Timing with Lenormand

lord_ewin

A lot of people have been asking me about Timing when it comes to Lenormand lately. Having gotten these factors from the Grand Jeu, I figured I'd share them here if only to have a thread with them in it for easy reference.

Can someone let me know if these jive with other methods (ie: Steinbach)? I'll keep it all together if I can.

Each number between the suits and astro sign are the amount of days to expect when trying to make a prediction. Note that 30 can be either 3 or 30 days according to Jean Didier's 'Le Livre du grand jeu de Mlle. Lenormand'

(#24 - The Heart........) - J:heart: = 03 = Aries
(#29 - The Woman......) - A:spade: = 06 = Taurus
( NA - Missing Gemini....) - 3:diamond: = 09 = Gemini
(#14 - The Fox............) - 9:club: = 12 = Cancer
(#01 - The Messenger...) - 9:heart: = 15 = Leo
(#17 - The Stork..........) - Q:heart: = 18 = Virgo
(#13 - The Child...........) - J:spade: = 21 = Libra
( NA - Missing Scorpio...) - 5:diamond: = 24 = Scorpio
( NA - Missing Sagitarius) - 5:spade: = 27 = Sagitarius
(#23 - The Mice...........) - 7:club: = 30 = Capricorn
(#33 - The Key............) - 8:diamond: = 33 =Aquarius
( NA - Missing Pisces.....) - 4:heart: = 36 = Pisces

Regards,

lord_ewin

For completeness, here are the values in the Astro-mythological deck's little white book (LWB):

timingwithgrandjeu.jpg

**** Note how the numerical values differ from Jean Didier's book... ****

**** Note 2 -- the equation was slightly changed from the one in the LWB.

Ronia

I use traditional meanings:
Rider - one to three weeks, surrounding cards usually give the number
Stars - one month in most occasions, if there is no delaying card around, but less than three months usually
Moon - a month
Sun - a year
Scythe - very close, may be immediately or in a couple of days
Crossroads and Birds - give the number 2
Mountain - this can lead to a significant delay, it may even be years
Mice - short delay, loss of some time
Clover - two weeks or two months, it's another quick card

I can't think of others now, I'll add more later.

lord_ewin

Thanks Ronia, this helps! :D

Edit: also wanted to note that I also see the moon as a month, but occasionaly divide it into quarters depending on the surounding cards. It's mainly done by instinct though.

Ronia

It's true for most of the cards. It's juts the Lenormand thing to always look for the surrounding cards. I've found that absolutely always when my question involves timing, there is more than one card, and often even more than two, that define the exact timing.

Tree - another long card, usually months up to years
Tower - another of the slow ones, usually year (s)
Anchor - same as above, another slow one

214red

I recently pulled for a timing spread and got the moon+mice and it said to me eclipse, not conventional but it made sense at the time. the saying that the moon was made of cheese, was in my head.

marimorimo

I recently pulled for a timing spread and got the moon+mice and it said to me eclipse, not conventional but it made sense at the time. the saying that the moon was made of cheese, was in my head.

Very interesting interpretation! And it does look like the moon is being eaten up during an eclipse. Just had the good fortune to see my very first lunar eclipse with a red moon a couple weeks ago. Breathtaking :)

I don't have my notes now to compare with Steinbach's timing system but this is what I remember off the top of my head:

Rider : soon
Moon : fast time frame, not too long
Mice : days or weeks, seldom months
Mountain : significant delays
Clouds : the influence of the Gemini (May 21 - June 21)

The card numbers i.e. Clover (2) = 2 weeks, 2 months, February; Whip (11) = November

I only remember the astrological correspondence for Clouds because it turned up as a timing card for my first serious Lenormand reading and it was dead accurate.

214red

i wanted to add something about timing, i found that the flowers is quick for me, and it makes sense as flowers dont last long, if your lucky just over a week, so 9 days seems right as the card is 9.i would see it as up to 9 days.

Mona18

Do all cards have "timing" mechanism? Or is it just some?

I asked a 'when' question and it returned with Fish - Ring - Letter.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

andybc

Do all cards have "timing" mechanism? Or is it just some?

I asked a 'when' question and it returned with Fish - Ring - Letter.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

There are a lot of different methods.

The method I was taught uses a different association for each card (the four seasons, the twelve months etc). I've not found it to be terribly reliable though.

The Grand Jeu's method of timing using the querent's age etc. has worked in the past, but as it's not too specific I'm not sure of it's reliability. I don't think it could be used with the small deck though.