Starter Deck For My 19-Year-Old Son

CornissMagorniss

Thank you all for your very thoughtful suggestions!

This will give him a place to sit and shop a bit. If it's too overwhelming, it's hard to focus on what one likes. The Radiant RWS in a tin does look convenient and accessible, as well as inexpensive.

FaithRJ

Thanks for all the recommendations guys ! I'm a beginner too

G6

Sun and Moon Tarot

Just wanted to add Sun and Moon Tarot as it seems to have a mix of Thoth in it as well as more of a graphic style that is easily readable and might appeal to younger folks.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234911

It looks so cool I might get it! ;-)

tarotbear

You should take him tarot shopping and see which one he is drawn to!! :D

You could take him shopping with your tablet and see what decks the store has, then look them up on the Tarot Decks forum and look at some of the cards (since you cannot open the box) and see if there are any reviews. Hard to tell anything from a sealed box!

CornissMagorniss

We went shopping, with your suggestions...

He chose the Cosmic (thanks MaryHeather, LeFanu). He's familiar with the RWS, as I use it a lot, but wanted to choose something for himself. Somewhat to my surprise, he wasn't particularly drawn to the Gilded, and was quite pleased with the Llewellyn, but when he saw the Cosmic, that really clicked. Lots to look at, great colors, "old", but with a contemporary twist.
So that's on order from Book Depository, and a borderless Deviant Moon for me.

Nemia

A great choice! I really like the Cosmic, it's easy to read and intelligent.

feynrir

This thread is enabling me on the Cosmic, oh noooooooo!! :eek:

But I'm so happy he found a deck for himself :) My own first (that I actually seriously studied and read with) was the Tarot of the Hidden Realm, which wouldn't be recommended by most as a beginner's deck. But there you have it! Whatever speaks to each person.