How To Laminate Cards?

tarotlyn

aurarcana said:
tarotlyn, this is the thread on gilt edging. I'm one of the people that does it often ;): an experiment at gilt edging.

I'm going to add gilt edges to the first deck I laminate. I didn't think about that being a good sealant! Great idea :thumbsup:.

I'm only going to be laminating decks for personal use and I liked the small size of the 5" Xyron, but I can see how the 9" would save me money when it comes to larger rolls of laminate. So far, I only have 2 decks I want and will laminate (so far): my Book of Kaos and my Tarot Nusantara. I have a back-up of the Tarot Nusantara, but not the Kaos. Yes, I'll be laminating the actual decks, both of which are too thin for use.

I'd love to see if there is some kind of bonding agent, like a glue, that I can apply to the edges after I laminate the cards, perhaps with a small paint brush, to further seal the edges. Do you think that would be going overboard? Based on your feedback (which is again, much appreciated :love:), it seems like the corners are the only major issue with cold lamination, and only after extensive use.

:heart::) Thank you so much for the link to the gilting thread! :thumbsup::)

The lamination should help thicken those decks that are too thin for you.
They will probably come out perfect, strong, and flexible still.

I don't think I would 'glue' the edges RIGHT AFTER laminating, but would
wait and see if any of them fluff up and then separate, THEN you could
think about gluing them at that time, but until then, enjoy!

I just need to find a glue that will work without seaping up through the
separated card stock and into the image...and probably just a dab will do!
Also, I have a good feeling that the gilting will help immensely IF used BEFORE
laminating (meaning you will have to laminate each card separately on the
5" laminator). It might be too tricky to try to feed them into the larger laminator (9")
plus the laminate might mess up if your loose cards turn on you...like say
2 or 3 cards fed in next to one another at a time...probably not a good idea. :bugeyed:
Once the laminate sticks, if it is on wrong, it is hard to take off the image without damaging it. :eek:

Good luck with your decks!
:heart:tarotlyn

shadowdancer

I am so sorry I can't help. I have only had my trusty hot laminator these past few years so cannot really offer any advise or comparison re the use of cold laminating.

Good luck though

:)

Davina

tarotlyn

:heart: thanks anyway, Stormy...it is the thought that counts! :thumbsup:

:arrow: RE: GLUE for the separated corners
What I just found is not glue, BUT it might work even better and be easier too!
...and definitely not messy either and no drying required...

Here is what I found:

Glue Dots™ Memory Book Ultra Thin Clear 3/8" 252 pc Sheet

Item# GD-MEMSH
$4.99

Quoting:
"Glue Dots™ are a double-sided, pressure-sensitive adhesive that is faster and
safer than using hot glue guns, faster than foam tape products, and easier
than dispenser-type adhesives. Bonds instantly, child safe, non-toxic, acid-free
and no dispenser required. Great for hobbies, home, school, and office projects.
Do not use Glue Dots™ to attach small parts to objects that may be handled
by young children. Small object can present a choking hazard. Memory Book
Ultra Thin Clear 3/8" 252 pc Sheet- Ultra-thin, double-sided adhesive dots for
permanently mounting photos and creating cards. They bond to photo paper,
heavy cardstock, textured papers and lightweight embellishments and are
ideal for paper crafts of all kinds. These dots are 3/8", have 21 sheets and
come in a resealable pouch."

see image of them here:
yhst-75491472215926_2158_292051883

I am going to order these, and try them and see how they work...and I will
get back and post here my results...(will be awhile, depending on the delivery of these)...
I HOPE these work...would solve my corner separation problem anyway :thumbsup:

tarotlyn

:heart::)...and gregory, I think you could use a 'hair dryer' if you have one...
to heat up the lamination (whole front of the card) then use a burnisher to
smooth it really well to help the lamination stick better.

They make these little heaters for crafts, but my little hair dryer looks just like this one! LOL
(oh, BTW, thanks to :heart: BriarRose for mentioning this tool to me :) )

See the craft heater here: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-75491472215926_2158_461192173

I just tried my hair dryer on top of a cold lamination card practice card, and it
gets pretty hot...just hot air, and you can set the dryer on low...and it might be
better than a hot iron.

Just a thought for you sweetie!

tarotlyn

:heart::)...and for a less expensive CORNER ROUNDER, I found this one for $19.99 on sale:

This is probably the one that would work well, and has 'two' options for the corners...
(not sure if that means 'two different sizes'...but it might...you could email them)
See it here:
http://eclecticpaperie.com/70901-5.html

Check this video out...it shows how this puppy works:
http://eclecticpaperie.com/cornerchomper.html

scroll down and click on arrow to start video.

This is the same place I am buying the 'glue dots' from...

ETA: EUREKA...today is my lucky day for finding things!!! On that same site
(above link)) I found metallic ink pads with ink that works on PLASTIC...or Laminate!!!
It comes in gold, silver, or copper for $16.49. (I must try this process!)
(thanks :heart: cardlady22 for the 'metallic pad gilting' idea!)

This might work, so I am ordering it, along with my 'glue dots' from them...
It was only $5.05 for priority shipping for the metallic pad/ink, and glue dots...
so I might have these sooner than I thought I would!:bugeyed:
I will come back later on and post the results here... :party:

strings of life

tarotlyn said:
:heart::)...and for a less expensive CORNER ROUNDER, I found this one for $19.99 on sale:

This is probably the one that would work well, and has 'two' options for the corners...
(not sure if that means 'two different sizes'...but it might...you could email them)
See it here:
http://eclecticpaperie.com/70901-5.html

Check this video out...it shows how this puppy works:
http://eclecticpaperie.com/cornerchomper.html

scroll down and click on arrow to start video.

This is the same place I am buying the 'glue dots' from...

ETA: EUREKA...today is my lucky day for finding things!!! On that same site
(above link)) I found metallic ink pads with ink that works on PLASTIC...or Laminate!!!
It comes in gold, silver, or copper for $16.49. (I must try this process!)
(thanks :heart: cardlady22 for the 'metallic pad gilting' idea!)

This might work, so I am ordering it, along with my 'glue dots' from them...
It was only $5.05 for priority shipping for the metallic pad/ink, and glue dots...
so I might have these sooner than I thought I would!:bugeyed:
I will come back later on and post the results here... :party:
Hi tarotlyn, what is the name of the ink pads that you found that work on plastic? I found one brand on that site; is that the one?

Gilt edging outside of the laminate = perfect!

ETA: I found one: StazOn Solvent Ink Pads by Tsukineko. They are also available in Metallic: StazOn Metallic. Once you get the ink pad, you can buy refill ink too!

Babalon Jones

xyron laminator best price

Hi friends,

I just ordered one of those Xyron 900 laminators and think I found a really good price on those, and especially on the rolls of laminate. Dick Blick's site online had them for $53, but they run specials of a % off your order all the time, so I got it for 20% off which came to $42. The 50 foot rolls of laminate were 19.99, but with the 20% off they came to $15.99 each! Plus free shipping. That is cheaper than Amazon and even cheaper than I can get them at Michaels with a 40% off coupon (and a drive to the store, and limited to one).

Yay! Getting closer to having a prototype of my deck in hand. I can't wait!

So, anyone who has used one of these cold laminators, is there a consensus on a good card stock weight or type to use to get a sturdy but flexible card? I've heard everything from 32lb to 110lb. I guess I could just experiment, but it would be better I think to have some idea going in.

Now I'm thinking about gilting. But it sounds like a lot of work and messy, so on the fence about that one!

gregory

How many cards will that cropadile cut at once ? (my little cheapie is fine for single laminated cards - and I cut wads of tinfoil with it from time to time to sharpen it - useful tip I got somewhere...)

:bugeyed: Just priced it in the UK and - I think NOT... Too late to risk buying one while I am over here, given Canada Post combined with Canada Customs... Maybe if I pass a Michaels...

strings of life

My lamination sheets are here - 72 feet of it :eek:! I am home [from work] today as well.

I'm glad that the sheets are acid-free as well.

I'll start my project today!

strings of life

Wow, the Zyron is amazing! Works great: perfect lamination, no air bubbles, makes the deck flexible and seals the card entirely, trims easily with my trimmer and I can round the corners with ease too