The Cultural Revolution Tarot

jillkite

I agree that we need to think in different lights about cultural revolution, reflecting its complexity and legacy in IN ITS OWN TERMS, independent of the cliched western anti-communist point of view. But----even if one does not have to be overly ironic and critical, one has to digest and mediate the theme well. Even a posed gesture of intentional shallowness and lightheartedness has a way of registering its "posed" nature. This deck just does not show any sign of reflection and mediation.

I think to name it the Cultural Revolution Deck reflects his awkward understanding of that really means.

Quite. On the other thread someone suggested they could rename it 'The Cultural Revolution Propaganda Tarot'. That would make a really big difference, that would be an acknowledgement of where the inspiration for this tarot is really coming from, it would make it much more honest and mature.

trzes

In order to make up my mind about the deck I thought I would come back to the idea of strictly separating artists and their mindset from the artwork itself.

From looking at the deck alone I do like the artwork, and the deck actually doesn’t appear shallow or simple minded to me. It shows a fair number of different aspects of Maoist times. I see brainwashed and insanely happy people as well as hard working or even unhappy people. And I take the devil card for example as an ironic reflection rather than a plain statement. All in all I’d expect that the deck would work well for me as a reflection on romantic Western views of Maoism, less on Maoism itself though.

Still a deck reflecting on Nazi aesthetics and mindsets would be a no-go for me because I couldn’t avoid seeing the real history every time I look at it. Many people who suffered from communist regimes, have ties to Tibetan culture or simply have no memories of their own romantic attitude towards communist ideas during adolescence won’t be willing to ignore real history either. Insofar most posts in this thread stating repulsion make perfect sense to me. The objections just don’t apply to me, while I wouldn’t use the deck for readings either, except maybe for myself.

I stopped trying to understand the artist’s mindset. My best guess is that they have a slightly romantic or misty-eyed attitude towards the Cultural Revolution and after being harshly criticized became defensive in an awkward way which made them make even more annoying statements. But since a tarot deck can’t be a spiritual tool and a balanced political analysis at the same time I think it doesn’t matter either how balanced the view of the artists is.

I am going to buy the Cultural Revolution Tarot.

gregory

In order to make up my mind about the deck I thought I would come back to the idea of strictly separating artists and their mindset from the artwork itself.

From looking at the deck alone I do like the artwork, and the deck actually doesn’t appear shallow or simple minded to me. It shows a fair number of different aspects of Maoist times. I see brainwashed and insanely happy people as well as hard working or even unhappy people. And I take the devil card for example as an ironic reflection rather than a plain statement. All in all I’d expect that the deck would work well for me as a reflection on romantic Western views of Maoism, less on Maoism itself though.

Still a deck reflecting on Nazi aesthetics and mindsets would be a no-go for me because I couldn’t avoid seeing the real history every time I look at it. Many people who suffered from communist regimes, have ties to Tibetan culture or simply have no memories of their own romantic attitude towards communist ideas during adolescence won’t be willing to ignore real history either. Insofar most posts in this thread stating repulsion make perfect sense to me. The objections just don’t apply to me, while I wouldn’t use the deck for readings either, except maybe for myself.

I stopped trying to understand the artist’s mindset. My best guess is that they have a slightly romantic or misty-eyed attitude towards the Cultural Revolution and after being harshly criticized became defensive in an awkward way which made them make even more annoying statements. But since a tarot deck can’t be a spiritual tool and a balanced political analysis at the same time I think it doesn’t matter either how balanced the view of the artists is.

I am going to buy the Cultural Revolution Tarot.
This. I agree with trzes. As I said - the art work is good - and the images aren't all happy happy.

mydearruby

I am curious to what degree one can separate the artwork from the artist? I have dealt with some terribly rude or insensitive artists but I still happen to love their decks in spite of myself.

But in other cases such separation is just not possible, not for those who are emotionally or intellectually invested in the big topic of cultural revolution. Although it is fairly easy for us to say "I don't care I just want a pretty deck and stay neutral", our very ability to afford to be *separate and neutral* would still hurt those who are less lucky and who are irremediably entangled in its history.

I wish tarot artists could remain hands off these big issues. As an enthusiast I do believe that everything in this world can be *tarotized* in a way. But to publicize and commoditize it is a entirely different matter.

trzes

Although it is fairly easy for us to say "I don't care I just want a pretty deck and stay neutral", our very ability to afford to be *separate and neutral* would still hurt those who are less lucky and who are irremediably entangled in its history.

I am sure it won’t hurt all of them but I agree in principle. Just as it hurts many of the people for example who have been sexually abused or raped to hear about other people enjoying sex because they can’t enjoy it themselves anymore. It would dramatically increase the amount of sadness in the world though if those who can enjoy sex would stop having sex in order not to hurt the feelings of those who can’t.

James Battersby

Those of you who are complaining about the work my partner and i have done on The Cultural Revolution Tarot over the past year and a half and happen to be American better not be Obama supporters otherwise you're in for a good old fashioned roasting. YOU should be ashamed of yourselves. That's all i'll say for now.

gregory

James - I REALLY don't think you are helping your cause here :D

And I am NOT American - but I'd far rather have Obama than the alternative party.

Zephyros

Those of you who are complaining about the work my partner and i have done on The Cultural Revolution Tarot over the past year and a half and happen to be American better not be Obama supporters otherwise you're in for a good old fashioned roasting. YOU should be ashamed of yourselves. That's all i'll say for now.

Do you mean his questionable human rights record and seeming subservience to Wall Street? Nobody is forgetting that, nor is anyone afraid of being roasted. And yes, I live in Israel and allow myself the luxury of criticizing the CR. Take your best shot.

But that has nothing to do with your deck, and instead of throwing down grand, meaningless declarations and bolting, why not engage your target audience and potential customers? Is this how you wish to market your deck, by attacking people who may or may not buy your work with their hard earned money? Or did you simply expect everyone to just swoon over your deck and expected no criticism?

Even if your deck was a magnificent creation, which it is not, you have much to learn about actually selling the damn thing.

trzes

I am overwhelmed by the intellectual power of your argument. Of course humankind is strictly separable into those who enjoy Maoism and those who don't and therefore are all devoted footmen of US imperialism, in one way or the other, but with no real need for further distinction. How could I fail to see this before?

Luckily I already commited myself to strictly separate artwork and artists here, so I will be able to enjoy a deck that in itself isn't all that snotnosedly self-righteous })

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Just as members are allowed to express their opinions, so are artists and authors. Creators who think that talking down to the membership instead of dialoging with them will increase their sales are welcome to see if that method works for them.