Wildwood Cafe (Study group): 4 The Green Man

Flaxen

Can anyone with the card in front of them identify the leaves? Will Worthington is such a master at drawing trees I'm sure he would have chosen a real example. I can't see the leaves clearly...are they oak?

yirabeth

They're various leaves...not all one type. A mantle of leaves from all the trees of his forest, perhaps?

Frayling0

yirabeth said:
They're various leaves...not all one type. A mantle of leaves from all the trees of his forest, perhaps?

That's what I thought... samples of everything from throughout the Wildwood :)

yirabeth

jcwirish said:
It also seems that this figure shares more in common with his counter part, Th Green Woman, then the traditional Emperor does with his Empress. Usually we se the Emperor in a more stark and cold environment. He needs his Empress to soften him and provide the balance he can lack. This Figure is fully immersed in nature. He is a creator, as well as, a source for destruction. Does that seem accurate?

Oh yes, he definitely has his harsh side! The man don't look friendly, I say.... :D But he shows a softer side, one that is perhaps mediating the harsh side. I think he wouldn't be swayed solely by emotion, but that he would allow emotion to HELP make the decisions... IE, if it's totally a wrong thing to do, feeling sorrow won't stop him. But he'll still FEEL that sorrow... and if, all else being equal, he can give in to the emotional side, perhaps then he would feel joy.

jcwirish

yirabeth said:
Oh yes, he definitely has his harsh side! The man don't look friendly, I say.... :D But he shows a softer side, one that is perhaps mediating the harsh side. I think he wouldn't be swayed solely by emotion, but that he would allow emotion to HELP make the decisions... IE, if it's totally a wrong thing to do, feeling sorrow won't stop him. But he'll still FEEL that sorrow... and if, all else being equal, he can give in to the emotional side, perhaps then he would feel joy.

More than anything, this card just says ENERGY in its most basic, primal state. It's the intense energy of creativity and fertility. He'll offer it to you as long as you don't betray his trust or his laws. It can easily be turned into a destructive force.

The book says he is, "ever vigilant and unerringly stoical in his guardianship of the sacred land."

Frayling0

jcwirish said:
More than anything, this card just says ENERGY in its most basic, primal state. It's the intense energy of creativity and fertility. He'll offer it to you as long as you don't betray his trust or his laws. It can easily be turned into a destructive force.

The book says he is, "ever vigilant and unerringly stoical in his guardianship of the sacred land."

That phrase sums up his father position... nature is his child. He would not want to see it hurt, hence his intense appearance. He loves the world, but he fears people who may spoil it.

jcwirish

Frayling0 said:
That phrase sums up his father position... nature is his child. He would not want to see it hurt, hence his intense appearance. He loves the world, but he fears people who may spoil it.

Yes! Exactly.

Great discussion! I already feel an infinitely deeper understanding of this card. Lastly, I'd just like to say that I really like the activity projected through this card. He isn't just sitting on a throne somewhere surveying the world around him. He is actively participating and interacting with his environment. I get the feeling that at any moment he may look up and stare out at me from his world. I just love this image!

Stormdancer

OK...well, I am off to a GRAND start! ***sigh***

Ya see, I shuffled last night in anticipation of a "Daily draw" that didn't happen...SO....I'm trying to find THIS card so I can play. After the DUH moment, I thought to click on the link....

I've seen that card....I thought it was Temperance, or whatever it's called in this deck...SO

Hangonaminute ...............................While I find the right card.............

Stormdancer

AHA!!! :angel:

OK...the HORN??? What about the horn? If you put the Lady & the Lord next to each other, His horn is... ahem....stirring...ahem...Her pool...}) She is providing the pool, and He's stirring it. And look at his hands! The one holding the staff is fisted, solid, "I HAVE this in hand" while the hand holding the horn is more open, almost femme in a way...

And what about his arms? There's a "tatoo" for lack of a better word on the left arm, and a circlet of leaves on the right arm....dunno know what that may mean, especially since I can't clearly see the images.

I also see how Her mantle of leaves is Spring Green while His look Autumnal....

Is there a way we can study groups of cards? I feel like I'm careening OT...another BIG surprise...LOL

Stormdancer

Stormdancer said:
Is there a way we can study groups of cards? I feel like I'm careening OT...another BIG surprise...LOL

AND...this IS the crux of the new study group, isn't it?