4 of Swords

poivre

My first thoughts on this card in a reading was a need for rest.
If you look at the 3 of Swords and then the 5 of Swords mabee I'm wrong.
Healing after heartache or preparing for an argument.

Going within or moving away from a situation to find inner peace or truth.

Now I see it as preparing, grounding or gathering energy to carry on.

Any input?
Thanks.

Little Baron

That was todays draw for me. In the RWS imagery, I see what you mean. Because I have been doing very little since I left university (the guy in the card is a pretty good representation lol), my parents have been annoyed that I spend most of my time horizontally and a lot of it, with the laptop dumped infront of me, talking with you guys here. The card today highlighted that maybe I was resting too much, so I got up and did all of the housework and things that need to be done. In that sense, the rest imagery, was telling me that even though I have needed it after an exausting four years of study, maybe I was taking it a little too far.

Yaboot

HudsonGray

It always seemed to me to be a time that's completely removed from any crisis. The guy 'sleeping' is made of stone in a crypt or graveyard, somewhere they're certainly not going to be disturbed. Yep, grounding time.

Little Baron

Just to add, the sequencing you describe makes sense too.

I had a bad time of it towards the end of university (the 3) and now, after a long rest and time to consider my future and what had happened, I am ready for the next battle (5) in my chosen industry.

Thanks for that Ros.

Yaboot

Fulgour

The colourful activity depicted in the stained glass window
starkly contrasts the reclining figure, but look at the hair...
taking a breather, or something like, faith without works?

I had the craziest dreams last night, so this looks good!

Aun

Yes, I agree with you guys in the sense that the 'intelectual rest' depicted in the card indeed suggests a calm on the surface, but such stability is only maintained by supression of feelings and impulses that reside in the background.

Just as a reminder, Crowley called this card 'truce', which is different from established peace (the conflicting 5 is next)

cartarum

yes..

this four is the archetype of something that occurs when you or another are gone, yet something happens around you when you are not there. slander, gossip, things like that. my best phrase for this card is "while you were away" it can show one commiting themselves to some sort of exile, mostly in the way that one may deliberately seek to let things happen around them. kaplan said its the desire for autonomy, letting things be automatic, which is a good example of this.
the reversed nature of the card only changes who is doing what.
you are the slanderer, or the slandered. not all slander though, but its the best way to put it. i dont see what this card has to do with truce. except in the way that there may be a temporary seize fire in an issue were there is alot of outside conflict. after all, you cant fight a battle if your not there. but truce is certainly not the best keyword one could use.
~A~

cartarum

yes..

this four is the archetype of something that occurs when you or another are gone, yet something happens around you when you are not there. slander, gossip, things like that. my best phrase for this card is "while you were away" it can show one commiting themselves to some sort of exile, mostly in the way that one may deliberately seek to let things happen around them. kaplan said its the desire for autonomy, letting things be automatic, which is a good example of this.
the reversed nature of the card only changes who is doing what.
you are the slanderer, or the slandered. not all slander though, but its the best way to put it. i dont see what this card has to do with truce. except in the way that there may be a temporary seize fire in an issue were there is alot of outside conflict. after all, you cant fight a battle if your not there. but truce is certainly not the best keyword one could use.
~A~

Fulgour

still wondering

In a previous thread, firemaiden pointed out the head
with a face in the middle of the card at the bottom of the
window moulding. Some thought perhaps it was a ram's head
(with reference to IV The Emperor) of maybe a bull or...?

My first impression was of a bat, but there's no wings,
and so I thought then maybe it was a fox. Still, because
we are inside a tomb (at least figuratively) it might be
more likely related to 'observation' or mourning.

The 78th Fool

I subscribe to the traditional interpretation of this card wholeheartedly. However, this card has an added dimension to me. A church is traditionally a place of refuge and this really does signify hiding away, almost taking cover from the storm in a safe and secure place where you can rest and regain your strength.

You see a similar theme in the 5 of Pentacles, but here, the beggars almost fail to realise that there is a place of safety and security very close to them.

Traditionally speaking, a place of worship provided sanctuary, asylum and neutrality. Honour dictated that a battle could not be taken beyond the doors of a church as it was sacred ground. To seek the refuge of the church therefore was the ultimate protection.

The swords in the image reflect this - three are hung up and retired on the wall, the fourth is laid to rest below the 'sleeping' figure.

Chris. xx