How Important are Planetary Degrees?

The_Hydra

I mean planets' degrees, not aspects' orbs. For example my sun is in Gemini in the 29th degree. I'd like to know if the degrees any planets are in has a large impact on what they act like, or whether aspects, signs, and houses are all that matters.

Minderwiz

That's a good question. It really depends on they system of Astrology you use, as to whether individual degrees have a quality associated with them, rather than being a mathematical division of a sign, or even a circle.

The main watershed is probably Johannes Kepler (1571-1630). Kepler was a Mathematician who did much work on the laws of planetary motion. Indeed his was a dominant voice up to the time of Newton. But as well as being a Mathematician/Astronomer, Kepler was an Astrologer and tried to reform Astrology to meet what he thought of as Scientific principles (he was neither the first not the last to try this). He introduced the minor aspects, that many Astrologers use today but the part of his legacy that is relevant here is that he shifted the focus from the nature of the Signs involved to the geometric relationship of the planets by degree. So after Kepler it was quite easy to state that a planet at 27 degrees Aries is in a square aspect to another planet at 3 degrees Leo, even though they are both in Fire Signs, which are Trine to each other. The quality of the degree gave way to the mathematical calculation.

This shift took time to take hold but today the only notable system that does argue for individual degree qualities is the Sabian Symbols of Marc Edmund Jones and Elsie Wheeler based on clairvoyance rather than Astrology. You will mind a lot of devotees.

Before Kepler there was much more acceptance that degrees were variable in quality. This might be through subdivisions of a sign, such as the Decans or the Terms. But there was also a consideration of other factors as well. Al Biruni in his Book of Instruction in the Elements of the Art of Astrology makes reference to other sub divisions such as the ninths and the twelfths of a sign (the latter being used since Hellenistic times and the former being used in Jyotish or Vedic Astrology). Each of these divisions of a Sign has a planetary ruler, and therefore is coloured to an extent by the nature of that planet, taking into account it's position and condition in the chart.

Al Biruni also mentions male and female degrees, bright and dark degrees, degrees of increasing fortune and places injurious to the eyes.

In the Seventeenth Century William Lilly listed these in a table which also included 'deep or pitted' degrees and 'degrees lame or deficient' together with instructions as to how to use them in horary readings.

I must admit I've never tried to implement his table but the point is that he saw individual degrees within a sign as having variable qualities.

You mentioned your Sun in the 29th degree of Gemini (by which I assume you mean the last degree of the sign). I have the Sun at 29, 45 Libra and Jupiter at 29, 59 Scorpio. Traditionally a placement in the last degrees of a Sign has been seen as unfavourable. This seems to be because the last Terms of a Sign is often ruled by Mars or Saturn, the traditional malefics. My Sun is in the Terms of Mars and Jupiter is in the Terms of Saturn, as is also the case for your Sun.

Oddly the unfortunate nature of the 29th degree is often trotted out by Modern Astrologers who don't use the Terms and therefore have no real basis for coming to that conclusion, other than 'change is bad' (though they never would put it that way).

Smiling

The 29th degree also may describe a sense of urgency connected to the sign/planet/placement. I've found that it can manifest as a sense of mission, or a strong need to complete something, related to the ending of the sign. Also, since the degrees are rounded off, once the sign is at 29, it really is moving towards 0 of the next sign. So a planet at 28, moving forward towards 29, may indicate challenges, too.

But planets at 29 Leo would conjunct the fixed star Regulus, which quite a number of talented, famous people have and is nice to have. And planets at 28 Sagittarius would conjunct the Galactic Center @ 27 Sag, which I've found brings a lot of inspired energy into the chart. So many layers to astrology!

I have the Sun at 29, 45 Libra and Jupiter at 29, 59 Scorpio.

Minderwiz, how nice that you have Sun and Jupiter at the same degree- works like a conjunction, and that's a nice combo. :thumbsup: How has that manifested for you?

The_Hydra

There seems like so much to keep in mind when reading astrology charts lol I wanted to get into this so I could interpret my chart further than I already have (which wasn't really encouraging btw.) Both my sun and moon are conjunct and at the 29th degree. From what I've read about Gemini Sun at 29th degree is that I'm super cruel, sly, blahblahblah basically that I step on everyone to get to the top.

I'm interpreting things through Western astrology but I'm wondering if it's the "correct" one. Or IF there is a "correct" one.

Ahhh... And I suck at math too. I guess I should look for someone with more experience and pay them to interpret it for me because I'm not doing a great job.

Minderwiz

There seems like so much to keep in mind when reading astrology charts lol

Don't try to keep it in mind. Write yourself a checklist and work through it. Eventually it will become habit but don't expect it to at first. Working through a checklist is much easier.

The_Hydra said:
I wanted to get into this so I could interpret my chart further than I already have (which wasn't really encouraging btw.) Both my sun and moon are conjunct and at the 29th degree. From what I've read about Gemini Sun at 29th degree is that I'm super cruel, sly, blahblahblah basically that I step on everyone to get to the top.

That's a new one on me. I'd love to know where you found that. The position of one planet doesn't determine your temperament/personality. Cruelty is more a feature of a debiltated Mars, and Mars is not involved in that position. Of course, not having your chart, but it would still be a function of Mars, rather than your Sun and certainly not your Moon.

The_Hydra said:
I'm interpreting things through Western astrology but I'm wondering if it's the "correct" one. Or IF there is a "correct" one.

Well it depends which 'Western Astrology' your using because there are now many variants due to the fracturing and reinventing of Astrology in the West. Whether or not there's a 'correct' one is really a moot question because you'll never get Astrologers to agree on that.

The_Hydra said:
Ahhh... And I suck at math too. I guess I should look for someone with more experience and pay them to interpret it for me because I'm not doing a great job.

All the mathematics needed is now done by computer programs. What you may have to do is to look for aspects that are forming or separating, though many programs will do that for you too. If you do pay someone to do it for you think carefully in advance as to what approach you want taken. If you're not into psychological Astrology, then paying even the world's foremost exponent will give you a disappointing result. If you are into psychological Astrology then paying one of the world's foremost traditional or event driven Astrologers will result in disappointment.