day jot down the major things that could apply to the card.

This is a great way to learn. The Art Deco deck will stimulate your intuitive capabilities. Any deck of cards after you get familiar with it will speak to you in the language that only you understand.

The celtic cross reading using this deck with an in-depth demonstration using the Art Deco Deck at http://seaqueen.wordpress.com/tag/gipsy-zigeuner-wahrsagekarten/

Another great little layout to try is using 4 cards.

PAST-----PRESENT----YOU (sweetheart or lover card)--FUTURE---SURPRISE

Here are some tips -

Thought card

The Art Deco image has a man sitting behind a desk/table in deep thought. Looks like he is reading a book, maybe studying, maybe reviewing a financial ledger. It’s hard to say. We clearly see a feather on the table as well. A man dressed in a modern suit and tie wouldn’t really be writing with a pen quill. The symbolism of a feather whether the artist wanted to relay that message at the time of the drawing or not is -trust, honor, strength, wisdom, to name a few. The quill suggests writing and learned pursuits.
He might be writing a list of things to do, people to invite or have writers block. Maybe he works for the newspaper or is an author. Maybe he is researching a situation.

Constancy card.
-dedicated, continuous, same, reliable, steadfast, for sure

Inconstance card.
-irregular, fickle, changing, fluctuating, not sure

Party card
-party can be a situation like going to an art gallery, music concert, anniversary celebration, birthday party ETC.

Death card
-there is an end to something. It can be the end of a relationship, a job, a dream, a plan, a goal etc. It can be the end of worry, also.
-within the ending is an opportunity for a new beginning