Vedic Astrology

Simsy

Hey all...

I was wondering where could I find some information regarding Vedic astrology, it's something that i've been interested in for awhile but it's not a well know as western or even celtic astrology

Simsy

Minderwiz

Hey all...

I was wondering where could I find some information regarding Vedic astrology, it's something that i've been interested in for awhile but it's not a well know as western or even celtic astrology

Simsy

Actually, it's the most used system of Horoscopic Astrology in the world (Chinese Astrology does not make use of a horoscopic chart). It adopted the horoscopic chart from Hellenistic Astrology, and much of its terminology and method is of Hellenistic origin, blended with systems native to India.

You will find many sites, if you do a search for Vedic Astrology, or Jyotish (its correct name. There are also many books of which Komilla Sutton's Essentials of Vedic Astrology is the most accessible. You will find a good selection of her books on Amazon, and if you have a kindle or a kindle app, you will find them at a good price reduction.

It's too big a topic to do an easy summary but you need to know (if you don't know already from your research) that it differs very much from the Astrology practiced by Modern Western Astrologers. It also uses a different zodiac, the Sidereal Zodiac which is more in line with the constellations than the Tropical Zodiac used in the West. Also it makes no use of the outer planets or asteroids and other bodies. It keeps to the classical seven that were used in the early Western Tradition.

Simsy

Actually, it's the most used system of Horoscopic Astrology in the world (Chinese Astrology does not make use of a horoscopic chart). It adopted the horoscopic chart from Hellenistic Astrology, and much of its terminology and method is of Hellenistic origin, blended with systems native to India.

You will find many sites, if you do a search for Vedic Astrology, or Jyotish (its correct name. There are also many books of which Komilla Sutton's Essentials of Vedic Astrology is the most accessible. You will find a good selection of her books on Amazon, and if you have a kindle or a kindle app, you will find them at a good price reduction.

It's too big a topic to do an easy summary but you need to know (if you don't know already from your research) that it differs very much from the Astrology practiced by Modern Western Astrologers. It also uses a different zodiac, the Sidereal Zodiac which is more in line with the constellations than the Tropical Zodiac used in the West. Also it makes no use of the outer planets or asteroids and other bodies. It keeps to the classical seven that were used in the early Western Tradition.

Ah thanks Minderwiz, I'm not going to lie my initial research took me to wikipedia (which isn't the most reliable source lol) I will have a troll around and research some more but thank you for a heads up to the books etc :)

Simsy

Minderwiz

Ah thanks Minderwiz, I'm not going to lie my initial research took me to wikipedia (which isn't the most reliable source lol) I will have a troll around and research some more but thank you for a heads up to the books etc :)

Simsy

I would have expected you to have done some research and would have been disappointed if you hadn't . It's a fascinating area that I'd like to get round to eventually. I am studying it's first cousin, Hellenistic Astrology, so I think it will be a natural progression.

Sadly we don't have a resident practitioner of Jyotish, which is a pity, as we get a few questions on that area.