Wildwood Cafe (Study group): 4 The Green Man

jcwirish

Okay, we are going to start our discussion with the Green Man. Here's a picture of it to help us along. I'm sorry that it's not the best photo. I'll try to create a better one in a bit, but we can start with this.

First of all, I love this card! As number four in the deck, The Green Man is in the place of what would traditionally be the Emperor. I love the energy of this card and the determined look on the Green Man's face. He appears to be in complete control of his environment, and very intent on his actions. No one is going to get in his way! This image says "The Great Patriarch" to me. He is the ultimate male. He is the power of nature. He commands both fear and respect.

These are just my initial thoughts. There's a long way to go with this card. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

• The Green Man.jpg
    The Green Man.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,341

Flaxen

He also makes me think of the old legends of a king and his land being tied together. With a good, just ruler the land would flourish; the Emperor in his best qualities.

ETA: What do you think he is brewing in his cauldron? Is he a representation of the Dagda?

Frayling0

I agree with everything said initially, just wanted to point a few more of the details:

- Yes, he's definitely in command of nature. On the right side is the Cerne Abbas Giant in the hill (this is a real monument in England), the erect penis and the weapon pretty much call out empowerment, it even has its own card!

- I look at his beard, and I see a double helix of DNA... the blocks we're all made of. He really is in touch with the cosmos!

Frayling0

Flaxen said:
He also makes me think of the old legends of a king and his land being tied together. With a good, just ruler the land would flourish; the Emperor in his best qualities.

ETA: What do you think he is brewing in his cauldron? Is he a representation of the Dagda?

The book mentions the Dagda - he certainly seems very patriarchal.

Flaxen

Frayling0 said:
I look at his beard, and I see a double helix of DNA... the blocks we're all made of. He really is in touch with the cosmos!

Well spotted on the beard - it also reminds me of that other card with the 2 dragons curled round a tree.

That would tie in with the cauldron as the Dagda was supposed to possess a cauldron which left no man unsatisfied and could make the dead come to life.

Frayling0

Flaxen said:
Well spotted on the beard - it also reminds me of that other card with the 2 dragons curled round a tree.

That would tie in with the cauldron as the Dagda was supposed to possess a cauldron which left no man unsatisfied and could make the dead come to life.

Awesome!

Oh, yes = Balance. Considering the abbas giant, and the balance, he seems to have elements from other cards. The fire at the bottom, boiling the cauldron, is very intense to me. Makes him seem even more larger than life.

jcwirish

Frayling0 said:
I agree with everything said initially, just wanted to point a few more of the details:

- Yes, he's definitely in command of nature. On the right side is the Cerne Abbas Giant in the hill (this is a real monument in England), the erect penis and the weapon pretty much call out empowerment, it even has its own card!

- I look at his beard, and I see a double helix of DNA... the blocks we're all made of. He really is in touch with the cosmos!

Awesome! I know very little about the Green Man mythology, so I may not be as insightful here as I would like to be. This is going to be all new to me. I love what you're seeing in his beard, and yes, the Cerne Abbas Giant emphasizes the male power here. The Giant isn't only a symbol of male virility, he is actually a part of the landscape. He is nature!

jcwirish

Flaxen said:

The book actually lists The Dagda in connection with this card. Again, I'm not familiar with the term, but it seems you've hit on something very important here.

Oops, missed your post above. :)

Flaxen

Frayling0 said:
Awesome!
Considering the abbas giant,
The giant would also be a good representation as the Dagda was believed to carry a club and drag his large penis around. :D

He was a mixture of father figure and slightly comical. I don't get a sense of the comical with this guy so much - he seems very serious and intense.

Frayling0

The arrangement of leaves on his forehead looks very much like a crown... his emperor roots are clear, but he's different in that his empire is nature itself.