The Cultural Revolution Tarot

gregory

There was a previous thread about this deck in which I expressed much the same views as jillkite.
Coming late to the discussion - where is this other thread; I can't find it ....

earthair

I just bumped it to top ;)

GlitterNova

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it. If you feel so inclined, don't shop from retailers that sell this deck (if it ever goes mainstream). Don't go to a pro reader that uses this deck. If someone uses it in the AT forums, ignore the thread. Let people know why.

I agree with this sentiment very strongly. If you use a social media platform to talk about tarot, share with others why you find this deck so distasteful. Spread the word around that while this deck looks innocent and cutesy, its subject matter is pretty terrible. If Solandia does decide to include this deck in AT, submit a negative review. I think there might be a lot of younger people out there who aren't immediately familiar with the atrocities of the Cultural Revolution and might take this deck at face-value. Spreading the word and educating them is the best way to oppose this deck.

trzes

I know two similar cases: Alexander Daniloff’s Born in the USSR tarot and the Sacred Sites Tarot by Lo Scarabeo.

Born in the USSR has a very similar approach, it shows artwork that is inspired by Soviet propaganda posters. It is a reflection on the Soviet dreams of a bright communist future. Daniloff made his intentions quite clear in two brief statements:

Represents the human enthusiasm for the construction of a better future, a future so far away not to leave anything for the present, that turns into a nightmare.

"Born in the USSR" is a look at the past of my country many years later. The past quite sticky, still following us continuing to offer the splendor of the future for to rob us the present. I do not exclude that the cards can be used to do divination, but I warn you - all illusions and false belief.

The reactions to his deck have been all positive.

The Sacred Sites has one card in particular that always troubled me, the 10 of swords showing the Wewelsburg in Germany, a place where Heinrich Himmler and other top SS people practiced their personal Nazi style mysticism. It also shows a black sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(occult_symbol) ). Nazis and a neo fascist paganism symbol as a “sacred” site? What?? I found it weird that I never found any discussion about this card.

But when I pulled out the deck today and looked at the LWB I learned that the deck offers a reflection on all kinds of familiar and odd spirituality, negative and positive. It doesn’t offer spirituality on itself though. Consequently there are no indications whatsoever about how to read with this deck. So I finally came to peace with the deck.

Applying the same standards to the Cultural Revolution Tarot would have allowed me to see this as another reflection on a mindset that had great power at the time but ended as a nightmare as we know today, had it been for the first half of James Battersby’s statement (linked by Debra) only:

There are a lot of cute cards in the deck, with children playing with pandas or flying in rocket ships and all kinds of funny scenarios. Then there is the harsher side to the deck with the five of pentacles showing more than just spiritual starvation, but the very real true life event of the famine which killed millions during the cultural revolution.

So far this sounds like a perfectly valid explanation. The last bit of course makes the whole thing sound more like a flippant and naïve glorification of the whole period:

Some of the images might seem Anti-American, in particular, Strength, The Devil and the Ten of Swords, but i can assure that both my partner and i are not Anti-American. Instead we are keeping with the theme of the Cultural Revolution and this was really about the Chinese trying to remove Imperialism (which also included Britain and Japan).

Some clarification by the artists would be needed here before I would feel able to make a final judgement.

trzes

In the meantime I followed a link Erthair just posted in the other thread about this deck:

Apparently this is his 'reasoning' - along the lines of Mao did a few good things, so we'll forget all the bad things and call them unfortunate planning. [Blogpost April 28th] :bugeyed:https://culturalrevolutiontarot.wordpress.com/2015/04/

At the end of the day, the real question has to be 'why is this a tarot deck?'

It's getting trickier for the creators to prove that they are no mind-washed maoists.

gregory

If someone uses it in the AT forums, ignore the thread. Let people know why.

This is too much censorship. Other readers here can use whatever decks they like. I am NOT prepared to tell them not to, or even to boycott them, If I were about to take any action in that direction I would say that I wished they had used a deck I didn't object to. But - just as I don't use bad language at religious proselytizers who show up uninvited, or tell them how wrong headed I think they are, I am not going to tell other readers what decks to use.

Holly doll

The creators of this deck have got exactly what they wanted - attention & controversy leading to hits on their FB page; IMO we're playing their game.

In proposing a ban, are we not skating close to some of the tenets of the CR...? Free speech is a privelege & also a carries a responsibility to acknowledge those ideas we don't agree with or find outright repugnant. Most history involves suppression of beliefs & sometimes outright genocide - the victors get to tell the story. Pagans, Native Americans, African Americans, Jews,Australian Aboriginals - the list goes on & grows ad infinitum. Suppression of beliefs is occurring now with various cultures - that's the bigger & more frightening picture.

Rather than a poll, vote with your wallet - don't purchase it - the creators will get the message when the registers aren't ringing.

gregory

I don't go to facebook; they aren't getting anything from me there. But I think we all have the right to run whichever way we choose, and BANNING it here gives it far more oxygen. Look what happened with Lady Chatterley's Lover. Banning gets KUDOS.