A New Marseilles Person Intro...

Fulgour

like a passionate kiss

When I got my first Tarot de Marseille, I couldn't believe my
luck, an authentic 1760 Nicolas Conver (I shan't reveal which).
Love? I still think that my guardian angel dropped it on me!

lark

Hi TA
So nice to see you again.
I have the Thunder Bay Press edition and a Fournier.
I just figured out which way was up and put a little red dot on the top of each card so I won't get it mixed up again.
The Fournier has the roman numeral on the bottom of each card so you can tell reversals from that.
So I guess I have a Conver too!

I'm new to the Marseille decks to so I'm just looking and handling the cards and reading all the wonderful posts by others.
Congratulations on your new deck TA!
And have fun in your new adventure.

lark

Rusty Neon said:
If, later on, you're interested in getting a 20th century line-redrawing TdM, I suggest the Grimaud/Marteau Tarot de Marseille, the most faithful 20th century line-redrawing of the 1760 Conver pattern.
Hi Rusty
I am very interested in getting a Grimaud/Marteau but can't find a site in the US that has one in stock.
Are they available in Canada?

Rusty Neon

lark said:
Hi Rusty
I am very interested in getting a Grimaud/Marteau but can't find a site in the US that has one in stock.
Are they available in Canada?

Yes, try www.levalet.com in Montreal. Prices quoted in (cheaper-for-Americans) Canadian dollars. Their website isn't too user-friendly, so try their US/Canada 888 toll-free telephone number given at the website. They stock both the Grimaud Tarot de Marseille (make sure you get French titles, rather than French/English or English titles) and the Dusserre-published Paul Marteau Tarot de Marseille. I recommend the Dusserre over the Grimaud. The Marteau Dusserre has better colour hues than the Grimaud and is a photoreproduction of the 1930 Paul Marteau deck (rather than a late 20th century re-drawing of that 1930 deck) but note that the Marteau Duserre's photoreproduction is a touch blurry in some places [focus]. For the Marteau Dusserre, make sure that when you're on the phone they confirm that the side of the box says "Tarot de Marseille - Réédition du tarot de Paul Marteau - Avec Livret Explicatif". (The problem with the very recent Grimaud deck's colour hues is that the blue is so dark you can barely see the crustacean in the Moon card and that it's harder to tell yellow from flesh colours.) Despite what their website says, they do have a French-title Grimaud. According to the website, the price for the Dusserre Marteau and the Grimaud is the same ($24.95 CAN plus Canadian and Quebec sales taxes and shipping). $24.95 CAN is about $19 U.S.

lark

Thank you Rusty. :)

Fulgour

TemperanceAngel said:
But seriously, let me play with my new deck for awhile.
Did you notice yet how on La Lune the antennae of the crayfish (freshwater!)
look like a compass? The old astrologers never left home without 'em...
Tycho Brahe charted the known universe with little more than that and spunk.

Jewel-ry

Enjoy your deck TA!

Just take your time with it. I tend to go off and 'play' with other decks from time to time, but always come back to the Marseilles decks. I love all of mine, for different reasons.

Enjoy!

~

Diana

TemperanceAngel said:
Does this mean I am a grown up Tarot person now? :joke:

You won't know that unless you had measured yourself BEFORE receiving the Conver, and AFTER receiving it.

I have done readings with that deck I sent you. May I request that you pay special attention to the Knights. They talk. They know how to speak English too, but it's a bit of an old-fashioned English.

Rusty Neon

Jewel-ry said:
Just take your time with it. I tend to go off and 'play' with other decks from time to time, but always come back to the Marseilles decks. I love all of mine, for different reasons.

That's true! One can't have just one Marseilles deck.

TemperanceAngel

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for your wonderful links and posts I really appreciate it :D

Talking Knights eh?

*TA goes off to gather ye old Knights to see what they have to say....*