How many decks belong to the French tradition?

Frater Benedict

Falconnier, Ibis, Eclectic, Sphinx, Tarot of the ages, De Lasenic, Balbi, El gran tarot esoterico ...

Oh! Thank you so very, very much. I must check them out, all of them!

Philippe

I withdraw the Sphinx. The egyptian tarot by Alasia is what I meant.

The Happy Squirrel

I am not so sure of that. My question does not regard the early development of Tarot in the 15th-17th centuries, but the intentional Continental 'occultification' of Tarot in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Let me assure you, that I don't believe that Italian artists of the 15th century adhered to ideas synthesised* and emerging in 19th century France. These French ideas may be useful for some persons regardless of when they emerged. Oranges and apples ought to be kept in their own boxes. Some old things are useful. Some useful things are old. But that doesn't mean that every useful thing is old.

* I use the word 'synthesised', since some bricks of the French system-building is of course older: The flagrant Neo-Platonism, for instance. Kabbalah was slightly misinterpreted, but that happened on both sides the Channel, and was not an exclusively French vice. The concept of an 'Abyss' is unknown in original Jewish kabbalah, for instance, and that idea was introduced by Britons.

I am following this thread with interest ...

Curiouser and curiouser...

Frater Benedict

I withdraw the Sphinx. The egyptian tarot by Alasia is what I meant.

Another Egyptian style one? That makes sense. The style aforementioned was popular at the time Wirth's and Papus' ideas flourished most intensely. But I seem to observe a resurgence of interest in them in our time. I like Wirth and Knapp-Hall because they are decidedly NOT quasi-Egyptian, but I understand the appeal the quasi-Egyptian style had at the time.

Edit:

I have now checked how it look: derived from Falconnier and Wegener (1896), just as I thought.

blue_fusion

Dame Fortune's Wheel?

A comprehensive list of characteristics would certainly help in identifying more of these decks (and feeding my curiosity regarding the tradition haha).

i too will be following this thread in earnest.

Frater Benedict

Dame Fortune's Wheel?

A comprehensive list of characteristics would certainly help in identifying more of these decks (and feeding my curiosity regarding the tradition haha).

i too will be following this thread in earnest.

No. Dame Fortunes Wheel is a very beautiful tarot, generally patterned after 15th and 16th century Italian decks and French decks from the 17th and 18th century – all of them from a time BEFORE the occult revival in France.

I don't know if there are more characteristics than the ones I have already mentioned: The crocodile with the Fool, the dark and red pillars with the Popess, the moon, sun and stars with the Empress, the cubic stone with the Emperor, the sun symbol with Temperance. The Devil is often more Baphomet-shaped (signifying an aspect of the World Soul) than outright evil in decks within this tradition. It is hard to generalise about The World, since it is depicted in seveal different ways within the French occult tradition. The Hebrew letters are an easily spotted sign: If Magician is Aleph, the deck is probably influenced by Levi and Christian. The presence of geometrical symbols, with or without Sanskrit letters and symbols invented by Saint-Yves d'Alveydre, is also a giveway.

Not all of them need to be present. Wirth didn't use Sanskrit letters or d'Alveydre's symbols, for instance.

Philippe

Some more decks :

-modeled on Etteilla the funny tarocco indovino
-the Loring medieval tarot, a Wirth-clone that may be hard to find
-The tarot atlante based on François Brousse's books. Brousse used the titles given by Christian to the trumps and added 2 new cards : l'ascensionnée and le vainqueur du serpent

Frater Benedict

Thank you, both of you!

DavidMcCann

Dame Fortune's Wheel is definitely in the French tradition. Huson used a variety of early images for the trumps, but the illustrated minors are all based on Etteilla meanings, not Golden Dawn ones. The only other tarot to have illustrated minors of that sort is Tavaglione's Tarocchi delle Stelle.