The Wild Unknown Tarot

Cocobird55

I've been using this deck quite a bit, and it's wonderful. It keeps growing on me, too.

My book came yesterday -- I couldn't resist. I like it very much -- I have compared the cards to the meanings in the book, and I find myself getting new ideas.

I agree that the book isn't necessary to read the deck.

bonebeach

I didn't want to like this deck--I mean, you can buy it at UO. I felt it was just so trendy...

But after a few months of waffling, I caved. I love, LOVE the art. I don't really consider it sparse, but I do consider it stark and--in the use of color--minimalist. Surprisingly, I find it very easy to read with. It's one of my most unambiguous, straight to the point decks. The one I have seems to have very good quality cardstock. I seem to have a preference for decks with few or zero human figures, but so many animal decks strike me as cheesy and way too "cute." The Wild Unknown feels...well, wild, and more honestly like an animal deck.

Also, does anyone else feel like the ten of swords is way more brutal than the Rider-Waite version? Hah. I consider myself a pretty casually creepy person, but I'm glad that I don't often pull the swords from this deck in readings for myself.

I also bought the app and the Strength card is the lock screen on my phone, which may be a bit much...

MandMaud

I didn't want to like this deck--I mean, you can buy it at UO. I felt it was just so trendy...

But after a few months of waffling, I caved. I love, LOVE the art. I don't really consider it sparse, but I do consider it stark and--in the use of color--minimalist. Surprisingly, I find it very easy to read with. It's one of my most unambiguous, straight to the point decks. The one I have seems to have very good quality cardstock. I seem to have a preference for decks with few or zero human figures, but so many animal decks strike me as cheesy and way too "cute." The Wild Unknown feels...well, wild, and more honestly like an animal deck.

Also, does anyone else feel like the ten of swords is way more brutal than the Rider-Waite version? Hah. I consider myself a pretty casually creepy person, but I'm glad that I don't often pull the swords from this deck in readings for myself.

I also bought the app and the Strength card is the lock screen on my phone, which may be a bit much...

I find it easy and unambiguous too. :)

A lot of people have trouble with the 10 of Swords! I know of someone who loved the deck but gave (or sold?) it because of this one card. Personally I'm ok with it, but the ones with worms and eyeballs are more of a problem for me.

Pixna

A lot of people have trouble with the 10 of Swords! I know of someone who loved the deck but gave (or sold?) it because of this one card. Personally I'm ok with it, but the ones with worms and eyeballs are more of a problem for me.

I don't like looking at the card (so creepy), but for me, it speaks volumes and the meaning comes through so loud and clear. I think the so-called negative cards should be filled with strong images of the the energy they represent, the WU did a fabulous job with that.

MandMaud

What she said. :arrow:
I don't like looking at the card (so creepy), but for me, it speaks volumes and the meaning comes through so loud and clear. I think the so-called negative cards should be filled with strong images of the the energy they represent, the WU did a fabulous job with that.
Absolutely; intensity should look like intensity.

This deck doesn't mince its words! :D

bonebeach

Oh, I definitely agree. The WU ten of swords seems like a perfectly intuitive depiction of the card to me. Which is good!

Although...I did pull it once during an in-person reading for a friend...she has minimal tarot experience but she was like, "oh, that's bad, isn't it? that's bad."

"Wellll..."

Calcifer

This might be a good time for me to chime in regarding the WU cardstock - since I had so much to say about it before... I'd like to stress that while this new cardstock is definitely not as luxuriant as in the 1st editions, it isn't crap now. It simply isn't as nice as it was when it started out. If the deck appeals to you - by all means get it. I was merely disappointed when I got backups the 2nd time around. So, don't hesitate on account of my earlier posts.... the deck won't let you down (just don't get sucked into the "I can't stand the 10 of Swords" vacuum").

Michael

MandMaud

This might be a good time for me to chime in regarding the WU cardstock - since I had so much to say about it before... I'd like to stress that while this new cardstock is definitely not as luxuriant as in the 1st editions, it isn't crap now. It simply isn't as nice as it was when it started out. If the deck appeals to you - by all means get it. I was merely disappointed when I got backups the 2nd time around. So, don't hesitate on account of my earlier posts.... the deck won't let you down (just don't get sucked into the "I can't stand the 10 of Swords" vacuum").

Michael

Yes, I wouldn't have realised that mine wasn't the same "wonderful to shuffle" cardstock that people were talking about. :)

Did they ever come back to you about this - whether the printers had switched without letting them know?

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Michael.

I am EXTREMELY uptight about card stock . It is very hard to find excellent one, and when we do, oh the joy.

They are few and far between.

So when they are changed not for what feels like a better one, I do get extremely disappointed. It may sound frivolous when this essentially doesn't change the message the deck contains or the comfort it has during shuffling or spreading or using in general.

But the aesthetic of a deck has been known to be a major part of the intuitive process. And card stock and laminations are part of this.

I might order another deck after all. Waiting for their next batch in the hope of them returning to the old card stock might be a bit more tedious than putting up with a bit of dissatisfaction.

Cocobird55

I took the book to a coffee shop today and read the entire thing. It was charming -- no new insights, but I liked the way it was worded. Glad that I got it.