Starter Deck For My 19-Year-Old Son

greatdane

LOVE Tarot Plain and Simple, Amanda!

My favorite tarot book.

Le Fanu

Somebody has to say it; a nice edition of the RWS.

None of the decks mentioned would have appealed to my nineteen year old self, except perhaps the Sevenfold Mystery. Funny - I was just thinking to myself how I don't know many men who regularly read with the Morgan Greer. I sometimes think it's a deck that women recommend (that and the DruidCraft) as a deck that men should like.

Thoth is always a good bet. Many many tarot lovers have got into tarot via the Thoth. It doesn't need to be complicated :D Or Dame Fortune's Wheel? Deviant Moon? Cosmic?

Amanda

Somebody has to say it; a nice edition of the RWS.

None of the decks mentioned would have appealed to my nineteen year old self, except perhaps the Sevenfold Mystery. Funny - I was just thinking to myself how I don't know many men who regularly read with the Morgan Greer. I sometimes think it's a deck that women recommend (that and the DruidCraft) as a deck that men should like.

Really? Not the Robin Wood?
I don't like the backs of the Robin Wood. I wish they would change that green color to something more like what's in the deck -- the shades of green in the Ace of Pentacles perhaps.

I like the Robin Wood because if it was a smell, that smell would be sandalwood. Just a very clean yet earthy man-smell. I love that smell.

Thoth is always a good bet. Many many tarot lovers have got into tarot via the Thoth. It doesn't need to be complicated :D Or Dame Fortune's Wheel? Deviant Moon? Cosmic?

Deviant Moon was actually my first thought, but it usually is, so I thought I might have been pushing my own agenda on that one. :D

jolie_amethyst

I'm with Le Fanu; a good RWS: regular yellow box, Universal, Radiant, Commemorative, etc. Or Seven Stars' Deck of the Bastard or Samhain DOB, if strict RWS imagery doesn't appeal. SDOB comes with keywords, the DOB can be ordered with or without them.

These decks would give him a good foundation in Tarot. Add themed decks in later, if he wants to.

I also recommend Tarot Plain and Simple! It's an outstanding resource.

(I like the Robin Wood deck myself, but it does have a cheesy factor in spots that would have embarassed the hell out of me at when I was that age. And I'm a female. Even now, if my husband looks over my shoulder at the Wheel or Judgment from that deck, he either starts snickering or muttering, "What on earth was she thinking with that image?" So, no, I probably wouldn't recommend it for a teenage boy.)

Barleywine

I recommended the Radiant RWS earlier in the thread, but the Albano Waite is another vivid one that I find is a pleasure to read with.

greatdane

I admit I am interested in watching the recommendations! I wouldn't know which deck a young man of 19 would be drawn to. I agree the RWS is a great place to start IF the art at least resonates with someone at all. Ah, to be 19 again....or 59 lol.

Le Fanu

Funny but when I first got into tarot and first came across the RWS, I never thought about liking the artwork or not. It just was a certain type of tarot. For me the 1JJ Swiss was tarot but then the RWS followed on close behind. Liking or not liking the artwork didn't really come into it.

I think you can't got wrong with a RWS in whatever format. I don't like the Radiant for example but maybe he would. The Deck of the Bastard is a good recommendation as it is RWS but with the mystery and magic of the older decks. Yes, I think I would have loved that aged 19.

greatdane

:) Le Fanu

I agree about choosing a good basic deck. I know it helps if the colors or art at least appeal, but it's always good to start with a standard I think. One can branch off more later.
I had to smile at your reply as I could see you at 19 thinking that was a cool deck, from what you've said about it. It's GREAT that those just starting in tarot now have so many choices even among more "standard" decks.