Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Carla

laura_borealis said:
That's interesting, I'd always thought the objections to it were mostly about the creator Osho (the guru). After reading about him I definitely would have a hard time connecting with the deck. (I do have a teeny set of the majors, which came in the back of a book I no longer have.)

Nah, I wasn't bothered about Osho. I ignored the 'Master' card and the fact that tarot was associated with him. It was the actual deck itself and the way it made me feel that I didn't like. It was like I could never live up to the level of perfection expected.

Myrrha

HighPriestess said:
Wow, I can't believe how many people regret buying the Fenestra. It looks great to me! (She says having never seen it in person...)

I'm giving the Fenestra a second chance. I feel things when I see the cards, which helps to connect to them. However the facial expressions are very subtle, the colors only really seem meaningful in some cards and not others. Sometimes I don't get much more than standardized meanings from them but the standardized meanings seem more applicable and useful with this deck.

I've never regretted a deck purchase but it is disappointing to realize that I just can't read with a particular deck and it isn't worthwhile enough in some other way to be worth it to me to keep. The Universal Fantasy comes to mind, others were getting great intuitive readings with it and it was just not talking to me. Trading decks onward is so much fun that I tend not to feel regretful.

Laura Borealis

Carla said:
Nah, I wasn't bothered about Osho. I ignored the 'Master' card and the fact that tarot was associated with him. It was the actual deck itself and the way it made me feel that I didn't like. It was like I could never live up to the level of perfection expected.
I just re-read another thread about the deck and saw what you wrote there. And I have to agree, for the most part. I have the same problem with Zen in general (at least, with much of what I've read about it, which is of course filtered through Western writers.) It seems so critical and uncompromising. Not that I think what Osho was teaching at the end was actual Zen (rather, his adaptation of Zen ideas to his own ideas).

I've also just realized that the deck came out several years after Osho's death and is a packaging of his ideas by a follower.

rosegold

If there's one deck that I wouldn't recommend, it would be the Angel Voices oracle. The card images had little to do with the meanings listed in the companion book, and the book itself was full of information that would have taken me years to memorize. Also, I think the artist or printer made a mistake in a couple of the cards. There are two angels who are wearing the wrong-colored robes for the groups they are in. Maybe this wouldn't bother most people, but I couldn't get past it!

There probably are some out there who could use this deck and enjoy it. As for me, I'm sorry I spent the money! I recently bought a Tarot deck at a very reasonable price, and it is quickly turning into my favorite deck! (One's trash, another's treasure, right?)

Tansey Ella

I guess b/c I am old and remember the hippy years ( 60-70) I like Osho.
The decks works well for me and I find it it often my go to deck. I do see what you mean about the moralizing and all that. Good points.

Frayling0

Hmmm, this has kind of de-enabled me from buying Osho Zen. I thought it looked nice... oh, how shallow!

Laura Borealis

Frayling0 said:
Hmmm, this has kind of de-enabled me from buying Osho Zen. I thought it looked nice... oh, how shallow!

:eek: But this is the "decks we wish we hadn't bought" thread, not "decks we don't want anyone else to buy"... everyone has different tastes, so if you're attracted to it, why not go for it? The swords suit (I think it's actually air/clouds?) might work for you where it didn't for Carla. Tansey Ella likes it, so you won't be alone. :)

And to be on topic... I wish I hadn't bought Kat Black's Golden. I like the deck but I just know I'm never going to read with it. With the money I spent, I could have had another Marseilles!

Frayling0

laura_borealis said:
:eek: But this is the "decks we wish we hadn't bought" thread, not "decks we don't want anyone else to buy"... everyone has different tastes, so if you're attracted to it, why not go for it? The swords suit (I think it's actually air/clouds?) might work for you where it didn't for Carla. Tansey Ella likes it, so you won't be alone. :)

And to be on topic... I wish I hadn't bought Kat Black's Golden. I like the deck but I just know I'm never going to read with it. With the money I spent, I could have had another Marseilles!

This is true, I'm going to have to consider it :) I really love the look lol!

cronegoddess54

quintessence said:
Actually, I find Sacred Rose to be ultimately more frightening than Deviant Moon. True, when I first received the DM I smothered it in crystals and bathed it in sunlight for a few days. But when I finally tried an Introduction to Your Deck reading, it was warm, funny, inciteful, and even cuddly. We all have a certain amount of dark things we bury deep. This deck has called a couple out for me (that hermit is bizarre in its ability to do this, as is the lovers card) which while painful to acknowledge and deal with, wasn't really frightening at all. And in the end it strengthened me on several levels.
So I have to say at this point that I'm not thrilled that I bought the Sacred Rose, but I am very pleased with Deviant Moon. I felt compelled to post this for others perhaps to get past their fears in whatever way works for them and give the deck the chance to prove itself to them.
I agree that the Sacred Rose is very frightening! Those hideous faces...creepy...the Deviant Moon a very different story...it makes me giggle, smile....as for the Sacred Rose and The Vampire Tarot those would be the two that I should not have bought...as it is they are in my possesion and I do not hate them..but not my cup of tea...thank goodness we are all different in our likes and dislikes :)

conversus

There are three Thoth decks which I wish I had not purchased. However, had they been gifts, I'd be perfectly content to own them.

I should also say that I have no plans to part with them.

A boy of contradictions!

CED