Yves Reynaud Decks - Which one do I choose?

elinne

Hi Friends!

After much deliberation I think I am finally ready to dive in and make my first TdM purchase. I have plenty of RWS decks, but want to expand my study and use of tarot into the world of TdM. I currently have slimmed my choices down to one of two below:

Tarot de Marseille de Francois Chosson 1736
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseille-francois-chosson/

Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseille-pierre-madenie/

I love the faces and attention to detail/coloring of the Madenie, however something about the super dark green and messy feel of the Chosson also appeals. I was planning on getting the Madenie, but when I happened into a local shop they had a copy just of the Chosson, and when I picked up the box I just got those good "feels".

So, I wanted to ask you folks here who might have encountered/worked with both in person: Which do you recommend? If you had to choose just one, which would it be? Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

~elinne

kalliope

I don't have the Madenié yet, but like you that was the one I was most interested in, and I still plan to buy it. (Although I do kind of hate the lug face of the guy in L'Amoureux!)

But I came across a copy of the Chosson being sold for a good price, so I took the opportunity and got it instead. And I have to say I really love it. The younger woman in the L'Amoureux card is giving a bit of a stink-eye to the other woman. The colors are more pleasing in person than I expected from the online scans, too. The Madenié may be "prettier," but the Chosson has great character. As everyone has said, the production quality is excellent. Yves has done a wonderful job.

I don't think you really can go wrong, so just go with the images that are most appealing on a gut level. But don't be surprised if you end up buying the other one later. :)

Here are a couple of photos I have of it. I sometimes find that photos of cards laid out in real life can help me get a feel for the deck in a way that scans can't.

Attachments

• Chosson 3 card.jpg
    Chosson 3 card.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 537
  • Chosson samples.jpg
    Chosson samples.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 641

Barleywine

It's the square corners that have been making me hesitate. I know that they're authentic, but I also know I'd have dog-earred corners if I used them very much. I suppose I could get a corner-rounder, but I'm not sure I'd risk that, all thing considered.

kalliope

It's the square corners that have been making me hesitate. I know that they're authentic, but I also know I'd have dog-earred corners if I used them very much. I suppose I could get a corner-rounder, but I'm not sure I'd risk that, all thing considered.

Yes, I find the sharp corners uncomfortable to use, even though they look great and are authentic. I recently bought a 2mm corner rounder and think I'm going to try it out for this deck.

Le Fanu rounded the corners on one of his three copies of the Madenié and he seems happy with it, right? So I think it must work fine with the cardstock.

garmonbozia

If I could only have one or the other, I would probably pick the Madenie. I love the ghosting.

Chrystella

I have the Pierre Madenié and I adore it. It's my favourite TdM. I don't have the Chosson so I can't compare. It looks beautiful as well and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I've also thought of rounding the corners of my Pierre Madenié, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Rose Lalonde

The Madenié is my favorite TdM, so my vote's obvious, but I don't have the Chosson. I got the impression from the Tarot of Marseilles Heritage site that the Chosson has an overall warmer peach or pink tone. The Madenié looks cooler by comparison and seems to emphasize blue more. I'm crazy about its expressions and careful lines.

As Chrystella said, you can't really go wrong with either.

(EDIT: Oh, and just a heads up, if you haven't seen it, that Yves says the Chosson is almost sold out.)

elinne

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions (and the card images as well!!). After much deliberation, I ended up deciding to get the Madenie (at least for now), and am really enjoying the images. I am also finding the process of studying the TdM to be a fun new adventure :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Freedom of choice

Bonjour Elinne and all,

Two three things to know:

Chosson is close to be sold out.

Madenié is next to be sold out.

By mid JUNE this year 2015 two additional decks will be avaluable via my website.
HERI 1718 and Claude BURDEL 1751. Watch out !!

http://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/index.

By end of this year 2015 I will publish two more decks: A facsimile and a surprise.

For 2016 I plan to publish one or two more facsimiles.

All will be Tarot of Marseille pattern (Type I or Type II).

So, you will have more choice possibilitys year after year.

Have a happy day and week end !

Cordially from Marseille City

France

Old €UROPE

delizt

great news, I'm looking forward to adding another wonderful edition to my collection!